2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10

Is Halo dead/dying?

Poll Ended

Dead, Alive, Dying?
Mixed, for now. I'm just waiting until halo wars 2 to show who is right and wrong. Just can't say for certain as of now
Mixed, for now. I'm just waiting until halo wars 2 to show who is right and wrong. Just can't say for certain as of now
Same, I hope halo doesn't die out like COD did.
It seems to be getting harder to find a game on certain playlists. I have to use expanded settings to get a game of FFA or WA, which is annoying to say the least.
It may not be the juggernaut game it used to be but I still have no trouble finding games in H5 or even MCC so how can it be dead? I guess if you are One of those who has to be doing what everyone else is doing and has to be in the top of the popular/played list then yeah to then it's "dead". But as far as I am concerned as long as I am finding games consistently it's not dead.
I think there are a few things contributing to this confused feeling of Halo's status. The first being a lack of a surprise innovation which was last felt in Halo 3 upon the inclusion of forge and theater mode. I believe it was Bernie from Rooster Teeth that said it best in Halo tends to be the pioneering series for content on a gaming console. Halo: CE was the game that put FPS games on the map for consoles, Halo Wars dong the same for RTS, and I've already listed Halo 3's innovations. Sadly there hasn't been that big push like there use to. The innovations in Halo 5's forge mode are impressive and I'm all in favor of what the lead designer wants for forge, building custom campaigns and much more, but it isn't enough. Microsoft and 343i need to generate a response similar to Nintendo's reveal of the Switch. Something that will blow away the console market and Halo fans, although sadly that may not be enough.

This leads me to my next topic, the console market decline. I'll be brief but to summarize the XBone, PS4, and Wii U are categorize failures as consoles. Their prices being heavy upon debut and their libraries, to this day, not making it warranting of purchasing any. In fact most of their libraries, excluding the Wii U, are mostly backwards compatible games from the 360 which I would say is still better than it's rushed successor. In fact the overall decline of the XBone can be considered a reason for the rushed production of the MCC and Halo 5. If both games were at least given an additional year of development, while they would still be flawed, they would have received stability and more content. I think Halo, being the flagship series of the Xbox console, is suffering the effects of poor console sales. At the very least this is why I can imagine HW2 being released on console and PC. The Xbox ship is sinking and if Halo is to survive it may need to be ported to the PC market.

Though if I may take a moment break this somber/pessimistic rambling. If Halo does go to PC again I would pay top dollar for someone to mod Halo 5's Osiris models into Spartan Black Team.

Back on topic, I can see why you may be feeling as if Halo is dying. Despite the community's mixed and varied opinions of the franchise in its current state Halo is not a prominent as it used to be. Times change and the once popular become obsolete. If Halo is to endure it needs to keep up with games of today, keep its identity, but above all keep the audience's attention. Keep them glued to their seats with throbbing anticipation. I could go on but I don't think I have the conviction to write for hours unending.
It's definitely not as big as the halo 3 or reach days but I wouldn't say it's dead
Now I'm just confused. What do you consider "dead" and "alive"?
As long as people play the game, it will be alive.
Dead? No, dieing in the sense of declining? Yes.
I think there are a few things contributing to this confused feeling of Halo's status. The first being a lack of a surprise innovation which was last felt in Halo 3 upon the inclusion of forge and theater mode. I believe it was Bernie from Rooster Teeth that said it best in Halo tends to be the pioneering series for content on a gaming console. Halo: CE was the game that put FPS games on the map for consoles, Halo Wars dong the same for RTS, and I've already listed Halo 3's innovations. Sadly there hasn't been that big push like there use to. The innovations in Halo 5's forge mode are impressive and I'm all in favor of what the lead designer wants for forge, building custom campaigns and much more, but it isn't enough. Microsoft and 343i need to generate a response similar to Nintendo's reveal of the Switch. Something that will blow away the console market and Halo fans, although sadly that may not be enough.

This leads me to my next topic, the console market decline. I'll be brief but to summarize the XBone, PS4, and Wii U are categorize failures as consoles. Their prices being heavy upon debut and their libraries, to this day, not making it warranting of purchasing any. In fact most of their libraries, excluding the Wii U, are mostly backwards compatible games from the 360 which I would say is still better than it's rushed successor. In fact the overall decline of the XBone can be considered a reason for the rushed production of the MCC and Halo 5. If both games were at least given an additional year of development, while they would still be flawed, they would have received stability and more content. I think Halo, being the flagship series of the Xbox console, is suffering the effects of poor console sales. At the very least this is why I can imagine HW2 being released on console and PC. The Xbox ship is sinking and if Halo is to survive it may need to be ported to the PC market.

