1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 19
I think love isn't a priority for a Spartan II
Who said it was a priority? There are plenty of people who are in a relationship or are in love and it's not a priority. You can be in love and not have it get in the way of your other interests.
firerwolf wrote:
Who said it was a priority? There are plenty of people who are in a relationship or are in love and it's not a priority. You can be in love and not have it get in the way of your other interests.
I agree with you. But is that a yes or no?
Quote:
JOHN AND KELLY.
Nay, Nope,That's a Negative.
firerwolf wrote:
I'm a yes. But I'm also one who doesn't think the series should make a big deal out of it just have it be a thing as it is in the books. But the point i was making is that this is a yes or no question about if they should be together not a "Should romance be the main theme of Halo" question.
firerwolf wrote:
firerwolf wrote:
I'm a yes. But I'm also one who doesn't think the series should make a big deal out of it just have it be a thing as it is in the books. But the point i was making is that this is a yes or no question about if they should be together not a "Should romance be the main theme of Halo" question.
Ok
Do they love each other? Possibly. Will they be together? Unlikely. Their destiny is to die in battle. We don't even know if they'll both make it through the events of Halo 6. But, if they do, then there is a possible chance that they will truly be together.
firerwolf wrote:
The two of them share is so special and it really should be a thing in the series. It's not a relationship built on "You're hot and I'm hot so we should be a couple" but rather decades of knowing one another. It's a bond built on perfectly supporting one another over years and years of hardship and that's something that's missing. It doesn't need to be romantic embraces in front of a sunset just what it's always been. It's being able to turn to each other when in need of stability. It's protecting one another and having a bond that means they are in sync. It's a relationship of love not sexual attraction which is what makes it so amazing. For all the trials the Spartans have been put through they are still humans and the love between John and Kelly is one of the purest representations of their humanity.
You could also say that for the rest of blue team too.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as it's handled well, not turned into a cheesy romance, and not a central plot-line, I'm cool with it. Kelly is probably going to end up with the chief if they ever get out of the war anyway.

Still the important part to remember is it's not necessarily the romantic element that some people want. It's the "special" dynamic that the Spartans have that I really want to see. Wither its romantic or not we kinda got hints of that in Halo 5, but I would like to see it more.... obviously.
#JohnandCortana
Did you really need to make another one of these threads? Almost everyone disagreed with you in the last one, why do you think that will change?

1. John and Kelly do love each other. However, this love is platonic and akin to siblings - not romantic.

2. Nearly all of your reasons are misinterpretations at best. Kelly is John's best friend and has been since they were kidnapped. He often chooses her to be part of his team because he trusts her abilities as well as her capability in being his second-in-command. However - he does not keep her on his team at all times. On your post you claimed that the only time Chief didn't choose to have Kelly accompany him is because the mission was too dangerous. This is completely wrong. John has participated in more operations and campaigns than Kelly meaning he likely chose other Spartans for his team depending on the mission parameters. This could mean that they may not see each other for several months at a time - whereas you make it sound like she never left his side. Likewise Kelly has participated in numerous solo operations. The Chief chose James-005 and Linda-058 because he believed their abilities would be better suited to the mission, and this is explicitly stated in the novel.

3. John used his body to shield Kelly in the Fall of Reach because she is a Spartan, a member of his team, and someone he cares deeply about (platonically). He would do it for any Spartan.

4. Relationships between Spartans were forbidden and other Spartans strongly disagreed with such fraternisation - as shown when Red Team gouged out Margaret-053's eye when they found out that she had secretly entered a relationship with Otto-031. Do you believe that John - squad leader of the Spartan IIs - would allow himself to partake in such behaviour? He and Kelly are professionals, entering a relationship could cause numerous potential problems such as damaging unit cohesion and interfering with mission directives. For him to do something like this would be completely out of character (like, really really out of character).

5. It has never so much as been hinted at that John and Kelly love each other in a romantic sense in any other form of media. If 343 were to pull this out of literally nowhere it would be absolutely horrendous writing and a butchering of their already established characters.
I really see the close bond John and Kelly have, it's subtle but enough for ideas to form, so my vote is yes
I really see the close bond John and Kelly have, it's subtle but enough for ideas to form, so my vote is yes
It's good to see another person that agrees
honestly who cares... 343 might as well make it happen ... the storyline so far is garbage so go ahead and give us something interesting.
OP can make a thread about whatever they want. Also since the vast majority of people who seem to disagree never explain or support their position with anything substantial, I don't see why their answers should determine the validity of such a topic's existence.

