4. 12
  5. 13
  6. 14
  7. 15
  8. ...
  9. 19
firerwolf wrote:
I think love isn't a priority for a Spartan II
Who said it was a priority? There are plenty of people who are in a relationship or are in love and it's not a priority. You can be in love and not have it get in the way of your other interests.
The UNSC and ONI said it is not a priority...:)
Very funny
They're brother and sister. Blue team aren't black team.
They're brother and sister. Blue team aren't black team.
No, but it is a possibility
A possibility that won't come to pass.
It might
It might
And it would create a story even worse than Halo 5's. We don't need a romance between John and Kelly, it would add nothing substantial to the franchise.
Again, there has literally been //nothing// in Halo canon that says the Spartans on Blue Team are any different than those on Black Team in terms of how they view each other and their capacity to fall in love. Kelly and John are no different than any other people who have known each other their whole lives who eventually decide to be together - a.k.a childhood sweethearts.
I don't recall any passage in any of the books, comics, or anything else, that says John and Kelly see each other as "brother and sister" in the literal sense. Like I've said already, we know for a fact that Spartan-IIs can and did fall in love with each other. And once again, Kelly is the only person John has ever referred to as being beautiful. Not to mention Kelly has always been acutely aware of her femininity without having to sacrifice her strength of character - and she's also been characterized as one of the most emotional and empathetic of the Spartans. Kelly is not John's opposite, she is something far better - she compliments him. They can relate to each other in ways no one else can while still balancing each other out.

Also why would the Chief be remotely interested in a mass-murdering, abusive predator who violated his trust and free will in the worst ways? Not to mention when said thing is also a virtual clone of his only mother figure in voice, appearance, and mannerisims (which the Chief knows and has openly recognized) and has been canonically referred to as the Chief's "stalker"? That's pretty messed up.
I think it's well inferred they care for one another as brother and sister .....as the Spartans IIs do...and I was referring to the pre H5 Cortana....obviously not when she goes rampant. If there was ever an inferred love interest...it would have been Chief and Cortana....pre H5 of course.
Well what I'm trying to say is that it is more than that bond.
.....if it is, it would be the exception to the rule...and that can happen, however, generally....coming home to your battle buddy at the end of a hard day just doesn't last....it's a continuation of work so to speak and more of yourself...you need separation. I think there's truth to opposites attract...we become complete when the other half or opposite is joined in a complimenting manner. Maybe your right. On a colder side, I personally just don't think it's an interesting way to take the story, but that's only my opinion....Id like to see Chief keep his relationship with Kelly sisterly....while he finds his humanity and meets the most feminine lady who's had nothing to do with the war....something he's never had....something that will complete him as a human...I think that would be an interesting ending to his journey...well a happy ending anyway....perhaps he'll go out bringing the Covenant another one of their bombs back.....
John could ever be with a normal person. It wouldn't work. And there is no one that hasn't been effected by the war. Also did you even read my reasons
If Randall and Maria could do it, why not John? Also, some of those living on the inner colonies were completely unaffected.
Again, there has literally been //nothing// in Halo canon that says the Spartans on Blue Team are any different than those on Black Team in terms of how they view each other and their capacity to fall in love. Kelly and John are no different than any other people who have known each other their whole lives who eventually decide to be together - a.k.a childhood sweethearts.
Yeah I agree with you. There is nothing that says they are different to Black Team
What about Sam? He was there too. I do not think romance will ever be a plot point for the Halo universe, when SPARTANs are concerned. This is because the community is pretty divergent in their opinions about a romance story about 117. Nevertheless, I think 343i will have to do it if Microsoft thinks it might increase sells, although it might not. We can see how well fans took the Created plot.
Hotrod192 wrote:
It might
And it would create a story even worse than Halo 5's. We don't need a romance between John and Kelly, it would add nothing substantial to the franchise.
That is completely not true. Especially if it was handled in the same tactful way it's always been addressed in the books - through subtle words and actions that don't detract from the main narrative. Also it could add to the idea of the Spartans coming to terms with the fact that they can live normal lives outside of battle (as we have seen others like Maria and Randall do), and can heal. Now is it ultimately something "has to happen" in the story - no. But if it did it would certainly make sense and build on certain worthwhile character developments and themes.
Luke Del wrote:
I don't recall any passage in any of the books, comics, or anything else, that says John and Kelly see each other as "brother and sister" in the literal sense. Like I've said already, we know for a fact that Spartan-IIs can and did fall in love with each other. And once again, Kelly is the only person John has ever referred to as being beautiful. Not to mention Kelly has always been acutely aware of her femininity without having to sacrifice her strength of character - and she's also been characterized as one of the most emotional and empathetic of the Spartans. Kelly is not John's opposite, she is something far better - she compliments him. They can relate to each other in ways no one else can while still balancing each other out.

