Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Poll Discussions

Locke vs Chief? Should Chief been more dominant?

OP F1uffyCo0ki3

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
And rip his helmet in half?
Im not sure even chief could do that
Chief would’ve definetly kicked Locke’s -Yoink-. 343 could’ve made it so 2-3 of the members in fireteam osiris were up against Chief. This would have made the fight more realistic within the universe. Masterchief is something like 7ft 2 inch and lockes probably around 6 ft. Chief also was abducted and raised to be an enhanced super soldier. Remember chief is the pinnacle of humanity, as it says in halo 4 chief is the peak of humanity, whereas locke is just some -Yoink- assasin who put on a suit one day and thought he could take ou the man who saved the humanity 3 times. -Yoink- off locke.
The whole scene was just done poorly. The mechanics of the fighting were bad and obviously the fact that Locke had any success in the fight was frowned upon by most of the community. Chief is humanity’s greatest warrior and has been through it all. His entire life has been fighting and war. Sure he shouldn’t have absolutely destroyed Locke and almost kill him but he should of disposed of him rather quickly in a more one sided fight.
Oojafried wrote:
Chief would’ve definetly kicked Locke’s -Yoink-. 343 could’ve made it so 2-3 of the members in fireteam osiris were up against Chief. This would have made the fight more realistic within the universe.
Absolutely not. Two veteran soldiers in the same amplifying armor would be closely matched, with the individual with more experience coming out on top. And that is exactly what happened.
It would be incredibly outlandish for Chief to single-handedly take on two or three Spartans at one time. He would be quickly defeated.

Oojafried wrote:
Masterchief is something like 7ft 2 inch and lockes probably around 6 ft.
Locke is actually only a mere 4 inches shorter than Chief.
I think more people need to take a gander at what the S-IVs augments do.
Oojafried wrote:
Chief also was abducted and raised to be an enhanced super soldier. Remember chief is the pinnacle of humanity, as it says in halo 4 chief is the peak of humanity, whereas locke is just some -Yoink- assasin who put on a suit one day and thought he could take ou the man who saved the humanity 3 times. -Yoink- off locke.
The beginning of Halo 4 was stating how the Spartans were humanity's next step. Their "destiny as a species". It goes hand-in-hand with Ackerson wanting to augment every human when the advancement in augmentation procedures would arrive.
Chief is not the epitome of the Spartans, on the contrary he's noted as an averagely skilled Spartan with exceptional leading qualities. Locke, "Mr. put on the suit one day" was very successful in his line of work even before ONI inducted him. He then underwent further training and became one of ONI's top agents. Calling him just some assassin is like saying Chief is just some soldier. You're greatly undermining what Locke can do.

The whole scene was just done poorly. The mechanics of the fighting were bad and obviously the fact that Locke had any success in the fight was frowned upon by most of the community. Chief is humanity’s greatest warrior and has been through it all. His entire life has been fighting and war. Sure he shouldn’t have absolutely destroyed Locke and almost kill him but he should of disposed of him rather quickly in a more one sided fight.
See, I don't get this one-sided viewpoint that people want from that fight. Both of them are veterans and quite experienced. Chief has undeniably more experience than Locke, but that doesn't negate Locke's capabilities. For Chief to dominate the fight Locke would need to be making quite a few mistakes or be physically incapable of withstanding Chief's attacks.
In the end, Locke did make the mistake of taking too long to pull out the armor restraint and Chief capitalized on it. That is how I prefer the fight. Both show that they have skill, but the more experienced individual ultimately wins. None of this "all of Osiris vs Chief" or "Chief defeats Locke with one hand behind his back".
Chief could have made Locke eat that gun. Chief literally PUNCHED A NUKE and lived. what did Locke do that even made infinity think he anywhere near qualified to taking out Chief.
tL Armada wrote:
Oojafried wrote:
Chief would’ve definetly kicked Locke’s -Yoink-. 343 could’ve made it so 2-3 of the members in fireteam osiris were up against Chief. This would have made the fight more realistic within the universe.
Absolutely not. Two veteran soldiers in the same amplifying armor would be closely matched, with the individual with more experience coming out on top. And that is exactly what happened.
It would be incredibly outlandish for Chief to single-handedly take on two or three Spartans at one time. He would be quickly defeated.

Oojafried wrote:
Masterchief is something like 7ft 2 inch and lockes probably around 6 ft.
Locke is actually only a mere 4 inches shorter than Chief.
I think more people need to take a gander at what the S-IVs augments do.
Oojafried wrote:
Chief also was abducted and raised to be an enhanced super soldier. Remember chief is the pinnacle of humanity, as it says in halo 4 chief is the peak of humanity, whereas locke is just some -Yoink- assasin who put on a suit one day and thought he could take ou the man who saved the humanity 3 times. -Yoink- off locke.
The beginning of Halo 4 was stating how the Spartans were humanity's next step. Their "destiny as a species". It goes hand-in-hand with Ackerson wanting to augment every human when the advancement in augmentation procedures would arrive.
Chief is not the epitome of the Spartans, on the contrary he's noted as an averagely skilled Spartan with exceptional leading qualities. Locke, "Mr. put on the suit one day" was very successful in his line of work even before ONI inducted him. He then underwent further training and became one of ONI's top agents. Calling him just some assassin is like saying Chief is just some soldier. You're greatly undermining what Locke can do.

