I Don't Understand This Hatred...

OP TheOgKPort

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
TheOgKPort wrote:
I, truthfully, want to know what your reasons are for dis-liking Halo 4 so much.
I don't really hate hate the game but it isn't that good in story but the multiplayer is decent in my opinion if you like the game i'm glad and i hope you continue to enjoy it
It isn’t the greatest, but I do have fun about the same amount as reach and 3
TheOgKPort wrote:
I, truthfully, want to know what your reasons are for dis-liking Halo 4 so much.
From the very beginning of the game 343 made it clear that they needed to smash their stamp on Halo and make it look entirely different. I really disliked the new Mjolnir, and the canon explanation was weak, at best. Changing the class, size, and appearance of the Forward Unto Dawn? It was so ugly and silly looking, I was very turned off by it early on.

A lot of just inexplicable decisions... for some reason they portrayed Cortana as using a physical interface to do stuff, like she was *pressing buttons*???? That felt pretty damn silly to me.

Generally, the writing around Chief and Cortana was just.... weak. Their relationship was practically romantic in a way that felt really silly... after I finally got to play through the original games with my partner I almost showed her some of Halo 4 but I was too embarrassed by it. The end, with her dying but coming back to touch his armor... really pretty weird, and hard to take seriously as an adult.

Aside from that, the main problem I had was just art direction and pandering towards a younger audience/lower rating. Halo always had a wonderful mix of horror elements with mysterious sci-fi, and they cut out both of those in Halo 4. Removing the flood as an enemy just lowered the stakes overall... having just finished Halo 3 and defeated the covenant, just bringing them back was pretty weak canon wise. Making the forerunner architecture active and making it all so busy and lit up was the biggest mistake IMO... it sucked out all the mysterious ambience of the original games.

The series clearly has not been able to recover from the missteps in Halo 4. Halo 5 doubled down on all the same problems and was received so poorly that Infinite is now trying to redact the last ten years of poor artistic decisions.
promeathians felt like bullet spunges,there phasing was annoying at times. the didact at times was like a whiney child
I have since eased up my criticism of H4, I would not say I necessarily hate it though. I just think it fell far short of the original trilogy. It seems like it got lost and caught up with "what was popular" at the time instead of what made halo popular to begin with. It feels like its a split between Halo and CoD to me. That's a pretty bland explanation, but these arguments have been made time and time again. I'm not even gonna bring up its "art style".
I like all the Halo games each one has there own faults but I never hated any of them however I did hate that Halo 5 doesn't have split screen but I still play the game
I dislike the campaign as the story is a bit floppy. The bloom lighting is wierd and hurts my eyes. But MP is fun and not that sweaty for me
TheOgKPort wrote:
Why complain about the loadouts in Halo 4 when Halo Reach has them though?
in halo 4 its like call of duty where you customize them, (your guns, spartan ability, ect)
I used to dislike it but I've been playing the multiplayer for a while and its quite fun. The campaign was good
at the time, I loved it, really liked all the new multiplayer games like ricochet - with the grift ball and the hoops or zones, and the animated assassinations, but it was its own HALO, and I think people wanted another halo3. I think halo had to evolve at that time, but now... looking back i'm not sure...
i mean it was pretty bad imo but it was 343's first main line game that wasnt a remaster so i think its worth playing just for graphics
i like halo 4.
EchoLoco2 wrote:
No, its an important part of my life. Hating it just because it's a 343 game is an irrelevant reason
trust me, people have actual valid reasons for disliking halo 4. not just because it's a 343 game. And just because it's important to your life doesn't mean it's immune to criticism.
So are you going to provide any examples of this? I get that it being important to his life doesn't make it immune to criticism, but if you're going to make the claim that people had valid reasons then can you name some?
I hate its multiplayer, but not the campaign.
Looks like a COD
Lanky B YT wrote:
EchoLoco2 wrote:
No, its an important part of my life. Hating it just because it's a 343 game is an irrelevant reason
trust me, people have actual valid reasons for disliking halo 4. not just because it's a 343 game. And just because it's important to your life doesn't mean it's immune to criticism.
So are you going to provide any examples of this? I get that it being important to his life doesn't make it immune to criticism, but if you're going to make the claim that people had valid reasons then can you name some?
I actually did mention just a few of things I dislike about 4 above the post you quoted. Check that out. In short: doesn't offer the halo experience I look for, I dislike the campaign gameplay, and I'm personally not a fan of the story. Go check out my other comment for more explanation.
EchoLoco2 wrote:
Lanky B YT wrote:
EchoLoco2 wrote:
I actually did mention just a few of things I dislike about 4 above the post you quoted. Check that out. In short: doesn't offer the halo experience I look for, I dislike the campaign gameplay, and I'm personally not a fan of the story. Go check out my other comment for more explanation.
Will do, thanks for the clarity!
I'm not sure "hate" is the right word. But the writing is terrible in my opinion, I can't play through it with a straight face. And the campaign levels are boring and a chore to play through. The multiplayer is boring and doesn't feel or look like "Halo". But that's very subjective.
I hated the BR sound and the CoD approach to loadouts, but otherwise actually love that game.
I really enjoy the game. That's all my family and I play on MCC.
There isn't a Halo I hate, but there are disappointments that have been sprinkled throughout 4 and 5 (mostly 5). On the other hand, I've got a funny feeling Infinite is going to be an absolute BANGER of a title. Halo needs a revive and I've got a feeling 343 is bringing the defibrillators this time around ;)
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3