John and Kelly. Yes or No?

OP TabbyKritKat

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 17
  4. 18
  5. ...
  6. 19
John and Kelly are essentially siblings - and see each other as such.
Give me one actual canon example where it is stated that they see each other as "siblings" in the literal sense. But I'll save you the trouble, because there aren't any. Conversely though there are at least a few examples that hint at possible deeper feelings and attraction between the two. And we also know for a fact that Spartan-IIs are more than capable of having romantic feelings for their teammates. Ergo John and Kelly are no different than any childhood sweethearts who have stayed close their entire lives.
A possibility that won't come to pass.
It might
Well, if they 'might', then it'd be a catastrophically written story. It won't be happening.
And you're going to back this up with anything substantial, or...?
Seriously. Why is two people who have cared about each other their entire lives, who trust, and respect each other in healthy ways possibly becoming a couple so scary? Especially if it's done the same way their relationship has been built up in things like the books up to this point? The execution of it is obviously important, but unless you can see into the future with 100% accuracy there is no declaring how good/bad said story would be written.
It's common sense. It shouldn't ever happen. Blue Team sees each other as a family, not as friends. It's also rather hard for them to feel romantic feelings. Promoting a John-Kelly relationship is akin to practically promoting incest.
No, it's not "common sense". You do realize that people who are your friends can still be considered a part of your proverbial family, right? Also no it's not hard for them to feel romantic feelings, and we know this because of what we saw Victor, Otto, and Margaret go through in 'Halo: Bloodlines'. And as I've pointed out many times already, there is nothing in canon that indicates John and Kelly view each other as "siblings" in the literal sense. Ergo at this point they are no different than any childhood sweethearts who have stayed close their entire lives.
It... is hard for them to feel romantic feelings, actually. After augmentations, the sex drive was suppressed. Did you forget that? The nature and environment of Black Team is rather different than the nature and environment of Blue Team. If I recall incorrectly, wasn't Margaret and Otto's relationship only before augmentations anyways? That reasoning simply doesn't work since we have multitudes of evidence that suggest Blue Team is a family. They view each other as siblings.
No, it's not. The catalytic thyroid implant the S-IIs got only had the potential risk of a reduced sex drive - i.e. such a side effect was never guaranteed to happen at all or be permanent if it did. Not that it matters anyway, as sex drive has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on a person's capacity to feel genuine love and desire companionship. Also in what ways is the "nature and environment" of Black Team at all different than Blue Team? There literally is none. They went through all the same training and fought in the same wars. And while it is true that Margaret and Otto's relationship was while they were in training, it is made clear in the comic that Victor's own unrequited affection for her remained into adulthood. So it stands to reason that even after the augmentations Margaret and Otto could have maintained their relationship if not for Victor's interference in the first place. Not to mention we have Randall as another example; he fell in love, settled down, and even had a child with his wife after being stranded on an abandoned colony world well before the UNSC relocated him and eventually required he have most of his augmentations reversed as grounds for his release from service. Also you're confusing the meanings of the words of "family" and "relatives", as there is a difference between the two. Your close friends and significant other can be just as much a part of your family as anyone related to you by blood, if not more so. Now, some Spartan-IIs seeing each other more like literal siblings is bound to be the case for certain individuals - but again, obviously that isn't the case for all of them. And since we have yet to see anything that proves John or Kelly equate each other to siblings, they still fall well within the realm of individuals like Margaret, Otto, and Victor.
Are you trying to say that Black Team and Blue Team always went on the same missions everywhere everytime? Because they didn't. Not all Spartan-II's are the same person. Randall has found peace, John and Kelly hasn't. Relationships are a distraction during wartime (hence the reduced sex drive, remember? Given, you'll just try to say again that sex drives aren't related to love at all.) Also, I don't think the very specific definitions of family and realtives that you have given here doesn't matter at all. I mean, they way I see it, relatives are people you hold close and family is the people you grow up with, or a blood family. Begs the question, why would John love someone he grew up with anyways? This isn't a tale of star-crossed destinys that these two Spartans have.