Though if I may take a moment break this somber/pessimistic rambling. If Halo does go to PC again I would pay top dollar for someone to mod Halo 5's Osiris models into Spartan Black Team.

Back on topic, I can see why you may be feeling as if Halo is dying. Despite the community's mixed and varied opinions of the franchise in its current state Halo is not a prominent as it used to be. Times change and the once popular become obsolete. If Halo is to endure it needs to keep up with games of today, keep its identity, but above all keep the audience's attention. Keep them glued to their seats with throbbing anticipation. I could go on but I don't think I have the conviction to write for hours unending.
Jesus man. Talk about post of the year. I agree fully. Because I could not follow that up. And all that is not suprisingly true.
As a franchise, Halo is so far removed from where it was before. For whatever reasons (which I personally believe to be 343i's fault, but that's not what's important here), the game is not as popular as it used to be, nor nearly as good. That would mean that, using those ideas, it would be a safe bet to say that the franchise is dying.

That being said, if people are still able to find games and are having fun playing it, how can we truly call it dead? In the end, until the next Halo game comes out, I think what's important to focus on for people who are still playing Halo 5 (which isn't me, granted) is whether or not they can still play the game and have fun. If they are, then I'm quite happy for them, no matter the population size.
We're more alive then ever. Everyones giving there thoughts and passion to the game.
Alive. Halo 5 is the beginning of an upward curve.
Halo 4 started the trend downwards, Halo 5 is rock bottom. Halo has alienated a vast, vast majority of its core playerbase with their design decisions and lack of good community interaction.

I believe Halo Wars 2 will be a solid Halo game, and will help. As long as they ship with a solid campaign, replayable multiplayer and it isn't microtransactioned to death. There are concerns it might be too shallow and noob friendly to have any longevity, and there are only 2 factions. But in the end it will be solid.

Halo 6 has a ton of work to do, but it can revive the series. It can be done.

-10-12 hour campaign, with 4 player splitscreen, local and online. Needs a good story, people hated Halo 5's story. The Flood need to come back, UNSC, Covenant factions, Flood, Prometheans, that would be a ton of variety.

-Theater mode. Needs to be fixed, needs to work flawlessly. Plain and simple. Theater is huge, and it's broken right now.

-Forge, needs to be expanded and needs to actually work. AI have to be introduced. Troop Transport Warthog needs to finally be added in. Add in the Hornet / Falcon. Fix scripting (it's a janky random mess right now) Budgets need to be removed for PC players. Let people play as Elites. Add in tons more customization options (even so detailed as Infected team can't enter into Warthog driver seat, can enter Ghost, can't pick up X weapon, can pick up X weapon)

-Firefight. This mode needs to come back, and let people customize the waves in the pre-game lobby of normal maps, and build their own Firefight maps in Forge.

-Halo 6 needs a full release on PC. Needs to be a good PC release, improved graphics, chat logs, FOV slider, not a crap console port, no console parity. Needs to have full mod tools released day 1 (in addition to Forge).

-Remove microtransactions. Completely. It tampers with the game.

-Splitscreen. This needs to be in every game mode, not just campaign. 4 player splitscreen Forging on PC, 4 player splitscreen local multiplayer on PC, 4 player local splitscreen online multiplayer against others on PC. (Same goes for XB1)

-Cross platform play. Have a dedicated playlist to cross platform multiplayer, with stat tracking that resets every month, make it a war between PC and XB1 that players will want to go into and win the matches for their platform. (PC players don't get auto aim/ aim assist.) Let us play with our friends no matter the platform (leave ranked playlists to have everyone on same platform)

-Remake every single Halo multiplayer map, NOT using Forge. Recreate them exactly how they were (just port them), with updated graphics. Ship with 3-5 or so good new maps, and with 5 good Forge world template maps, 1 in the sky/space, 1 on top of the water (and let you go under the water unlike Tidal to Forge underwater maps), 1 flat terrain, 1 Forge world-esque map with set pieces of terrain, 1 underground in caves with pitch black areas to light for horror gametypes.

