Forums / Community / Poll Discussions

Grunt Goblins in Infinite's Campaign

OP MinusSquire2145

Would you like to see the GG in a Halo campaign?

Make Your Selection:

Would you be fine if the Grunt Goblin Jockey transferred from Warzone to Campaign; either in Halo: Infinite’s Campaign or any other future Halo title?
Points Against:
  • Its entire design was intended for Halo 5 Warzone.
  • It’s quite wacky. Therefore, it might feel out of place in a more lore-based mode like Campaign over Warzone (which is a simulation).
  • It could be classified as a boss fight or mini-boss fight, which many don’t wish to see in Halo campaigns after previous attempts (including Halo 2 character encounters and the Warden Eternal in Halo 5).
Points For:
  • Its visuals, AI, combat abilities and hitpoints could be adjusted to suit a Campaign setting.
  • The Grunts were always very wacky in comparison with other FPS enemies. Nothing quite as quirky has ever been introduced since the first appearance of the Grunts in the original Halo campaign. It might be nice to see more of that humorous side of Halo. The Goblin could fit right at home in a Halo Campaign.
  • The first appearances of Hunters and Elite Zealots felt somewhat like mini-boss encounters during the early days of Halo CE, and fighting them was always quite exciting. Some might disagree that Halo 2’s character encounters were even boss fights to begin with and that providing a little more variation within the enemy array might add a fresher overall experience to a Halo campaign.
Off-topic: If the Hunters return in Infinite, 343i, please don’t make them those solid, immovable walls from Halo 5. That’s just not fun to fight. Hunter flesh shouldn’t soak up bullets, and believe it or not, they should be able to move around. In Bungie’s game, a good swing and a miss from a Hunter was all you needed to expose its weak points. In Halo 5, it’s like fighting a statue. Please don’t make that mistake with future Hunters, Goblins or any other enemy. Grazie.
I'm going to say no. I personally find the design to be goofy, and I don't think that it would work well in the campaign. By all means include it in the non-canon multiplayer modes, just not in the story. Even if they do end up in the campaign, it won't ruin the game for me.
I want them in Infinite. Brings more depth and variety. Also makes sense given that the Grunts joined Cortana, she would then provide them with resources like Goblins.
I don’t think Goblins would be considered a boss fight. I’m very certain that in reality, they are on par with the Mantis in terms of health and firepower. It just doesn’t seem that way because it’s a non player vehicle and solely designed as a boss in Warzone, so it’s stats have been bloated way out of proportion.

If it was scaled down to realistic canon levels it would just be a regular enemy to fight just like the Wraith.

So yes, I want it in campaign.
Since the Grunts will likely be a main enemy faction in Infinite, I think they need a proper vehicle of their own, and the Grunt Goblin seems to be appropriate for that role. Sure it looks goofy and awkward, but so do the Grunts. So the style fits well with the faction it is intended to represent.
i like it
I think it would be fun to fight against them in a game or even be able to get in it like a mantis.
Yes but with a classic art style then we are talking!
I just do not think the covenant would allow grunts to posses that powerful of a weapon. Wraiths have always been manned by Brutes or elites. I think the concept is just to silly to be in campaign. I would like to see some sort of covenant mech though! Maybe a similar potential enemy would be giant hunters like the one's seen in Halo Legends that the old arbiter fights.
I just do not think the covenant would allow grunts to posses that powerful of a weapon. Wraiths have always been manned by Brutes or elites. I think the concept is just to silly to be in campaign. I would like to see some sort of covenant mech though! Maybe a similar potential enemy would be giant hunters like the one's seen in Halo Legends that the old arbiter fights.
I agree that the Covenant would not allow the Grunts to be so powerful. But the Covenant is gone. There are factions and all that jazz, but in terms of the Created, I don't see why Cortana would have an issue with the Grunts getting their own mechs.
I think might be happene, you know more enemies and the new cortana.
I want them in Infinite. Brings more depth and variety. Also makes sense given that the Grunts joined Cortana, she would then provide them with resources like Goblins.
Agreed. And honestly, more depth and variety is something we have needed in Halo for a while. What's more is that they actually feel like a Halo enemy.

Since the Grunts will likely be a main enemy faction in Infinite, I think they need a proper vehicle of their own, and the Grunt Goblin seems to be appropriate for that role. Sure it looks goofy and awkward, but so do the Grunts. So the style fits well with the faction it is intended to represent.
Huh. Grunts being their own faction. I never thought about that, but I quite like the idea. 343i could give them all sorts of Grunty gizmos and gadgets.

StuftRock1 wrote:
If it was scaled down to realistic canon levels it would just be a regular enemy to fight just like the Wraith.
I'd be happy with that.

S278J wrote:
Yes but with a classic art style then we are talking!
Oh. One hundred percent!

I agree that the Covenant would not allow the Grunts to be so powerful. But the Covenant is gone. There are factions and all that jazz, but in terms of the Created, I don't see why Cortana would have an issue with the Grunts getting their own mechs.
This.

Overall, I wasn't expecting this much support for the Grunt Goblin. Hopefully 343i sees this.
Not really, not only are there other more suitable vehicle options for such battlefield scenarios the grunt goblin.
Also, it it's pretty much a contrast representation of where a grunts strenght lies, their usual strenght is their numbers & occasionally the apparent favoring of damage over defence (though more likely about common disregard of singular grunt lives given their numbers & the replenishment rate of their numbers) with them having basic combat harness (which funnily enough seems to work well against flood infection forms given its thickness) while simultaneously operating turrets & heavy explosive weapons in addition to the usual cheap mass model weapons.

Every game needs its so called cannon fodder which works as a base for the entire scale of enemy forces, them being more basic in combat helps better bring out the differences of various different units.
But like with marines, fitting battlefield dialogue enhances the experience, even with the basic troops & makes them more lively.

It's not entirely about whether its "wacky", it's more about which type of wacky.

Though given the setting of Infinite seemingly being about fighting galaxy wide enslaving (or pacification, whichever term you prefer) of sentient beings, a mech driver with halfwitted lines & high pitched voice might be just a little bit out of place.
I hope the Goblin makes some sort of appearance in Infinite’s campaign. It’s one of the more interesting concepts that H5 introduced. The insults they yell while attacking are perfect examples of the grunt humor that has always been present in Halo. It also makes since that grunts would be able to develop more advanced technology now that the covenant has fallen and they joined forces with the created
Sure! I could see it making an appearance as a boss. It definitely makes your average grunt much more challenging