Forums / Community / Poll Discussions

Favourite enemy type to fight against in halo?

OP Lange

Favourite enemy type to fight against in halo?

Make Your Selection:

What is your favourite enemy to fight against, gameplay wise? My order is:
1. Covenant
2. Flood
3. Prometheans

The covenant is by far my favourite, especially halo 2 with its diverse set of enemies including elites AND brutes.
I find fighting the prometheans very frustrating. The soldiers and knights are constantly teleporting around and the updated knights in halo 5 are just annoying to kill. And then there’s the bane of my existence: watchers that fly and hide like little -Yoinks!- when you shoot at them.

Let me know your order!
I would say Covenant is pretty good & diversed base enemy faction, after that, the flood as a little horror element with largely different tactics that are more melee & overpowering focused
Sentinels sort of work as a faction, they simply seem like mass produced advanced mechanical guard units, not much variation, simply meant to combat the flood as primary focus, simple as that.

Though where did sentinels disappear? before they were pretty much anywhere where there was forerunner technology & now it's along the lines of "snap, replaced with prometheans, deal with it".

The prometheans, so far, have been ranther cheap versions of existing enemy types & their weapons are basically reskinned models of existing weapons, perhaps with a bit more kick which in worst cases makes more classic weapons almost obsolete. they are pretty much like covenant but with less variation & no vehicles to speak of.
And the spawn mechanics are just basic spawns like, snap, heres the next horde on open ground, okay, then run to next place, snap, here appears next horde out of thin air.
And apparently they were everywhere but without a trace, log or anything related to them.
So far, I haven't found redeeming qualities to them.
I would say covenant, but i love slaying space zombies. Flood are my favourite because back when i was a child they scared the s--t out of me and gave me a Lot of good time. I cannot remember howmany times i played their levels in Halo CE
Without a doubt the Covenant. The Flood are fun in their own way, but they lack variety. Even in H3 with the different variants of combat forms, infection forms, carrier forms, and pure forms, they all could be taken down fairly easily with a shotgun/energy sword combo. That's true of just about any game. You know when you fight the Flood that those two weapons are guaranteed to get you out of any situation with the Flood.

The Covenant are a different story. Each species has different strengths and weaknesses. You have to employ more strategy, pick different weapons from the sandbox aside from one or two go-to weapons, and approach each encounter differently depending on the makeup of the enemy squad. A bunch of grunts and one Elite? Go with the plasma pistol. A swarm of buggers? Pick any automatic weapon. Brutes? A shotgun and a long-range power weapon. Hunters? Heavy weapons (or the CE pistol lol). Jackal snipers in H2? Sniper rifle. There's no limit to the combinations that can be effective or ineffective.

As for Prometheans... ugh I just don't like fighting against them. Especially in H4, the only viable option is to pick a long-range weapon and pick them off from a distance. Anything up close will get you killed by a Promethean Knight who feels like teleporting right on top of you at a moments notice.
I have to say the Covenant. The Flood is very fun but I have to be in a good mood. I am usually annoyed by fighting thirty of them in front of my to die to one that spawned behind me. They are also unpredictable when I think they are going to run and shoot they launch themselves in the air instead. The Covenant is more predictable and slower paced but still a decent threat. No weird teleporting or spawning behind you going on.
I would say the Covenant due to how familiar I am with them now
I always liked the idea of space zombies so the flood
The flood needs more love. Who doesn't like shooting popcorn?
I would have to go with the flood because when going through the mcc on legendary it was always a fun time going against the flood rather than dealing with a group of brutes and elites. That and the covenant has sniper jackals which was never fun to deal with on legendary difficulty.
Lange wrote:
What is your favourite enemy to fight against, gameplay wise? My order is:
1. Covenant
2. Flood
3. Prometheans

The covenant is by far my favourite, especially halo 2 with its diverse set of enemies including elites AND brutes.
I find fighting the prometheans very frustrating. The soldiers and knights are constantly teleporting around and the updated knights in halo 5 are just annoying to kill. And then there’s the bane of my existence: watchers that fly and hide like little -Yoinks!- when you shoot at them.

Let me know your order!
The “oh -Yoink-” factor never goes away when fighting the flood, which is why they’re my favorite. Obviously I very much enjoy fighting covenant since day 1 (except jackal snipers...)

I’ve noticed alot of folks don’t like fighting Prometheans or don’t like them at all, however I truly enjoy it. They’re very advanced, very alien, and aaaalmost unfair. They do a good job representing the highly advanced military force of the Forerunner Warrior-Servants with the tactical teleportation and very diverse enemy types. Not only is the concept of them cool, but fighting them is just plain satisfying.
I would say Covenant is pretty good & diversed base enemy faction, after that, the flood as a little horror element with largely different tactics that are more melee & overpowering focused
Sentinels sort of work as a faction, they simply seem like mass produced advanced mechanical guard units, not much variation, simply meant to combat the flood as primary focus, simple as that.

