1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2

Favorite Enemy?

Make Your Selection:

Had a hard time picking between Flood and Covenant, but had to go Covenant because they feel much more varied. You have to use different strategies to take each of them down. Compared to the Flood, you don't need as many varied strategies to take them down.

Covenant:
  • Unggoy - cannon fodder that are deadly in numbers
  • Kig Yar - snipers or moving shields you have to shoot around
  • Sangheili - command units that require combos or excessive bullets to take down
  • Jiralhanae - heavy hitters that require excessive bullets or grenades to take down
  • Yanme'e - flying combatants that require good aim and patience to take down
  • Mgalekgolo - walking tanks, need I say more?
Flood:
  • Infection Forms - pop with little effort
  • Carrier Forms - pop with little effort but explore
  • Combat Forms - swords or shotguns preferred
  • Pure Forms - swords or shotguns preferred
i dont think anyone realy likes prometheans.
i dont think anyone realy likes prometheans.
I think they all have their ups and downs.

Covenant

Pros: OG. There’s a variety. Lots of lore. Great voice lines.

Cons: Repetitive. It’s in every game. Lost some of its variety.

Flood

Pros: OG. Mysterious. Challenging.

Cons: Can get overwhelming, and nearly impossible to beat on legendary. Gross and pure evil.

Promethean

Pros: New. Looks pretty cool. Variety. Got some good weapons.

Cons: New, people haven’t warmed up to them. Only one vehicle. Annoyingly difficult to fight on heroic or above.

That being said I vote for Covenant. Also you didn’t include the Banished. They are pretty awesome too.
Cant really decide between covenant & the flood, in the games they have been they work really well together.
Covenant is really the base of the enemies in Halo franchise with familiar species having balanced weapons opposing the human armaments with plasma working better on shields while bullets work better on hp.
The covenant used to be the one presenting more advanced technological threat which had great resources in disposal of let's say, fanatic leadership to keep this short.
Individually, even though usually physically more imposing than regular humans, covenant species became more like cannon fodder, thats where such things as scarabs came in the picture, a technological miniboss, depending obviously about which type of scarab is in question.
Still, covenant species have potential for display of quite a clash with lots of blue explosions meeting the reddish fires of human technology for example with space battles & why not even return something like the scarab? As in a type of miniboss that is not scripted to just walk past once & then on the next area just stick on one place while some nearly regular mob fight consists.
So, covenant still has some potential as enemies but the problem with them now is that they have lost much of their variety thanks to lessened importance of vehicles which in turn is thanks to some extra animations in mobility while on foot.

Halo really needs the covenant species as much as doom needs its demons, imps & other classic foes.

So then I could move onto the flood, now, as the covenant establishes a powerful technological foe, so does the flood represent a powerful biological foe, simply put. As what they bring to the gameplay is the agile, large in numbers natyrally & usually melee based enemy which also utilizes what it consumes, this gives flood some mixed weaponry, even on range which can make them deadly in numbers with bost plasma & ballistic type of weaponry.

The floods strenght in general doesnt come from their individual strengths but in their numbers, the mob enemies are just husks of the fallen accompanied by sluggish carriers & fragile infection forms. Most of those can be gunned down very easily but the thing is, they rise back up, and that means movement is survival & that destroying the flood means bringing in the big guns. This presents opportunities for cleansing missions.

Now flood has rarer cases of individual strenght or rather collective, physically collective infact. That obviously means the floods ability to assimilate bodies to form some imposing beings which could be used as boss material & this aspect of them has been pretty much overlooked though Halo is not specifically known for boss battles to be fair.

Then there is the minor horror aspect of them, every dead being means reinforcements or more mass and resources for the flood. The way this is accomplished is not very pleasant way indeed but it kind of adds as to why the flood is the only enemy the covenant fears.

So there we have the balance between the opponents in Halo, both factions with their own role and purpose.
I went with the Covenant. There is a lot more variety with them.
I think the Flood are the best imo.
Though I voted covenant, I did really enjoy fighting the prometheans in Halo 4 and Halo 5, especially the knights. The A.I knights in Halo 4 were ruthless and smart as hell when on legendary lol.
Anything but the prometheans.
I got tired of the Flood very quickly. The Covenant had a lot of variety. From the different armed Grunts to the Jackals and Skirmishers, it changed your tactical situation. Flood were just an interesting take on space zombies.
The Squigz wrote:
I got tired of the Flood very quickly. The Covenant had a lot of variety. From the different armed Grunts to the Jackals and Skirmishers, it changed your tactical situation. Flood were just an interesting take on space zombies.
Good to know I'm not the only one who's sick of the Flood. I'd rather fight Prometheans than the Flood, to be honest.
The Squigz wrote:
Good to know I'm not the only one who's sick of the Flood. I'd rather fight Prometheans than the Flood, to be honest.
The Prometheans aren’t perfect, but were more interesting than the Flood. I thing the Crawlers and Watchers could be easily replaced by the Sentinels.
The Squigz wrote:
The Prometheans aren’t perfect, but were more interesting than the Flood. I thing the Crawlers and Watchers could be easily replaced by the Sentinels.
I like how the Sentinels have a plasma weakness, since it encourages the use of weapons like the plasma rifle (which I don't usually use otherwise). I may be wrong since I haven't actually tested it, but it feels like the Crawlers/Watchers/Soldiers can be killed in the same way with any type of precision weapon. A rework in how certain weapons affect them could definitely help players feel like there's an actual strategy to it. I'm a big fan how the Knights were turned into the Promethean version of the Hunters, though. Huge upgrade from the Halo 4 Knights.
I have the most fun fighting against the covenant. They're so great that in Halo Reach they are the only enemy faction to fight, yet I still really enjoy that game, proving they can hold their own!
Hahahaha. I feel bad for 343 and the Prometheans. I absolutely hated fighting the Prometheans in Halo 4. I think they really balanced it out in Halo 5; the addition of the Soldier was a really good choice. I think they also added the ability to blow off the Knight's pauldrons in Halo 5, which made them a more interesting enemy. I think that living up to the standards set by and creating an enemy equal to the Covenant at this point is extremely difficult. We've had 12 years to come to know and love the Covenant—they set the bar. The Covenant are my favorite for that reason. They feel the most "Halo" to fight. I think it also helps that they have a lot of diversity, being that each enemy type is also its own race. Where the Promethean are just different sized versions of the same white and orange.

I think they can improve the Prometheans going forward. I hope they made some changes in Halo 6 and I look forward to seeing them...
Covenant because they have an in depth culture and interesting differences between each race. Promethians are cool since some are partly ancient human but that’s about as far as my interests goes for them.
The Covenant are the best imo.
The Flood (mostly in H3) and the Prometheans are a chore to fight.
I think the Flood is the best for me.
The Covenant without a doubt. The flood definitely played a big role though. I couldn't care less about the Prometheans and their space magic.
For me, it has to be the Covenant. They are very fun to fight, as there is a wide variety of enemies and they each have their own unique tactics. With regards to lore, they are a very interesting faction with a deep history.

While I also like the Flood and they are absolutely terrifying and powerful in the lore, there isn't much variety in terms of enemy types. Halo 3 did try to mix things up with the pure Flood forms, which I do appreciate.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2