It might
Well, if they 'might', then it'd be a catastrophically written story. It won't be happening.
Seriously. Why is two people who have cared about each other their entire lives, who trust, and respect each other in healthy ways possibly becoming a couple so scary? Especially if it's done the same way their relationship has been built up in things like the books up to this point? The execution of it is obviously important, but unless you can see into the future with 100% accuracy there is no declaring how good/bad said story would be written.
It's common sense. It shouldn't ever happen. Blue Team sees each other as a family, not as friends. It's also rather hard for them to feel romantic feelings. Promoting a John-Kelly relationship is akin to practically promoting incest.
No, it's not "common sense". You do realize that people who are your friends can still be considered a part of your proverbial family, right? Also no it's not hard for them to feel romantic feelings, and we know this because of what we saw Victor, Otto, and Margaret go through in 'Halo: Bloodlines'. And as I've pointed out many times already, there is nothing in canon that indicates John and Kelly view each other as "siblings" in the literal sense. Ergo at this point they are no different than any childhood sweethearts who have stayed close their entire lives.
It... is hard for them to feel romantic feelings, actually. After augmentations, the sex drive was suppressed. Did you forget that? The nature and environment of Black Team is rather different than the nature and environment of Blue Team. If I recall incorrectly, wasn't Margaret and Otto's relationship only before augmentations anyways? That reasoning simply doesn't work since we have multitudes of evidence that suggest Blue Team is a family. They view each other as siblings.
No, it's not. The catalytic thyroid implant the S-IIs got only had the potential risk of a reduced sex drive - i.e. such a side effect was never guaranteed to happen at all or be permanent if it did. Not that it matters anyway, as sex drive has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on a person's capacity to feel genuine love and desire companionship. Also in what ways is the "nature and environment" of Black Team at all different than Blue Team? There literally is none. They went through all the same training and fought in the same wars. And while it is true that Margaret and Otto's relationship was while they were in training, it is made clear in the comic that Victor's own unrequited affection for her remained into adulthood. So it stands to reason that even after the augmentations Margaret and Otto could have maintained their relationship if not for Victor's interference in the first place. Not to mention we have Randall as another example; he fell in love, settled down, and even had a child with his wife after being stranded on an abandoned colony world well before the UNSC relocated him and eventually required he have most of his augmentations reversed as grounds for his release from service. Also you're confusing the meanings of the words of "family" and "relatives", as there is a difference between the two. Your close friends and significant other can be just as much a part of your family as anyone related to you by blood, if not more so. Now, some Spartan-IIs seeing each other more like literal siblings is bound to be the case for certain individuals - but again, obviously that isn't the case for all of them. And since we have yet to see anything that proves John or Kelly equate each other to siblings, they still fall well within the realm of individuals like Margaret, Otto, and Victor.
Are you trying to say that Black Team and Blue Team always went on the same missions everywhere everytime? Because they didn't. Not all Spartan-II's are the same person. Randall has found peace, John and Kelly hasn't. Relationships are a distraction during wartime (hence the reduced sex drive, remember? Given, you'll just try to say again that sex drives aren't related to love at all.) Also, I don't think the very specific definitions of family and realtives that you have given here doesn't matter at all. I mean, they way I see it, relatives are people you hold close and family is the people you grow up with, or a blood family. Begs the question, why would John love someone he grew up with anyways? This isn't a tale of star-crossed destinys that these two Spartans have.
Just one issue here that I want to point out. The repressed sex drive was a possible risk of the augmentations and even if they did have that as a side effect it was never specified if it was permanent it may have been temporary. Which is also stated in the post you quoted. Also they are saying that Blue and Black team went through the same training and obstacles as each other, not that they were together all the time.
