Forums / Community / Poll Discussions

Dual Wielding - Good or Bad?

OP Improbable Dee

I'm curious to hear everyone's opinions on it as I've never been a huge fan of the mechanic; the fact that weapons need to be balanced means those which can be dual-wielded feel neutered on their own, with the Halo 2 magnum being the most notable example.
Would the other games have benefitted from having dual wielding? Do 2 and 3 suffer or stand out because of it?
Is there a different way you would have balanced it?
Are there weapons you think dual-wielding shouldn't have applied to?
Dual wielding is my favorite thing to do in Halo 3.
Given that we now have so many weapons in the sandbox dual wielding could do some good in making a distinction between the weapons.

Now the pistol has always been the argument against Dual Wielding as it was seen as the first casualty (and the first to start the classic vs modern mechanics debate). They changed the weapon considerably that it could no longer be considered the same weapon as in the first game, and each game brings up the question of which UNSC pistol they should take. My answer is why not both?

The M6D(Eagle) from Halo 1 and the M6C Magnum from Halo 2/3 can exist together. The M6C will not have a scope and do less damage but still have the headshot kill on unshielded enemies, also to make up for lack of punch it can be dual wielded with any other one handed weapon. The Hce M6D weapon will be the beast it was in the first game with high damage and the 2x scope, but it won't be dual wieldable. It will also have less effective range than the DMR, being more of a close quarters precision weapon.

Other issue is the Needler, well the only dual wielding one was the H2, while the H3 was not. I'd say take the H3 and then just make the shredder a single handed needle weapon that does not shoot tracking projectiles but still supercombines.

Next question would be which Promethean weapons would be dual wieldable, Everyone agrees the boltshot is a perfect candidate, for the suppressor the opinions are split, but I would say leave that as a two handed weapon. Only Promethean Soldiers will be able to dual wield those but that could be a unique trait as playable Promethean Soldiers being able to dual wield everything, but that is for another topic. Spartans Elites and Brutes should stick to only dual wielding one handed weapons.
I'm curious to hear everyone's opinions on it as I've never been a huge fan of the mechanic; the fact that weapons need to be balanced means those which can be dual-wielded feel neutered on their own, with the Halo 2 magnum being the most notable example.
Would the other games have benefitted from having dual wielding? Do 2 and 3 suffer or stand out because of it?
Really enjoy using dual-wielded weapons especially in H2 and H3 I also really like it when they throw in a curve ball with the scarab skull in H2 makes it so much fun!!

But serious note why not say dual swords? Or even dual Grav hammers? Just a bit curious on how that would affect the game as well as the game play within matchmaking
How do you throw grenades when dual?
How do you throw grenades when dual?
You can't—you have to drop your second weapon first.
Well dual wielding first came in Halo 2 because it was cool, and then it was discarded in H#: ODST because you were no longer a Spartan and then Reach didn't have it because they were trying to go back to the classic Halo CE style combat a bit (yes I did say classic style). I think with dual wielding or no dual wielding maybe it should be by playable characters (assuming that you can play as something other than a spartan). This is my take on which characters would be good on dual wielding if playable and which ones are not.
  • Spartans Of course dual wielding, these are cyborg super soldiers. Single hand weapons only, no shoulder or two handed weapons.
  • Elites Again just like the Spartans they should be able to dual wield. You couldn't in Reach but they did have the Generals with dual plasma rifles. Again single handed weapons like plasma rifles (which act more like SMGs) the Plasma Repeater should be considered a 2 handed weapon.
  • ODST No duals, sorry but these are not those guys. No duals
and some characters that I think could be playable but were not in the game.
  • Brutes I can see these guys dual wield since they were always able to hold a spiker with one hand. Again Single handed weapons only.
  • Flood Combat Forms no duals, again they are better at swiping and their aim is terrible.
  • Promethean Soldiers This is the only one where I would complexly break it and say they can dual wield everything. We seen the Knights hold two weapons all the time. Why not do the same?
Dual wielding was a big deal in 2004 when it was revealed. I know, I was there. Bring it back so the new generation of Halo fans can enjoy it.
I loved it my favorite was the dual needler
I honestly wouldn't mind if we saw variations of weapons both dual-weildable and non-dual-wieldable to suit different roles in the sandbox of the game. for instance, if we had a non dual wieldable pistol similar to that of the one in Halo 5: Guardians, where the weapon packs a substantial punch at a fairly long range, sports a scope, and is not dual wieldable. on the other hand, we could have a pistol more reminiscent of the one seen in Halo 2/2A. this weapon would sport low damage and range but compensated for by a fast rate of fire, and dual-Wieldable. this way we have two different weapons for two different play styles that occupy two completely different roles in the sandbox.
perhaps one could just be referred to as 'The Pistol' and the other would have the name of the iconic, 'Magnum' as to make a distinction between them. just throwing out ideas here, feel free to discuss with me!
I tell you this halo 5, missed out on this one. Especially becuase they added the brute plasma rifle into the game late. Which is pretty much useless in team slayer/ or on it own killing in multiplayer... they should have made it a dual-ing weapon... its almost impossible to kill a good player with one, without also finding a plasma pistol first. Only worth while way to get kills with it is to play Warzone and spawn in a higher level tier/mod of the thing....
It's fun but I don't want it for MP, keep it in SP.