Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Poll Discussions

[Locked] Halo Infinite: Hitscan or Projectile?

OP BeneficBen

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2

Should Halo Infinite use Hitscan or projectile?

Poll Ended

As Halo Infinite is going to be implementing a mix of new & old Halo, I'd like to know what method of hit-detection you would prefer?
I'm a hitscan guy. Call me a noob but I just like being able to aim at a guys head, pull the trigger, and the bullet connects, it's so damn satisfying. It's the main reason I think H2 is better than H3.
For online play, I think hitscan makes the most sense. Keeps things consistent. I see the argument for projectile, and as long as they weren't as ridiculously slow as H3's BR, they might work just fine.
Im not really sure which i like the idea of more hitscan can save you some time and trouble when connection issues happen but the projectile system can add a extra layer of skill and realism to the game.
Im not really sure which i like the idea of more hitscan can save you some time and trouble when connection issues happen but the projectile system can add a extra layer of skill and realism to the game.
Your post summed up how I feel about it.

I like the skill & realism of Projectile but I feel Hitscan makes the game and, more importantly, the multiplayer more accessible to players.
I would prefer hitscan, but I think what will help make this decision for the game is what, if any, Spartan Abilities return.

Things like Thrust in the game warrant hitscan projectiles in my opinion.
Projectile. Higher skill gap. Cool.
Hitscan for me
Projectile. Hitscan feels dated nowadays imo.
Hitscan, I love Halo 3 but the gunplay was never as satisfying as Halo 2.

This post has been hidden.

Hitscan is nice for online play, I like H3's projectile hit detection, but at least in MCC the amount you have to lead is very inconsistent and if my internet is having a bad day (which happens every now and then) it can get pretty frustrating. I'd be fine with either but prefer the consistency of hitscan.
Could projectile speed be increased so that at appropriate ranges it is essentially hitscan? So you wouldn't have to lead your shots like Halo 3 at mid-range, but you wouldn't be able to use the BR at Halo 2 ranges either.
JB Linken wrote:
Could projectile speed be increased so that at appropriate ranges it is essentially hitscan? So you wouldn't have to lead your shots like Halo 3 at mid-range, but you wouldn't be able to use the BR at Halo 2 ranges either.
That sounds like a good compromise. 343 could also add bullet drop at longer ranges to balance it.
As much as projectile makes the game more realistic, hitscan works on a level all players can compete on.
For online play, hitscan is almost required. Ideally, everyone would be connected to the internet properly and there would be no network issues whatsoever. That’s not the case and projectiles would only serve to amplify the number of posts criticizing hit registration. Also, introducing inconsistency in a game where consistency is a crutch (eg., post-2017 BR in H5) is not the best idea.

Introducing all sorts of variables and justifying it as skill is simply not true. For example, Chess is a relatively straightforward and balanced game, but one that takes tons of practice to master. Same thing with hitscan weapons and Halo in general.
tuhin94 wrote:
For online play, hitscan is almost required. Ideally, everyone would be connected to the internet properly and there would be no network issues whatsoever. That’s not the case and projectiles would only serve to amplify the number of posts criticizing hit registration. Also, introducing inconsistency in a game where consistency is a crutch (eg., post-2017 BR in H5) is not the best idea.

Introducing all sorts of variables and justifying it as skill is simply not true. For example, Chess is a relatively straightforward and balanced game, but one that takes tons of practice to master. Same thing with hitscan weapons and Halo in general.
Regarding Projectile hit detection, I think it's 50% skill and 50% how good your network is lol

Overall, it looks like Hitscan would be the best option for Infinite as there seems to be more positives than negatives.
BeneficBen wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:

Regarding Projectile hit detection, I think it's 50% skill and 50% how good your network is lol

Overall, it looks like Hitscan would be the best option for Infinite as there seems to be more positives than negatives.
Yeah that’s true. If they had it for LAN though, I think it could be fun.
tuhin94 wrote:
BeneficBen wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:

Yeah that’s true. If they had it for LAN though, I think it could be fun.
Good point. Halo 3 had projectile, and I learned recently how actions are calculated and prioritized in the game. Your shots are not number 1 on the list, so because of this you encounter situations where you do correctly aim and shoot your target, but the game does not register the hit. The infamous "blood shot."
if we're just talking non power weapons from all factions, my question is, will projectile weapons do more damage than hitscan ones or the same.

if the answer is the same then you have a broken sandbox that no one is going to use in 95% of their fights given a choice. because as range increases hitscan's advantage increases and when a weapon doesn't have an advantage at close range and a disadvantage at longer ranges why would you use it?

promethean weapons in h5 are in a weird spot the boltshot and suppressor mainly, as their projectiles track making them easier to use but the suppressor's tracking is garbage compared to the boltshots who's range is garbage compared to almost everything
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2