Forums / Community / Poll Discussions

Fall Damage in Halo Infinate, Yay or Nay?

OP Marinealver

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2

Should there be Fall Damage in Halo Infinate?

Poll Ends

Make Your Selection:

So what do you think about fall damage in gameplay. Me personally I like it to come back. I always found the gameplay to be more tense when you know large falls can hurt you. I get the idea that the Chief can fall from orbit and never die, but for multiplayer I like it if fall damage was a thing. I know in Halo 2 and 3 the idea of paradroping from flying vehicles was considered a tactic but we got jetpacks now so take one with you before you go jump in an aircraft.

Maybe for a compromise in campaign there is no fall damage but in multiplayer there is. Other than that I say put it back in.
I think there should be fall damage to some degree, as in not overdone as in some games where 2 meters fall breaks legs, so the distance without damage could be few meters given advanced gear but definitely after that there should be some damage, for it's pretty much armor lock that saves operators from extreme falls but it doesn't seem to kick in that rapidly and in some shown cases (Halo 3 - Arrival for example) seem to require a rescue team to release the lock.
And in case of gravity lifts (hopefully there will be such) the impact could be less efficient with more horizontal line whereas vertical lifts could be somewhat risky if higher platform is not reached, not perhaps to the degree of imminent death but simply more damage than from more horizontal versions.
And hijacking an aerial vehicle should be highly risky to give some value for the vehicles and the actions themselves.
I didn't really like fall damage in Reach and CE since it kind of forced you to get around some points where there was no need to do so. I simply feel it doesn't add much to the gameplay honestly. I understand that in some points it is necessary, like the bridges in Halo CE otherwise you'd get to the bottom of the canyon, but that's a completely different thing. I want to jump free without too many worries! :D
Nah I think that limits movement too much
Fall damage makes you feel more fragile, something I don't want to experience when playing as a super-soldier wearing armor designed for orbital entry (with additional gear, but the point stands). Any fall distance short of diving into an abyss shouldn't be a threat to an armored Spartan.

In any future games where we play as a Marine, fall damage would make sense.
I want fall damage to an extent. We got a multi-billion dollar suit, so there really shouldn't be much, but for especially high falls, there should be some indication that the suit is having to compensate for the kinetic energy expenditure on impact. It should be pretty minor though, not a full drain like sometimes happens in CE.
I love fall damage in CE. It wasn't that bad and the ability to mitigate the damage by crouching at the right time was rewarding.
Against fall damage; if Master Chief can fall from like 2km's (or however far he fell in the beginning of Halo 3) and walk off a limp, I should be able to drop between 10 to 50 feet like it's nothing. Besides, the only thing fall damage was meant for in Halo: Combat Evolved was to keep you from cheating by jumping off of high places to skip certain areas (ex: the ledge with the cutscene in The Silent Cartographer where you can jump down and survive if you land just right or the bridge on Assault on the Control Room which allows you to bypass several checkpoints making an easy skip if you can do it just right). It honestly made more sense in Halo: Combat Evolved because his armor wasn't upgraded and was our starting armor. Now that he's gotten upgrades and the Mark VII is actually designed for re-entry, I don't see how it would fit or make sense at all.
NAG4SE wrote:
I didn't really like fall damage in Reach and CE since it kind of forced you to get around some points where there was no need to do so. I simply feel it doesn't add much to the gameplay honestly. I understand that in some points it is necessary, like the bridges in Halo CE otherwise you'd get to the bottom of the canyon, but that's a completely different thing. I want to jump free without too many worries! :D
Well the thing with Reach forge is how it calculates fall damage was interesting as if you were on a block and both you and the block falls you could end up surviving the fall with little to no damage. I tried to make a animated drop pod but couldn't get too far past the concept. I don't know if this was a host only ability but it was something I wanted to try for an invasion style map. Of course it would be better if we just had drop pods to use instead of trying to set up some sort of Rube-Goldberg machine to trick the physics engine. But I think it is way better than not having fall damage or invincibility powerup.
No! I hate having fall damage! In fact it still annoys me that since Halo 2 in MCC is the Vista port you can take fall damage sometimes.
No! I hate having fall damage! In fact it still annoys me that since Halo 2 in MCC is the Vista port you can take fall damage sometimes.
Agreed on both points here. Fall damage is annoying and I really hope that the fall damage in H2 (MCC) gets fixed.
I kinda liked fall damage in CE, it made you learn how to Crouch Land to avoid the shock!

And it made crossing the high bridges on Hang em High kinda nerve racking knowing that you couldnt just jump down willy nilly!
I wouldn't mind it
Fall damage is boring.
Fall damage always sucked. But it is funny to just push your friend off of a cliff.
I enjoy fall damage for the sake of realism in the game. It made you plan your movements and avoid just jumping off the highest part of the map to look cool. It also gave a risk/reward system when you are escaping enemy fire. If you jump off this cliff, you'll escape the enemies that are pinning you down, but doing so could make you lose your shields, and that grunt over there looks like he's doing lines of coke off of his fuel rod cannon. It also made sense (kinda) lore wise. Halo CE's armor was older/didn't have the necessary components to reduce fall damage, whereby the next iteration of it did. The Spartan III's didn't have the newest armor, so they too didn't escape the wraith of gravity.

Gameplay in mind, I think it lends itself to more permanent positioning. If you can get to the high spot overlooking the map without sliding off and damaging yourself, go to town. Once you're up there, you'll want to stay up there because you cant jump down without harming yourself either. Although the disadvantage of that is that it does limit movement and makes players more cautious, which to be frank, I'm fairly tired of Spartans jumping around like rabbits off of cliffs and buildings, so I could use the change XD Played some CE multiplayer the other day, and that was very refreshing :)
Despite being my favorite Halo game, fall damage is one of the things I never liked about Reach. For me it just takes out the possibility of pulling off some really cool escapes/flanks in multiplayer while in Campaign it would feel like a shackle for exploration if you made one wrong move.
I would say yes, but like in H4 (allowing for a lot of distance before getting damaged)
Ever since Chief crash fell to Earth from space in Halo 3 and survived I've been on the No Fall Damage bandwagon.
Maybe a penalty instead of damage...Like locking up your armor for like 3 to 4 seconds. That happened to chief a lot.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2