Forums / Community / Poll Discussions

Halo Crossovers: Hit or Miss?

OP MorseyBaby

With the recent announcements of Halo crossover characters/skins in both Gears of War 5 and Sea of Thieves (plus previous examples in fighting games and the warthog in Forza) Halo seems to be popping up all over the place.

So what does the Halo Waypoint community make of all this? Yay? Nay? Indifferent? Happy this way but not the other way? Even wanting other games to send characters the other way?
I like the crossovers, but it wouldn’t make me play a game I wasn’t going to anyways.
I am just like whatever. I like certain gears characters and use them and probably will never use the halo skins.
BIGB EC wrote:
I am just like whatever. I like certain gears characters and use them and probably will never use the halo skins.
Can relate to that.
Definitely a cool idea, and I'm happy to see Halo getting some recognition in other series, but it wouldn't make me play a game I wasn't going to play already. However in this case, I will be playing Gears 5 anyway lol.

Funny though, were the tables turned, I don't think I'd like it very much. I'm a huge lore nerd, and multiplayer is now a part of the lore. So adding in characters from other franchises would seem weird to me.
Definitely a cool idea, and I'm happy to see Halo getting some recognition in other series, but it wouldn't make me play a game I wasn't going to play already. However in this case, I will be playing Gears 5 anyway lol.

Funny though, were the tables turned, I don't think I'd like it very much. I'm a huge lore nerd, and multiplayer is now a part of the lore. So adding in characters from other franchises would seem weird to me.
Yeah, I know what you mean. The lore side of it would pain me, but I also feel some unease at the idea we're too good to accept anything else
I think it's cool. Especially Arbiter in KI, he fit so well in that game.
I don't really care about other games featuring the Master Chief as a playable character but it would break the immersion in Halo to see some random other characters in the story.
I don't really care about other games featuring the Master Chief as a playable character but it would break the immersion in Halo to see some random other characters in the story.
Doubt they'd ever be part of a story. An example of how they could be used would be in Firefight- like how Kat and Emile are in Gears 5 Horde
MorseyBaby wrote:

Yeah, I know what you mean. The lore side of it would pain me, but I also feel some unease at the idea we're too good to accept anything else
Idk if it's necessarily about being too good for it. It's just that I see crossovers as potentially gimmicky depending on how they are implemented. I mean in this case, Reach coming to MCC (and MCC to PC) will undoubtedly benefit from the exposure in Gears 5. So there is definitely an element of marketing for MCC as a whole with this crossover. That doesn't make it good or bad, just food for thought.

While I like the idea of Halo characters getting limited exposure in other games, I would be understanding of those who love that particular game who aren't particularly fond of the idea for fear of it diluting their own lore.
MorseyBaby wrote:

Idk if it's necessarily about being too good for it. It's just that I see crossovers as potentially gimmicky depending on how they are implemented. I mean in this case, Reach coming to MCC (and MCC to PC) will undoubtedly benefit from the exposure in Gears 5. So there is definitely an element of marketing for MCC as a whole with this crossover. That doesn't make it good or bad, just food for thought.

While I like the idea of Halo characters getting limited exposure in other games, I would be understanding of those who love that particular game who aren't particularly fond of the idea for fear of it diluting their own lore.
Absolutely agree there. A lot of other games don't treat everything as canon, whereas even Firefight in Halo can potentially have semi-canon status (I hesitate to say full due to some of the reach voice customisation options)
I think it's pretty awesome in other games but i would not like to see any other games as crossovers in a Halo title.
As an community event in the multiplayer like e.g Fortnite X Avengers it would be cool or as an Easter egg that can be found but not as an integrated part of the game.
So is Sera now a lost UNSC colony?
So is Sera now a lost UNSC colony?
Negative: it's entirely non-canon
Having something Halo themed in another game doesn't really have an effect on me, as long as it's nothing too much on the show, as in it shouldn't have constant on your face precence given I prefer games to have their own style.

Best crossovers imo, would be something like hidden easter eggs or references instead of outfits & such given in most cases, it quickly starts to look out of place.

Same goes for possible crossover references in Halo games.

So for me, it depends on the type of crossover in games. Intrusive/on your face types are offputting but subtle nods to other games can be rather positive glimpse at best.

So crossover references definitely wouldn't make me reconsider buying a product if I deem it otherwise incompatible with my view of a product worth spending money on.