It might
No, I'm saying that they experienced the same training, the same wars, and the same hardships. Ergo there is no viable reason to say there is some difference between the natures of the two teams. Also I find it funny you're now saying that "not all Spartan-II's are the same person" while at the same time trying to make blanket statements about Blue Team. You can't have it both ways. Also so what if Randall found a way to live a normal life - John and Kelly still could too after their work is done. And either way just because they may not be in a formal relationship at this point in canon doesn't stop them from loving each other. And yes, for many, many people their sex-drive has nothing to do with their capacity to feel romantic love for another person. And regardless of semantics, in canon it has been made clear that the type of familial feelings the Spartan-IIs have for each other certainly do not always fall into the literal "siblings" bracket. Also you're kidding right? You seriously can't understand why John would potentially fall in love with his best friend - a person who understands him better than anyone and has always supported him, whom he trusts and cares for, whom he respects wholeheartedly, and whom he thinks is beautiful? Because those are pretty much all the things that make for the best kind of healthy, lasting romantic relationships. In fact it's basically the opposite of "star-crossed destinies", because they've spent real time together both on and off the battlefield in order to form their bond.
It might
No, I'm saying that they experienced the same training, the same wars, and the same hardships. Ergo there is no viable reason to say there is some difference between the natures of the two teams. Also I find it funny you're now saying that "not all Spartan-II's are the same person" while at the same time trying to make blanket statements about Blue Team. You can't have it both ways. Also so what if Randall found a way to live a normal life - John and Kelly still could too after their work is done. And either way just because they may not be in a formal relationship at this point in canon doesn't stop them from loving each other. And yes, for many, many people their sex-drive has nothing to do with their capacity to feel romantic love for another person. And regardless of semantics, in canon it has been made clear that the type of familial feelings the Spartan-IIs have for each other certainly do not always fall into the literal "siblings" bracket. Also you're kidding right? You seriously can't understand why John would potentially fall in love with his best friend - a person who understands him better than anyone and has always supported him, whom he trusts and cares for, whom he respects wholeheartedly, and whom he thinks is beautiful? Because those are pretty much all the things that make for the best kind of healthy, lasting romantic relationships. In fact it's basically the opposite of "star-crossed destinies", because they've spent real time together both on and off the battlefield in order to form their bond.
That inherently cannot work since the work ethic of Black Team would obviously be different from Blue Team. It doesn't matter if it falls into the literal "siblings" bracket, since they aren't literal siblings. But they grew up as how siblings would grow up with each other. Where has it been said that John thinks Kelly is beautiful? Because anything like that isn't coming to mind. This relationship simply just cannot work, and if it does, then it's going to be extremely weird seeing onscreen.
However, to derail the circlejerk, I'll give you one point. If wartime ever ends, and John and Kelly are relocated together, then it's entirely feasible to see Johnelly.
That inherently cannot work since the work ethic of Black Team would obviously be different from Blue Team. It doesn't matter if it falls into the literal "siblings" bracket, since they aren't literal siblings. But they grew up as how siblings would grow up with each other. Where has it been said that John thinks Kelly is beautiful? Because anything like that isn't coming to mind. This relationship simply just cannot work, and if it does, then it's going to be extremely weird seeing onscreen.
However, to derail the circlejerk, I'll give you one point. If wartime ever ends, and John and Kelly are relocated together, then it's entirely feasible to see Johnelly.