-Bring custom game lobbies and a server browser for PC. Let us host our maps, set the lobby name, and have people click and join what they want.

-Bring a lot of focus to community maps, let people search by top rated, highest rated weekly, newest. Introduce a constant fresh stream of community content into playlists, and have a dedicated playlist to community maps. Virtually unlimited community creation being played and shared around constantly, plus every single previous Halo map = a must own for even non-Halo fans with the amount of content they get for $60

-Ship with every single game mode and variant that was in previous titles, Race, Infection, VIP, 1 bomb, etc

-Remove REQ packs and this obsession with pack opening and selling people useless skins.

I have been playing Halo since Halo CE on PC in 2003, Halo is a shadow of its former self, but if 343 swallows its pride, listens to its fans, and works hard at delivering a Halo 6 that the fans actually want, I believe they can make Halo great again.
Honestly all my friends have a PS4 and they say Xbox one is only good for Halo which is dying. I highly disagree. Even though it might be statistically, I don't care. Why listen to others say your favorite game in the world is heading for a cliff. Play it and enjoy it because that's what Halo is, the best game ever.
Wait, COD is dying out? According to sale numbers it isn't at all. BO3 has done extremely well. I'm not a COD fan, far from it actually, but i'm very confused by your statement.

Im mixed, sometimes I feel like Halo is dead, but apart of me feels its alive or dying so I want your guy's opinion.
I honesty don't know where Halo is at. I think it's better off then what it was, but it still has a long way to go to get back on top of it's game per say. I know it's easy to blame 343I, and i'll be honest, I do blame them for a good chuck of it. Bungie unfortunately didn't help things with Reach, nor did MS pressuring them.

My biggest thing with 343I is I don't understand why they change things that majority never complained about if ever at all, for example the look of zooming, how the Rocket launcher look and so on.... or how they just seem to refuse to use things that worked so well in past Halo games.... Partying up, Ranking system, Clear Ranked & Social playlists, playlist that people love, Firefight in off the bat, Pre/Post game lobbies, The look of zooming (Which is a big one IMO) Military ranks, fully customisable armour etc .... and when they do have a good idea, they don't seem to use it again (I'm aware this might not be there idea) For example, H2A maps had Interactive environments. Such a small but AMAZING feature on maps and they are FUN!!

I really think 343I just needs to go back to basics and go from there. They went there a little bit with Halo 5, but not nearly enough. They need to remember the expression "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and "less is more"

Also, I'm sorry but placement matches and rank resets are such a terrible idea!! I recently had a friend tell me why he quit Halo 5 so fast and this was why. I've found out that many of my friends quit Halo 5 because they don't want to start at the bottom every month or two to work there way back to the top. I can't say I blame them. Just have everyone start at the bottom and work your way up like how Halo 3 did it.

One more thing, the fact that bugs/glitches like the retrieving data one REALLY should be fixed by now. It's been almost a year...a YEAR!!! Come on 343I, step it up!! people want to like you, but you make it really hard a lot of the times.
seems quite alive to me....for now.....
@HYv47: Thank you. There was one piece I left out regarding Halo declining popularity. I was prepared to make a point about the decline of machinima's being created in Halo. With Halo 3's theater mode this introduced a surplus of new content being made by Halo fans that advertised the game and it's capabilities to newcomers. Though sadly this would not last as there weren't as many content creator's in Reach as Halo 3. This only continued as I have yet to see machinimas made in mass in Halos 4 or 5. Ignoring technical issues without those machinimas the fans weren't advertising the game.

What stopped me from posting that argument was that the community needs to support the product itself before they can advertise it. Needless to say there aren't many willing to do so for good reason. It's a two-way street.

@Dead End 24: This is an excellent point. A "back to basics" approach is required if 343i is to restore faith in the community. Although I can respect their desire to differentiate themselves from Bungie I fear that going too far along that path will be their undoing. Taking notes on what worked and bringing those elements back is the first step of many to rebuilding Halo.
For me, Halo is still floating in space .... aboard the Forward Unto Dawn ... waiting to be discovered by 343... how to truly unlock the magic that is Halo.

Video for reference sake:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv0XyR5Vkjg
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10