How do you think Master Chief will die?

OP ArchSorceress

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
We don't want to admit it, but eventually Master Chief will succumb to the same natural force we all do. John, underneath the armor, is only human after all. Many fates may befall him. How do you think Master Chief will die?

On one hand, he has shown a tremendous level of luck and skill that has seen him through countless scenarios of impossible odds. On the other hand, him and his Spartan II and III brothers and sisters have all been psychologically damaged, and no one can attest to whether that damage is repairing over time or not. By observing the Spartan IIs, we may someday discover that the augmentation they receive causes physiological deterioration past a certain age. Moreover, he has countless enemies within the Covenant races, ONI, Insurrectionists, and the Created, so will one of them decide his fate?

[Questions To Consider]:
  • Will John be lucky forever, constantly pitted against impossible odds and winning?
  • Can a Spartan battle for on and on decades, unlike an ordinary soldier?
  • Are Spartans "hardwired" to battle until the death?
  • Do the augments Spartans receive have adverse side effects that can lead to an early death? ———(Real life Gigantism can cause a lot of health problems. Spartans receive what is more or less induced Gigantism, as well as other various augments. Spartan IIs may eventually show signs of health deterioration, just as Spartan IIIs already did and consequently had to be medicated.)
  • Is John still psychologically damaged?
  • If he is still psychologically damaged, can he overcome his trauma?
  • Will he continue to disobey orders?
  • If he does continue to agitate UNSC, will ONI find a reason to use him as a scapegoat?
  • Will Cortana, for one reason or another (perhaps out of anger or perhaps on accident) kill John?
  • Will one of the Created murder John against Cortana's wishes, or as a way of attacking her?
  • Will the Halo series ever end? ———(I uh... I kind of hope not... but I would still follow Halo even if John was dead.)
I expect he will be slain in battle. He doesn’t seem the type to retire and live a peaceful life.

The only other thing I see happening is dying of old age, but still in active duty. Truly going out undefeated
I suspect he will sacrifice himself to sever Cortana from the Domain causing her rampancy to finally consume her.
His character, since his inception has been a selfless one, constantly putting the safety of other before himself. I believe his story arc will end with him sacrificing himself to protect others. Any less would be an insult to the characteristic they have instilled him with.
I think he might go MIA and stay MIA. Or even go AWOL and stay AWOL.
I'm thinking probably slain in battle.. but more accurately slain through self sacrifice. Kinda like Jorge, but on a bigger scale.
I think he might go MIA and stay MIA. Or even go AWOL and stay AWOL.
Though I quite like the idea of MIA. He went MIA after H3 so doing the same after H6 could be fitting and a cool way to let his character bow out of the series without completing shutting him out of the future of the series for good. You could even have an entirely new main character (Jerome comes to mind) for H7 and even H8, then have him return from cryo again in H9 for an 11th hour save (Lord willing this series will last that long).
You have to be alive to die.
I always wanted to go out by sacrificing himself to save humanity. He has always put himself out there for his team and fought for humanity. No matter how far gone Cortana is, or how humanity views him, he will do what he always has, Save humanity.
In my opinion, I think he'll sacrifice himself to stop Cortana.
You have to be alive to die.
Ok... Did anyone else catch the depth of what was said here? THIS simple yet profound statement has my mind traveling at warp speed.
Also, I believe Master Chief will live on for a very VERY long time and his end has not yet been determined or can even be predicted... Keep in mind, Chief has been placed in suspended animation (cryostasis) at least twice (that we know of). This method of preserving the combat availability of experienced Spartans will continue to be used on Chief until who knows when... I mean... If he were to die he'd probably, most likely, die inside a cryostasis pod after it malfunctioned.
I'm thinking probably slain in battle.. but more accurately slain through self sacrifice. Kinda like Jorge, but on a bigger scale.
Ah, yes! That would've been a miles better phrasing to put on there, darn it.
He will go "missing in action".
He will go "missing in action".
Of course. Spartans Never Die, and all that jazz. But behind the pretty curtain of propaganda meant to keep morale high, he will have died somehow.
If the master chief dies, i can agree it would probably some sort of sacrifice in order to stop Cortana. it would have to be a sad ending with good dialogue and atmosphere, and in my opinion, the possibility of having Johns face revealed.
If the master chief dies, i can agree it would probably some sort of sacrifice in order to stop Cortana. it would have to be a sad ending with good dialogue and atmosphere, and in my opinion, the possibility of having Johns face revealed.
I've been intensely curious if they're going to be ballsy enough to kill John during this story arch, or if they want to keep him alive for future Halo titles.

I kind of imagine they'll never reveal his face for two reasons: 1) To emphasize a point about it not mattering who he was, as a Spartan II, he doesn't really have an identity other than his life as a Spartan II. And 2) Because he's just a bald, aging white guy, and it might shatter people's illusions of someone much cooler than this normal old dude.
old age
Also, I believe Master Chief will live on for a very VERY long time and his end has not yet been determined or can even be predicted... Keep in mind, Chief has been placed in suspended animation (cryostasis) at least twice (that we know of). This method of preserving the combat availability of experienced Spartans will continue to be used on Chief until who knows when... I mean... If he were to die he'd probably, most likely, die inside a cryostasis pod after it malfunctioned.
Please don't post multiple time in a row. If you need to add more information or quote other users, you can edit your last post. Thanks
You guys are ignorant. Spartans never die, they're just MIA........right?.... *gets Reach flashbacks*
The first thing I thought is that he could enter a cryo chamber again and just "sleep" while never really dying. Therefore Halo 7-999 can mention that he's still "out there somewhere" so he can fill our hearts like Jesus.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4