Though where did sentinels disappear? before they were pretty much anywhere where there was forerunner technology & now it's along the lines of "snap, replaced with prometheans, deal with it".

The prometheans, so far, have been ranther cheap versions of existing enemy types & their weapons are basically reskinned models of existing weapons, perhaps with a bit more kick which in worst cases makes more classic weapons almost obsolete. they are pretty much like covenant but with less variation & no vehicles to speak of.
And the spawn mechanics are just basic spawns like, snap, heres the next horde on open ground, okay, then run to next place, snap, here appears next horde out of thin air.
And apparently they were everywhere but without a trace, log or anything related to them.
The Sentinels are the workforce of the Forerunner installations, not the military. And they’re present in both Halo 4 and 5, they never went anywhere.
Until Halo 4 the Prometheans had no reason to make themselves known.
All of the enemies in the Promethean faction are vastly different from any other in Halo. You may want to look a little closer, I don’t remember fighting robo-dogs and huge teleporting Forerunner enemies in the Covenant.
I don’t want to be a butt, but while I respect your opinion whole heartedly your reasoning for disliking the Prometheans is both lazy and unfounded.
I understand where you’re coming from but I don’t quite understand what you’re seeing. I mean this in the most innocent and genuine way, can you explain more so I can see what you see?

The Sentinels are the workforce of the Forerunner installations, not the military. And they’re present in both Halo 4 and 5, they never went anywhere.
Until Halo 4 the Prometheans had no reason to make themselves known.
All of the enemies in the Promethean faction are vastly different from any other in Halo. You may want to look a little closer, I don’t remember fighting robo-dogs and huge teleporting Forerunner enemies in the Covenant.
I don’t want to be a butt, but while I respect your opinion whole heartedly your reasoning for disliking the Prometheans is both lazy and unfounded.
I understand where you’re coming from but I don’t quite understand what you’re seeing. I mean this in the most innocent and genuine way, can you explain more so I can see what you see?
Firstly, sentinels as a "faction" are both automated workforce & defence system, there are different types of sentinels throughout Halo games, most common of which have been aggressors which are designed to be a security force as one of their jobs, hence the beam to destroy the flood.
There also are Enforcers, if aggressors wont show image of a forerunner automaton meant to combat the flood then perhaps a huge flying robot that fires rocket barrages & pulse beams, does.
You can also see constructors in Halo 2, the small repairbots seen when Arbiter is tasked to retrieve the index.
So sentinels, as a whole, were that which remained of forerunners before, still maintaining & defending the forerunner constructions while in some places, still attempting to keep the flood at bay, this left the image of an ancient & advanced civilization, long gone in flesh but left behind automated systems that maintained & safeguarded forerunner constructs.
And I remember seeing a handful of aggressors in H4 before getting your hands on first hardlight shield, that seemed more like a cameo than a proper role in a game, however I don't recall seeing any in H5g, so care to elaborate in which part did you witness their presence?

And I guess eradicating the flood outbreaks to prevent yet another last case scenario of eradicating all sentient life in the galaxy with gods own hula-hoops wasn't reason enough, just leave that to the floaters.
And even if they couldn't be awaken, there were no other traces about them, not even from robotic ones like crawlers which seemed plentiful & were meant to combat the flood, but I guess only some robot types bother to combat the outbreaks while others crawl to their holes.

Or when humans blew up a Halo ring, part of the system that is meant as last resort to combat the flood & the only way after certain point.

And even if the promethean troops look different, they fill basically the same roles as others, usually they are precision weapon targets with hacks.
And when I mention that they are cheap versions of existing enemies, that means mostly that the effective tactics of dispatching them is pretty similar to existing enemies, robo dogs are basically like any other fodder, single headshot, thats the battle, how original & giving that advanced tier 1 technology robot feel, knights fill pretty much the same roles as elites, dispatch the shields, headshot, watch out for melee.
Though not going through every single aspects in this post as it simply takes so much room.
So every fight goes into similar precision weapon fight as it goes with the covenant, the effective gameplay stays the same making the fights the same.
And teleports are big thing which makes them the cheap versions, whats better than giving the enemy AI temporary invincibility hack.

So, their design is, at least inconsistent with what has been shown before from forerunner technology, they have similar precicion weapon target roles as many other enemies, their weapons mess up the plasma/ ballistic shield/health balance, they have cheapest spawn design possible & so forth.

I could make a comparison with flood here as example, while covenant were the units that were efficient to pick off from distance, the flood were the "up your face" type pressure unit, which brought variation to gameplay, while fighting covenant the efficient weapons were something against shields & a precision weapon, the weapons efficient against flood were speed & close range weaponry meant for crowd control.
Which brought variation & change of pace for gameplay.
Now with prometheans, it's pretty much the same pace with same effective weapons with the case of fighting the covenant, precision weapons then get to the next spawn.

And before mentioned, power weapons are meant to be universal, no one likes a rocket to the face that much but the supplies for that are limited.
unpopular opinion, i prefer the prometheans because they all have specific weakspots that are very clear.