Forums / Community / Poll Discussions

[Locked] Halos new art style

OP NOPLAY3R FOUND

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post inappropriate content. This includes thread titles and poll options

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
It down right horrible. They only have a few armor sets that are good and the rest is just terrible also the colored undersuits really hurt seeing the designs. Black undersuits are so much better. Also why are the should armor so freaking low on the arms its looks bad.
Armor design seems to have gone to -Yoink-. UNSC and human architecture in Halo 5 is generic as -Yoink-.

Those are my main issues with it. Aside from those, I think the art style is fine, but it could also use a little work.
Hate it since most the armor isn't really Halo, few I see are but the majority is terrible,
I prefer the old art style over the new one, but as I've seen before, with a new development team comes a new design team. And it's not that the new look has changed the game play or anything, halo isn't broken with this new art style. I would just prefer the older art style over this cartoonish one. Not much we can change about it though.
Really like how they touched up the maps in BTB refresh. Maps have a more classic feel now.
It down right horrible. They only have a few armor sets that are good and the rest is just terrible also the colored undersuits really hurt seeing the designs. Black undersuits are so much better. Also why are the should armor so freaking low on the arms its looks bad.
I lost all hope for black undersuits once Chief lost his.

But to the matter at hand, some aspects of it I do enjoy like a majority of Forerunner designs LIKE THIS from Halo 4 or THIS from Halo 5 ... the newer design is not too different from THIS (Reach) or THIS (Halo Wars) or even THIS (CE); tall, symmetric, sheer, sheen, shiny (when not dark), clean. I also really like the new designs of the Covenant vehicles, namely Spirit, Ghost, & Wraith.

What I don't like is mostly on the UNSC side. 90% of the Spartan armor is ugly. Marines look silly. I do like the new Warthogs and am indifferent to the Pelicans, but in regard to the Warthogs, I don't like them any more or less than the older ones. I really like the H2A look of the weapons, too.

So, I don't know. If I had to choose a side, I'd say classic art style.
There are some parts of it that I love, such as the new Covenant stuff and the UNSC vehicles. Other parts are ok, such as the new UNSC weapons and Forerunner weapons. But then, stuff like the bland Forerunner architecture, the UNSC buildings consisting of the single art palette of white + white + another colour and the Spartan + Marine armour really irks me. It seems like 343i is all over the place with their art design.

That being said, I really hate how 343i feels the need to change everything for the sake of being different from Bungie. There was no reason to go redo all of the Forerunner style to bland silver with no detail, or make the UNSC look boring white, or to change the Spartans to look like...well...I don't know. Why have coloured undersuits when it's clear that most people don't like them? Why change the marines into colourful toys instead of the green metallic plates that they used to have? Why change the whole style of the game from the militaristic feel that it used to have?

The Forerunner architecture is nice and all, but it should exist alongside what Bungie created, not as a replacement. Halo 4 awed me, since all of the Forerunner stuff looked beautiful. But that was with the understanding that it was Warrior Servant architecture, and that we would still see classic Forerunner stuff later on. But now, even on the Halo rings in Halo 5, things look 343ified.

I can accept 343i wanting to tweak things to put their own spin on it, but now they're going to far. They're changing everything to the point where it's not even recognizable as Halo anymore.
I don't remember who said this (or the exact phrasing): "I hate how 343i feels the need to do a visual retcon of everything that already existed."
This sums up my feelings about it.
*sigh* I guess it goes perfectly with 343i's motto: "If it ain't broke, break it. If people don't like it, find a different way to break it."
I'm okay with it I just prefer the old artstyle or the Halo 2 Anniversary artstyle over the new one.
Hotrod192 wrote:

The Forerunner architecture is nice and all, but it should exist alongside what Bungie created, not as a replacement. Halo 4 awed me, since all of the Forerunner stuff looked beautiful. But that was with the understanding that it was Warrior Servant architecture, and that we would still see classic Forerunner stuff later on. But now, even on the Halo rings in Halo 5, things look 343ified.
I just wanted to add something to the bit about Forerunner architecture.