What are you talking about "work ethic"? There is literally nothing in canon to indicate that the Spartans on Black Team worked any less hard (during training or afterward) than anyone who was ever on Blue Team. Also your argument about their growing up situation still falls completely flat because Victor, Otto, and Margaret -as I've said multiple times already- lived under the exact same circumstances and John and Kelly have and they still developed romantic feelings for each other (and in Victor's case, those feelings never really dissipated even into adulthood). As far as John calling Kelly beautiful, it's in 'The Fall of Reach' as he is talking about his teammates prior to their first mission - and it is the only time he's every used such a sentiment to describe anyone. Also what would be "extremely weird" about John and Kelly simply having a brief, subtle intimate moment together just like they've had in the books? No one here is asking for anything beyond that - a few words, a lingering glance or touch of the hand is more than enough in Spartan-II terms to communicate such sentiments without detracting from the overall story. And like you just admitted yourself, any sort of relationship confirmation could come in the form of an epilogue or something that shows them just living happily together somewhere. The overall point here that this relationship absolutely can work and could be a very positive and healthy development for both characters if done in the right ways, and there is more than enough canon facts to support such an occurrence if it were to come to pass.
What are you talking about "work ethic"? There is literally nothing in canon to indicate that the Spartans on Black Team worked any less hard (during training or afterward) than anyone who was ever on Blue Team. Also your argument about their growing up situation still falls completely flat because Victor, Otto, and Margaret -as I've said multiple times already- lived under the exact same circumstances and John and Kelly have and they still developed romantic feelings for each other (and in Victor's case, those feelings never really dissipated even into adulthood). As far as John calling Kelly beautiful, it's in 'The Fall of Reach' as he is talking about his teammates prior to their first mission - and it is the only time he's every used such a sentiment to describe anyone. Also what would be "extremely weird" about John and Kelly simply having a brief, subtle intimate moment together just like they've had in the books? No one here is asking for anything beyond that - a few words, a lingering glance or touch of the hand is more than enough in Spartan-II terms to communicate such sentiments without detracting from the overall story. And like you just admitted yourself, any sort of relationship confirmation could come in the form of an epilogue or something that shows them just living happily together somewhere. The overall point here that this relationship absolutely can work and could be a very positive and healthy development for both characters if done in the right ways, and there is more than enough canon facts to support such an occurrence if it were to come to pass.
I feel like there's a miscommunication here. I wasn't talking about the training years, I was talking about the war and how as time progressed, the more the separate Spartan teams were assigned to different operations, the work ethic of the teams themselves would be different. Character bonds, all that. What would have been the 'extremely weird' thing to see was Johnelly during wartime, essentially. Oh, the brief subtle intimate moments together still fit, nobody ever said that they didn't.
I'm sure if John and Kelly wanted to go at it, it would've happen much much earlier in their lives. Now, they've been family for decades, they (as in Blue Team) are always there for one another, they are always there to say it's alright, and they will always try to save each lives because they care for one another. Once again, they are family. I believe one of the books even refers to them as a family. But my point is that they all need each other for mental support, chief especially needs blue team in his current situation, complicating it with a spontaneous romance which these characters aren't even supposed to be able to feel is ridiculous. It even if it were to happen I seriously doubt it would be with family. Maybe if Blue Team retires I can see them together, but still not romantically.
I'm sure if John and Kelly wanted to go at it, it would've happen much much earlier in their lives. Now, they've been family for decades, they (as in Blue Team) are always there for one another, they are always there to say it's alright, and they will always try to save each lives because they care for one another. Once again, they are family. I believe one of the books even refers to them as a family. But my point is that they all need each other for mental support, chief especially needs blue team in his current situation, complicating it with a spontaneous romance which these characters aren't even supposed to be able to feel is ridiculous. It even if it were to happen I seriously doubt it would be with family. Maybe if Blue Team retires I can see them together, but still not romantically.
No one is saying that the members of Blue Team aren't all important to each other or that all the Spartan-IIs aren't like family - the difference is that there is real, canonical reasoning to say that John and Kelly just might have feelings for each other that are more than just platonic. So such a development would be far from "spontaneous" if it was handled in the right ways. Also, as I've pointed out over and over, Spartan-IIs can feel romantic feelings for each other/other people. So no, it's not "ridiculous" at all. And it's still a potentially positive and healthy development for both characters.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 17
  4. 18
  5. ...
  6. 19