OP Thrilluwu

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 11
I would like to have a little more play time as the Chief, but Locke will probably become a great character.
I think hes alright but lets just wait until we play the game before we start judging him, ok?
Let's talk about a literary device called character arc.

Locke has room to grow and develop. 'Nuff said. It took Chief 4 games to get to where he is, do you really want Locke that fleshed out from the gate?
I understand, but they're giving a gigantic role to a character than no one knows or cares about yet as such a lead character. I mean, if anything some people DON'T like him because of his blind allegiance to ONI
Thrilluwu wrote:
Arparagus wrote:
Why don't we like, you know, wait until we actually play the game to decide?
Well he has a lot of lore out already, from trailers, to nightfall, and the books! That's why I put "i don't know' as an option because who knows, he could suprise us.
Locke isn't in any books (unless you count the Halo 5 artbook, I guess).
Try not to cry

Here and Here
Wow, really disappointed...
Thrilluwu wrote:
Let's talk about a literary device called character arc.

Locke has room to grow and develop. 'Nuff said. It took Chief 4 games to get to where he is, do you really want Locke that fleshed out from the gate?
I understand, but they're giving a gigantic role to a character than no one knows or cares about yet as such a lead character. I mean, if anything some people DON'T like him because of his blind allegiance to ONI
They gave CE to a character nobody literally knew anything about. Then they fleshed him out after the fact...

They're also presuming blind allegiance. Sure, that's what we've seen so far, but that's not all there is to the story.
Thrilluwu wrote:
Arparagus wrote:
Well he has a lot of lore out already, from trailers, to nightfall, and the books! That's why I put "i don't know' as an option because who knows, he could suprise us.
Yeah, he's only in Nightfall, some terminals in the MCC and H5. They're giving him way too big of a role, it would be like if the Arbiter had 10 of the 13 missions in Halo 2.
i hate locke, nothing about him measures up to the master. the master chief that is
dgoBites wrote:
Try not to cry

Here and Here
Why?
Try not to cry

Here and Here
Remember when Mike Colter said months ago that he would be the primary playable character for Halo 5?
I see absolutely no issues with it...we need a more dynamic story and with Locke I think we will get it.
DreadGrunt wrote:
Thrilluwu wrote:
Arparagus wrote:
Yeah, he's only in Nightfall, some terminals in the MCC and H5. They're giving him way too big of a role, it would be like if the Arbiter had 10 of the 13 missions in Halo 2.
Nah, he's fine.
I don't know yet I suppose it all depends on his actions in Halo 5: Guardians and if he has some badass moments like chief
Try not to cry

Here and Here
Remember when Mike Colter said months ago that he would be the primary playable character for Halo 5?
This, Click this text for proof
I have no problem with Locke, I think he could be a pretty cool character. But I will say I'm mightily disappointed by the mission split. I thought chief was AWOL from the UNSC, not the gamer.
Cotallion wrote:
I have no problem with Locke, I think he could be a pretty cool character. But I will say I'm mightily disappointed by the mission split. I thought chief was AWOL from the UNSC, not the gamer.
Exactly. I like Locke too. I wouldn't mind a 50/50 split ... or even a 40/60 ... but this is a bit much. Those three missions better be lengthy as hell. If not, I'm gonna take 4-6 hours playing them. Each. lol
I'm here for Locke. I like his armor. I like the voice actor they have for him. I like that he's not the same cut and paste protagonist from just about every other game franchise. And I like that he has a strong moral center.

I also think it's cool how his background is rooted in doing wetwork for ONI, which is something we haven't really seen too much of in Halo lore. It's interesting and different.

Nightfall was underwhelming, but I watched it enough times to develop a new found appreciation for it. It told me that Locke keeps a cool head under pressure and values efficiency in executing the mission and teamwork. He's serious, but he's not stoic to the point of being unapproachable. He cares deeply for the people under his command, and like Chief, has a duty to humanity. He's smart, and willing to get his hands dirty if necessary, but still has a strong moral compass. He's literally just about everything a Spartan should be.

People say he's not a good leader because his team turned against him in Nightfall. These are emotionally vulnerable human beings in a hostile world with a very low chance of survival. The chain of command has little to no place there. The best leaders in the world would have a hard time keeping that situation under control without bashing some skulls in.

Then there are folks rallying against him because he's hunting down the Chief. Do people not understand how serious going AWOL is in the military? it's considered a punishable offense. To add on to that, no one knows what Chief is doing, just that he's somehow connected to these guardians that are costing people their homes and lives. Locke was chosen to retrieve the Master Chief because of his history in wetwork and acquisitions, and I wouldn't be surprised if his combat scores were very impressive as well.

Also, it should be made clear that Locke does not want to kill the Chief. His given job is to bring him home, and he has no desire to kill the greatest hero humanity has ever known. He only intends to use force if necessary.

I love the Chief, I've been with him since the Fall of Reach, but at some point, those protagonist reigns need to be passed, and I think Locke is a great choice for the next eventual face of the franchise.
dgoBites wrote:
Try not to cry

Here and Here
Why?
Only a few Chief missions? All my excitement for the campaign is gone.
Still excited for Arena though.
I find it funny how a couple days ago, people mentioned the mission balance as being 12:3 and all those threads were locked for discussion of "leaked content."

That same day was when the embargo for review copies was lifted to allow footage of mission 1-3 and 8.

On a side note, why is 343i doing early releases and allowing so much campaign footage to be posted when I do not believe that was the case with Halo 4. Why not just make everyone wait until the 27th? You know, kind of spoils the fun even if you don't watch it.
They've said many times in the past that we will be monitoring chiefs story through locke's eyes. Not to mention the hunter and prey marketing that they've been doing for halo 5 for a while. It wouldn't make sense to have the prey have as many missions as the hunter
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 11