What bothers me about the Forerunner constructions is that they follow 343's Warrior-Servant design, rather than the Builder-influenced design similar to the stuff found in Bungie's games, which I'm fairly certain most Domain-related things should be. Hell, even Genesis, which is outright stated to be a Builder installation, doesn't even really resemble the designs.
Either someone is really going with the last option, or is just a 9gager....
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post inappropriate content.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
I'll quote myself from my thread:

Quote:
  • in Halo 5 Human structures look all the same and it is very boring, some examples: 1-2-3-4-5 - Halo Reach had diversity: 1, 2, 3, 4 I'm pretty sure that everything pre-Halo 4 was not dismantled to be replaced by all identic structures, the universe is really big you know...
  • Halo 6 needs Spartans, not Power Rangers
  • UNSC weapons/vehicles: you can not replace the old artsyle that feels like Halo (Pelican, BR, marines) with the new one that feels generic (Pelican, BR, marines). If you want yours to be in the game they must co-exist.
  • Covenant phenotypes: they must coexist for both jackals (1-2) and elites (1-2), you're not allowed to give us again awrong Arbiter, he must have his jaws (other example), not those you put there in Halo 4.
  • Covenant weapons/vehicles: similar to UNSC weapons/vehicles: iconic old weapons can not be cancelled in favour ofnew ones, there are some things that Halo fans expect to be there.
  • Armors: from Halo 3 through Reach and even almost in Halo 4 we were able to recognize every armor or helmet because it was unique and there were less armors: quality over quantity
  • Forerunner structures: right - wrong
Hotrod192 wrote:
There are some parts of it that I love, such as the new Covenant stuff and the UNSC vehicles. Other parts are ok, such as the new UNSC weapons and Forerunner weapons. But then, stuff like the bland Forerunner architecture, the UNSC buildings consisting of the single art palette of white + white + another colour and the Spartan + Marine armour really irks me. It seems like 343i is all over the place with their art design.

That being said, I really hate how 343i feels the need to change everything for the sake of being different from Bungie. There was no reason to go redo all of the Forerunner style to bland silver with no detail, or make the UNSC look boring white, or to change the Spartans to look like...well...I don't know. Why have coloured undersuits when it's clear that most people don't like them? Why change the marines into colourful toys instead of the green metallic plates that they used to have? Why change the whole style of the game from the militaristic feel that it used to have?

I can accept 343i wanting to tweak things to put their own spin on it, but now they're going to far. They're changing everything to the point where it's not even recognizable as Halo anymore.
343 made the Spartans very power ranger like. Especially when they walk around with just the undersuit in Spartan ops, looks real....power...rangery..
H2A is everything Halo's art style should be. This new stuff is bland, and not iconic at all.
The new art style is good and unique, easily identifiable as "Halo", particularly the new Alien Architecture. But there is obvious space for improvement. Particularly in the human department. Buildings are square and bland containing of mostly whites and light grey colours and lacking windows. We can all agree the light up black/grey skyscrapers of New Mombasa and Halo 5 map Plaza look significantly better than the boring blocks in maps Empire and Battle of Noctus.
The Human Military, while better than civilians could also do with some changes. Simply the addition of more grittier green in Marines and a less clinical look inside Battleships like Infinity would do a lot, and yes black under suits on Spartans would be great too.
Sanghelios and Forerunner art looks fine, sometimes even great. My beef with 343's designs are primarily focused on the UNSC stuff. It just looks disfiguring.
It's fine... The armors need a lot of work, or the majority of then just simply need to be cut, but the environments look good...

What really bothers me is this, when various people in the community are essentially all like, "ohh the art is crap, H5 sucks."

As if the game itself is bad because something doesn't sit right with them... just shut up.
343 made the Spartans very power ranger like. Especially when they walk around with just the undersuit in Spartan ops, looks real....power...rangery..
I think saying they look Power Ranger-like is being rather generous. I've never seen Power Ranger armor that looks as dumb as Seeker.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2