Also why would the Chief be remotely interested in a mass-murdering, abusive predator who violated his trust and free will in the worst ways? Not to mention when said thing is also a virtual clone of his only mother figure in voice, appearance, and mannerisims (which the Chief knows and has openly recognized) and has been canonically referred to as the Chief's "stalker"? That's pretty messed up.
I think it's well inferred they care for one another as brother and sister .....as the Spartans IIs do...and I was referring to the pre H5 Cortana....obviously not when she goes rampant. If there was ever an inferred love interest...it would have been Chief and Cortana....pre H5 of course.
.....if it is, it would be the exception to the rule...and that can happen, however, generally....coming home to your battle buddy at the end of a hard day just doesn't last....it's a continuation of work so to speak and more of yourself...you need separation. I think there's truth to opposites attract...we become complete when the other half or opposite is joined in a complimenting manner. Maybe your right. On a colder side, I personally just don't think it's an interesting way to take the story, but that's only my opinion....Id like to see Chief keep his relationship with Kelly sisterly....while he finds his humanity and meets the most feminine lady who's had nothing to do with the war....something he's never had....something that will complete him as a human...I think that would be an interesting ending to his journey...well a happy ending anyway....perhaps he'll go out bringing the Covenant another one of their bombs back.....
John could ever be with a normal person. It wouldn't work. And there is no one that hasn't been effected by the war. Also did you even read my reasons
If Randall and Maria could do it, why not John? Also, some of those living on the inner colonies were completely unaffected.
Yes but John is very distant and doesn't handle idleness as well as other Spartans. Hence he often passes up time for R and R. if he was going to be with a civilian he would probably get restless from not being able to go and do things he would be able to do if he was in a relationship with another Spartan. Another thing to note is he would always worry about her being attacked. If he was with another Spartan he wouldn't worry as much because he knows they can hold their own. And if their hom was attacked he would probably freak and worry about them to the extent he wouldn't be efficient on the battle field.
Luke Del wrote:

Yes but John is very distant and doesn't handle idleness as well as other Spartans. Hence he often passes up time for R and R. if he was going to be with a civilian he would probably get restless from not being able to go and do things he would be able to do if he was in a relationship with another Spartan. Another thing to note is he would always worry about her being attacked. If he was with another Spartan he wouldn't worry as much because he knows they can hold their own. And if their hom was attacked he would probably freak and worry about them to the extent he wouldn't be efficient on the battle field.
Where have you got that from? There's nothing to suggest John is any different from other Spartans.

