Forums / Community / Poll Discussions

How many players still play Halo 5?

OP The Real Drone

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I have sat for more than an hour searching 3 different playlists Slayer, Elimination, and roaming king with a full team and have NEVER found a game within an HOUR time period! Halo 5 is absolutely what I would call a dead game so I am absolutely sure it is less than 50 people per playlist most of the time.
MorseyBaby wrote:
MorseyBaby wrote:
Some playlists have more than others. The main slayer playlists I'm sure have way over 300. It's the niche playlists that suffer from a lower population.
H5 has a smaller population than Halo 4 did 3 years after it's release. Halo 4 had about 200 players per playlist on its main playlists, and had less than 20 on several other playlists. Btb and Slayer were the only two playlists that had 400+ players on it.
Curiously, how do you know all this? You seem absolutely certain of the Halo 4 numbers and even more certain that Halo 5 numbers are less. Which is fine, but you also started this thread. So do you really know or are you just guessing? Halo 4 was bleeding players because no likes a bunch of random abilities and random drops and random perks. Halo 5 on the other hand avoids all that and I believe it is probably maintaining player even if in smaller numbers than Halo 4.
Well if you compare the player counts in the games that are played as often as Halo 5, you can the approximate amount of people that play in each Halo 5 playlist.

Remember, the question I was asking was
How many players do you think still play H5?

I doubt the real population of Halo 5 would ever be released to the public. All we can do is speculate and make guesses.
I struggle to find matches in some smaller playlists when I play at non-peak hours for my region, but I've never failed to find matches in larger playlists (e.g. WZFF, WZ, Super Fiesta, Husky Raid). I've also definitely encountered well over 300 people playing across multiple playlists in a single session.

Yes, some playlists will have fewer than 50 at certain times of the day, but most underperforming playlists get rotated out or are speciality modes with more cult followings. The average playlist size I'm willing to bet is well over 300.
Well considering that customs browser has an average of 400-650 members at any given time, I'd assume that Matchmaking Playlists are somewhere in the 50-100 range maximum. Sure, Warzone / BTB / Slayer might have a few hundred, but I doubt more than 30 people are playing Roaming King at any given time.
And you have all this empirical evidence, how? I've played roaming king for relatively small sessions (max 5 games) but I don't remember a single session where I matched with the same player more than once.... so 7x5 =35, plus me =36 as an absolute baseline and that's not taking into account the fact thay many of those I previously matched with would have kept playing and there would have been other players I never matched with playing at the same time.

So in a tiny sample size from my own experiences I can immediately debunk your less than 30 claim.

I think you're overstating the relative size of customs to the rest of the population
Roaming King was a featured playlist lol, it should be one of the biggest.
I think you're misunderstanding how the featured playlists are designed to work: they're rotational and different: they're not everyone's cup of tea necessarily, but they invite players to try something different: some are very popular. Others not so much. Sure it would be great if every featured playlist was the most popular thing when it is up, but that's not necessarily their KPI: if anything the featuring of them is trying to highlight them as different experiences and provide players different experiences.
MorseyBaby wrote:
MorseyBaby wrote:
MorseyBaby wrote:
Some playlists have more than others. The main slayer playlists I'm sure have way over 300. It's the niche playlists that suffer from a lower population.
H5 has a smaller population than Halo 4 did 3 years after it's release. Halo 4 had about 200 players per playlist on its main playlists, and had less than 20 on several other playlists. Btb and Slayer were the only two playlists that had 400+ players on it.
Curiously, how do you know all this? You seem absolutely certain of the Halo 4 numbers and even more certain that Halo 5 numbers are less. Which is fine, but you also started this thread. So do you really know or are you just guessing? Halo 4 was bleeding players because no likes a bunch of random abilities and random drops and random perks. Halo 5 on the other hand avoids all that and I believe it is probably maintaining player even if in smaller numbers than Halo 4.
Well if you compare the player counts in the games that are played as often as Halo 5, you can the approximate amount of people that play in each Halo 5 playlist.

I doubt the real population of Halo 5 would ever be released to the public. All we can do is speculate and make guesses.
I struggle to find matches in some smaller playlists when I play at non-peak hours for my region, but I've never failed to find matches in larger playlists (e.g. WZFF, WZ, Super Fiesta, Husky Raid). I've also definitely encountered well over 300 people playing across multiple playlists in a single session.

