7. ...
  8. 11
dgoBites wrote:
dgoBites wrote:
Try not to cry

Here and Here
Wow, really disappointed...
Why?
Only a few Chief missions? All my excitement for the campaign is gone.
Still excited for Arena though.
I mean locke's voice actor did tell us that he would be the primary character in halo 5..... it isn't like they left you in the dark.... the info is here.......
dgoBites wrote:
dgoBites wrote:
Try not to cry

Here and Here
Why?
I mean locke's voice actor did tell us that he would be the primary character in halo 5..... it isn't like they left you in the dark.... the info is here.......
And Frankie did immediate damage control and said Chief is still the main protagonist, which obviously isn't true.
People said the exact same -Yoink- about the Arbiter when he was first introduced, and look how beloved that character has become.
I like what I've seen so far, but I'll wait to form an opinion until I've beaten the game.
I'm here for Locke. I like his armor. I like the voice actor they have for him. I like that he's not the same cut and paste protagonist from just about every other game franchise. And I like that he has a strong moral center.

I also think it's cool how his background is rooted in doing wetwork for ONI, which is something we haven't really seen too much of in Halo lore. It's interesting and different.

Nightfall was underwhelming, but I watched it enough times to develop a new found appreciation for it. It told me that Locke keeps a cool head under pressure and values efficiency in executing the mission and teamwork. He's serious, but he's not stoic to the point of being unapproachable. He cares deeply for the people under his command, and like Chief, has a duty to humanity. He's smart, and willing to get his hands dirty if necessary, but still has a strong moral compass. He's literally just about everything a Spartan should be.

People say he's not a good leader because his team turned against him in Nightfall. These are emotionally vulnerable human beings in a hostile world with a very low chance of survival. The chain of command has little to no place there. The best leaders in the world would have a hard time keeping that situation under control without bashing some skulls in.

Then there are folks rallying against him because he's hunting down the Chief. Do people not understand how serious going AWOL is in the military? it's considered a punishable offense. To add on to that, no one knows what Chief is doing, just that he's somehow connected to these guardians that are costing people their homes and lives. Locke was chosen to retrieve the Master Chief because of his history in wetwork and acquisitions, and I wouldn't be surprised if his combat scores were very impressive as well.

Also, it should be made clear that Locke does not want to kill the Chief. His given job is to bring him home, and he has no desire to kill the greatest hero humanity has ever known. He only intends to use force if necessary.

I love the Chief, I've been with him since the Fall of Reach, but at some point, those protagonist reigns need to be passed, and I think Locke is a great choice for the next eventual face of the franchise.
I think he could be a great choice, but otherwise agree with your post. I'm leaving the possibility of him falling flat as a character open.

I just got the Osiris Suite in the OST and it is really, really good. There's a lot of honor and nobility under that blue visor, if the music is any indication. Which is good, because that's how Cortana described Chief in FoR.
I legitimately like Locke
Umm the game comes out next week...so maybe it's too soon to tell?

Maybe?
DreadGrunt wrote:
dgoBites wrote:
dgoBites wrote:
Try not to cry

Here and Here
Why?
And Frankie did immediate damage control and said Chief is still the main protagonist, which obviously isn't true.
As of now he is the main protagonist, they've said many times that locke's role isn't just hunting chief but it is also observing cheifs actions which basically means that even though we will be playing as locke more than chief we are mearly observers of the chiefs l and his story in halo 5. Which makes him the main protagonist.
Locke Sucks!
PWEI wrote:
People said the exact same -Yoink- about the Arbiter when he was first introduced, and look how beloved that character has become.
I hate him. And I think Sarah palmers sassy character backfired too.
DreadGrunt wrote:
dgoBites wrote:
dgoBites wrote:
Try not to cry

Here and Here
Why?
As of now he is the main protagonist, they've said many times that locke's role isn't just hunting chief but it is also observing cheifs actions which basically means that even though we will be playing as locke more than chief we are mearly observers of the chiefs l and his story in halo 5. Which makes him the main protagonist.
I don't want to 'observe' his story... I want to play his story..
Like the rest of Halo 1-4...

This should have been more of a side Story game, like Reach and ODST.... Not Halo '5'.... then I would have been fine with it.

Oh well though, it's out next week. Whatever.
I was worried the campaign would be mostly Locke, but I'll reserve judgement until I play it.
ODST and Reach worked great without having Chief as the protagonist, as did the Arbiter sections in 2.
Should never see the guy's face we play as. So don't see him ever being a main character in Halo, just supporting Chief's story.
DreadGrunt wrote:
dgoBites wrote:
dgoBites wrote:
Try not to cry

Here and Here
Why?
Yeah, because finding random items on the ground will be so enjoyable and really make me enjoy having Blue Team in the game. I'm not against Locke being a playable character, but giving him the vast majority of the game is a mistake. Frankly at this point most of my hype for the campaign has died, I'll reserve my final judgement until I play but I'm not expecting to be blown away.
The same people that made Locke made palmer. Remember that both if he falls flat, and remember that to redeem them if he becomes a loved halo character.
I think Locke is good. Based off of the Nightfall series and from the added scenes with the Arbiter in Halo 2, I think he will be a pretty strong character. Nightfall shown that he is a strong and compassionate leader even when it seemed impossible to get off the destroyed Halo ring that was going to be engulfed within hours (sorry if I spoiled anything for anyone) and in the cut scenes that was added to Halo 2 showed his drive as a hunter to get his mission done. So in some sense, I feel that Master Chief and Locke are quite similar being that the are excellent leaders, the have that drive to get the mission done, and even though they portray a strong and unflinched personal, they still have a compassionate side. I have high hopes for Locke so I hope that I am not wrong from the conclusions I have drawn from Nightfall, Halo 2 Cut scene, and the trailers.

This post has been hidden.

Predictions: Lockes realization that ONI is bull and that humanity in danger slowly pushes him to help chief, chief dies at the end Locke carries on his legacy. Predictable?
lol am I the only one who voted I hate Locke?
Hehe I chose that ONLY cuz I am in deep love with masterchief thou, I cannot ever like Locke....
I'd say I don't know yet, haven't played the game. And, I'm just putting this out there, if we're exclusively looking at just the games here and not the extended universe, the Chief's character has been mostly quite dull. The Chief worked as a character before Halo 4 because you had a very in-depth and interesting universe surrounding him, but was there any real depth to his character besides what we see in Halo 4? Not really.

So, if we're comparing what we know of Locke to the latest rendition of the Master Chief, I'd say the only thing the Chief has on Locke is that he's had more games to be in. And that is the point I'm making, I'm sure if Locke is given the chance to grow in to a great character, so he will (provided the writers do a good job).
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 11