1. Okay, so we can all agree that John and Kelly love each other. That's good. However, the exact nature of that love is then subject to personal interpretation. If you see it as being strictly platonic, that's totally fine. There's nothing in canon that says otherwise. But there is also nothing in canon that says the inklings of romantic interest between them aren't there either or never could be. And at least we do know for a fact that romance between Spartan-IIs was definitely something that can and did happen.

2. Nothing was "misinterpreted" though - everything stated still has a basis in canon fact. Now if your own interpretation of the events and issues varies, that's fine. But what OP referenced wasn't wrong. Every time in Halo canon where we have seen John pick his team he has always chosen Kelly as a teammate, save for that one time during the siege of Reach. And yes, in the book John does say what skills James and Linda posses that he considers an asset to the space op; but the fact that he also says that he was certain the ground op was the safer mission combined with the fact he's not taking his regular Blue-Two with him (in spite of the fact she openly volunteered to go) is still something that seems notable. Aside from that we simply don't have enough details about the other missions the Chief went on that somehow garnered him more campaign/mission credits than the other S-IIs (though interestingly enough Kelly is second in number of missions/campaigns, so it's still not unreasonable to assume she was with him for the majority of them). Like Kelly, was he selected for a number of solo operations? Where there also times where he didn't get to personally pick the squad he worked with? We just don't know. Nobody here is saying that Kelly "never left the Chief's side ever", just that based on what we do know it's pretty clear that she's definitely been his most consistent companion. And that means a lot no matter how you see the nature of their relationship.

3. Again, nobody here is saying that the Chief wouldn't protect any of the other Spartans if they were wounded and in danger. Just that that moment in 'First Strike' definitely adds to the count of times where the depth of John and Kelly's bond has been highlighted in the EU, which is more than any other pair of Spartan-IIs. So make of that what you will - be it platonic, romantic, or something in between.

4. While fraternization between trainees is certainly not allowed during boot camp, it should be noted that Chief Mendez does not separate Black Team after Margaret and Otto are ratted out by Victor. Which doesn't make much sense if he was serious about discouraging further relationships from cropping up. Also as far as Red Team is concerned, it is elaborated on by Otto in the comic that they only attacked Black Team while they were in the brig because they were mad about having been thoroughly trounced by Black Team in a training exercise earlier and Red Team was just using Otto and Margaret being caught as an excuse to start a fight. So really the only reason Otto and Margaret's relationship was undone was because Victor was jealous of them since he was in love with Margaret too - but even after this falling out Black Team was still able to maintain unit cohesion and worked effectively in the field together right up to their untimely demise in spite of the fact Victor's romantic feelings for Margaret never fully went away. John and Kelly do not have this issue however, so it stands to reason that they would be more than capable of harboring romantic feelings for each other and still be perfectly fine being on a team together and able to do their jobs without fail. And for them to enter into a relationship in the future would not be out of character for either of them given the right circumstances.

5. Once more, this is basically of a matter of interpretation. Though it's already been outlined how what we currently have to work with could definitely be used as the basis for a romance to be built/confirmed later on - so it wouldn't be "out of nowhere" by any means. And again, nobody here is asking for anything more than the same type of subtle gestures they've displayed in the books. Also how would it be "butchering their established characters" to have two best friends who have always respected, supported, and cared for each other in healthy ways finally find some peace together after their work is done? Like I've said before as well, logically speaking it's unlikely to happen, but there certainly wouldn't be any harm caused by it if it did. That's essentially the point OP and others like myself are trying to make.
Ya know, it would be -Yoinking!- hilarious if such were to happen xD
Having read 'The Fall of Reach', Kelly seems to be the member of Blue Team that John is closest to, they could make a cute couple BUT it shouldn't happen. It could be hinted at subtlely in the dialogue, but that should be where it ends. At least until 343 sacks Brian Reed and hires a writer who can actually, you know, write LOL!!!
I say "No" right now, but if they do make it happen, I honestly won't give a -Yoink- just as long as it isn't to intrusive when it comes to any storylines, in-game or out of game.
Fred, John both want Kelly but Bromance and Linda wants Kelly...
Master Beefy only likes A.I. Meat.

And It just seems unlikely to me.

Why does it seem unlikely?

Why does it seem unlikely?
Seems to me people say since the have been raised together they basically family. I know they may have a lot of development off-game. I just think if they do get together to let it be on game.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 19