I I think he would worry more if his partner were a Spartan. He may know that they could hold their own, but there's always a chance for the worst in combat. He's seen his fellow Spartans in awful conditions before and it has crushed him, if he allowed himself to have a romantic relationship with a Spartan, such an event could cause him serious problems in a combat situation. A relationship would cause far too many risks and problems with team cohesion and so he wouldn't allow himself to.
We have seen that Chief and Kelly's partnership in battle has never had any problems whatsoever - and since the extent of their feelings for each other is somewhat up to interpretation, it is impossible to say whether or not being in a relationship would at all effect their ability to preform in the field. In fact we saw this was a total non-issue for Black Team, and that the only reason Margaret and Otto were forced to end their relationship was because Victor loved Margaret too and was jealous - such a snag does not apply to Blue Team. Though either way that doesn't at all effect the possibility of them simply deciding to enter into a relationship after retiring from active combat duty.
Luke Del wrote:
Luke Del wrote:

Where have you got that from? There's nothing to suggest John is any different from other Spartans.

I I think he would worry more if his partner were a Spartan. He may know that they could hold their own, but there's always a chance for the worst in combat. He's seen his fellow Spartans in awful conditions before and it has crushed him, if he allowed himself to have a romantic relationship with a Spartan, such an event could cause him serious problems in a combat situation. A relationship would cause far too many risks and problems with team cohesion and so he wouldn't allow himself to.
Yes he would worry if they were a Spartan but imagine if they were a civilian.
We have seen that Chief and Kelly's partnership in battle has never had any problems whatsoever - and since the extent of their feelings for each other is somewhat up to interpretation, it is impossible to say whether or not being in a relationship would at all effect their ability to preform in the field. In fact we saw this was a total non-issue for Black Team, and that the only reason Margaret and Otto were forced to end their relationship was because Victor loved Margaret too and was jealous - such a snag does not apply to Blue Team. Though either way that doesn't at all effect the possibility of them simply deciding to enter into a relationship after retiring from active combat duty.
Thank you for adding yet another comment that I agree with. Yes it is up for interpretation. This whole thread was made to see the communities reaction.
Randall and Maria are without a doubt valid examples of how any/all Spartan-IIs are at least capable of having successful relationships and normal lives (if that is what they want) with and without the UNSC. In John's case though it is prudent to remember that, unlike them, he is still with the person he is closest too. So really it's all just about how the bond he and Kelly have could naturally transition into being romantic/domestic while staying true to their established characters.
Hotrod192 wrote:
It might
That is completely not true. Especially if it was handled in the same tactful way it's always been addressed in the books - through subtle words and actions that don't detract from the main narrative. Also it could add to the idea of the Spartans coming to terms with the fact that they can live normal lives outside of battle (as we have seen others like Maria and Randall do), and can heal. Now is it ultimately something "has to happen" in the story - no. But if it did it would certainly make sense and build on certain worthwhile character developments and themes.
That's the thing though, in the books it's always been a subtle hint, no more than that. They never outright said "John and Kelly are in love and want to get it on", it was signs of a close bond. That bond could be a friendly bond, familial bond, romantic bond, it's never specified, and it shouldn't. That level of mystery keeps their bond interesting, and developing it into something romantic would be ruining it.

And yes, Maria and Randall got to live a normal life, but they are not Spartans anymore. Randall had some of his augmentations removed, and Maria basically retired from the service. As a Spartan-II, you're basically just fighting non-stop. Sure, there is R&R, but I seriously doubt that the first thing on their mind is "Omg I would so tap that other Spartan".

Now, if we're talking about Spartan-IVs, then it's a completely different story. We see the whole romance thing between Buck and Dare. And you know what? That's interesting, especially since it serves as a contrast between Spartan-IIs and Spartan-IVs. While the IIs are undoubtedly human and have strong personalities, their lives are dedicated to being soldiers, their priorities are fighting the good fight. But Spartan-IVs? They live normal lives outside of their job.

Plus, even if it were to happen, I seriously doubt 343i's ability to properly handle a romantic relationship between John and Kelly. As shown with Halo 5, their ability to characterize Blue Team is extremely poor and does not do them justice. Why would this be any different?
Yes, they would be great together.
C0RRuPTT wrote:
Yes, they would be great together.
Thank you!!
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 11
  4. 12
  5. 13
  6. 14
  7. 15
  8. ...