Yes, some playlists will have fewer than 50 at certain times of the day, but most underperforming playlists get rotated out or are speciality modes with more cult followings. The average playlist size I'm willing to bet is well over 300.
Well considering that customs browser has an average of 400-650 members at any given time, I'd assume that Matchmaking Playlists are somewhere in the 50-100 range maximum. Sure, Warzone / BTB / Slayer might have a few hundred, but I doubt more than 30 people are playing Roaming King at any given time.
And you have all this empirical evidence, how? I've played roaming king for relatively small sessions (max 5 games) but I don't remember a single session where I matched with the same player more than once.... so 7x5 =35, plus me =36 as an absolute baseline and that's not taking into account the fact thay many of those I previously matched with would have kept playing and there would have been other players I never matched with playing at the same time.

So in a tiny sample size from my own experiences I can immediately debunk your less than 30 claim.

I think you're overstating the relative size of customs to the rest of the population
I think you're misunderstanding how the featured playlists are designed to work: they're rotational and different: they're not everyone's cup of tea necessarily, but they invite players to try something different: some are very popular. Others not so much. Sure it would be great if every featured playlist was the most popular thing when it is up, but that's not necessarily their KPI: if anything the featuring of them is trying to highlight them as different experiences and provide players different experiences.
New experiences are what keep a game active. That's why H5 launched with only 6 playlists and added in the rest + forge + theater + customs browser later.

Featured playlists are designed to pull the most amount of players to keep the game active.

Halo 5 is dead. It shouldn't take 30+ minutes on a summer day to find a single match in any playlists. I've gotten "Not enough players to support this playlist" in pretty much every single playlist.
I honestly have no idea the average player count accross playlists. I crank it up once in a while and don't have too many issues playing Slayer, SWAT, Infection, Warzone, or Warzone Firefight.
MorseyBaby wrote:
MorseyBaby wrote:
MorseyBaby wrote:

New experiences are what keep a game active. That's why H5 launched with only 6 playlists and added in the rest + forge + theater + customs browser later.

Featured playlists are designed to pull the most amount of players to keep the game active.

Halo 5 is dead. It shouldn't take 30+ minutes on a summer day to find a single match in any playlists. I've gotten "Not enough players to support this playlist" in pretty much every single playlist.
There are a huge number of factors in your matchmaking experience though: 1, what region are you in? 2, are you playing at peak times for your region? 3, how good ia your internet connection? 4, what's your NAT setting? 5, what matchmaking setting are you using? 6, what's your CSR/MMR level roughly? 7. What's your Xbox Reputation level?

Just because you're struggling to find games doesn't mean the game is dead.
Well, I still play the game, but then again, I just got it in July of 2019, so...
MorseyBaby wrote:
MorseyBaby wrote:
MorseyBaby wrote:

Sorly wrote:
I have sat for more than an hour searching 3 different playlists Slayer, Elimination, and roaming king with a full team and have NEVER found a game within an HOUR time period! Halo 5 is absolutely what I would call a dead game so I am absolutely sure it is less than 50 people per playlist most of the time.
I think that's a problem on your end. I find a match in within two minutes guaranteed and I search on balanced. The only problem I've had is when your searching for one single person but, even that has been cut to a minimum recently.
MorseyBaby wrote:
MorseyBaby wrote:
MorseyBaby wrote:

Sorly wrote:
I think that's a problem on your end. I find a match in within two minutes guaranteed and I search on balanced. The only problem I've had is when your searching for one single person but, even that has been cut to a minimum recently.
Entirely agree
Got into many games on Halo 5, the player base is still alive, though it may dwindle once Halo Reach releases on MCC.
Kinda wish it had a little bit more people to play with in warzone...
I can find games usually within 20 seconds during the day while at night only warzone, super fiesta, and infection stay the same, but everything else can take a few minutes.
Sorly wrote:
The game has a algorithm which changes when your in a fire team to which it tries to find a suitable comparison of players to go against your team. It becomes a lot harder to find a game especially when each player has different stats or each when every player has a really high KDA.
I don’t know about per playlist, but I play every day between 8pm and midnight eastern and I almost never fail to get a match
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2