See, I don't get this one-sided viewpoint that people want from that fight. Both of them are veterans and quite experienced. Chief has undeniably more experience than Locke, but that doesn't negate Locke's capabilities. For Chief to dominate the fight Locke would need to be making quite a few mistakes or be physically incapable of withstanding Chief's attacks.
In the end, Locke did make the mistake of taking too long to pull out the armor restraint and Chief capitalized on it. That is how I prefer the fight. Both show that they have skill, but the more experienced individual ultimately wins. None of this "all of Osiris vs Chief" or "Chief defeats Locke with one hand behind his back".
I get what you’re saying and you do make good points. I understand that Locke is no pushover by any means and has a wealth of combat experience. Saying Locke and Cheif are closely matched though I think is reaching a bit. I think Locke should put up a decent fight but the fight scene essentially makes it look like they are almost equals. Locke basically scored a boxing equivalent of a knockdown on John and cracked his visor! I think In reality that’s a bit of a stretch and the Cheif wouldn’t be so susceptible. The “one-sided” view comes about because most of the community sees Chief as a ledgendary figure who is basically unstoppable. It’s hard to bring in a character like Locke when most fans don’t have any knowledge of his background and the extents of his training. With that being said most fans of the series wanted to see him lose badly in this fight. I do agree with you on the fact that Locke is very experienced and has undeniable skill. He shouldn’t just be destroyed by the Chief likes he’s an amateur. They could of showcased Locke’s combat skills much more eloquently while showing the Chief countering and defending against Locke’s advanced striking.
tL Armada wrote:
I get what you’re saying and you do make good points. I understand that Locke is no pushover by any means and has a wealth of combat experience. Saying Locke and Cheif are closely matched though I think is reaching a bit. I think Locke should put up a decent fight but the fight scene essentially makes it look like they are almost equals. Locke basically scored a boxing equivalent of a knockdown on John and cracked his visor! I think In reality that’s a bit of a stretch and the Cheif wouldn’t be so susceptible. The “one-sided” view comes about because most of the community sees Chief as a ledgendary figure who is basically unstoppable. It’s hard to bring in a character like Locke when most fans don’t have any knowledge of his background and the extents of his training. With that being said most fans of the series wanted to see him lose badly in this fight. I do agree with you on the fact that Locke is very experienced and has undeniable skill. He shouldn’t just be destroyed by the Chief likes he’s an amateur. They could of showcased Locke’s combat skills much more eloquently while showing the Chief countering and defending against Locke’s advanced striking.
I wholly agree with you that the fight was poorly done. I understand the use for motion capture rather than complete animation for the fight, but it left the fight feeling empty and lacking in the way Spartans would fight.
I also see the perception that Chief is unstoppable due to how many games now showing him trounce through Covvies like a walk in the park. But I also see how that perception is incorrect. All too often I think people start believing the gameplay would translate the same in the lore.
In the EU Chief is much more grounded; he's been outmatched by certain Covenant foes, deceived and captured by Insurrectionists, and repeatedly outsmarted in training by other Spartans (Kurt's team, to be precise). Chief is established to be quite competent, but certainly beatable.
Locke was a freelance assassin for years before ONI took him in, then trained and honed his skills further. He became one of ONI's top agents. That's pretty big. So important, in fact, that he was considered to assassinate Arbiter of all people, even before he was a Spartan. Later he would become a Spartan and undergo even more training. Training so tough Buck commented on it.

That's why I make the claim that Locke is close to Chief in skill, but due to not being wholly consumed from childhood in the ways of combat, wouldn't be quite to the same level.
This poll made me lol. Chief would have destroyed Locke. Also, the fight would have been much faster-paced. As in almost impossible to follow to the naked eye. Think a Bruce Lee martial arts movie cranked up to 11.

The Act Man has a video series on Halo 5's campaign and he talks about these scene extensively and breaks down why it was done so poorly (bad choreography, Blue Team and Osiris sitting there idly, Locke waiting to pull out the armor lock just for dramatic effect, etc.).

I would've liked to see Chief have Locke clearly beaten then say something like, "I'm going to find her, she chose me." Or something cool like that. Obviously, Chief would not want to seriously injure a fellow Spartan, but gotta show these folks who saved Earth!
Chief had the more combat experience so yeah I agree Locke should of been man handled a little bit more, extra damage, scratches or missing armor units. but at the same time maybe they did it this way to portray a mutual respect between the two Spartans so chief didn't utilize his 100% potential.
Chief could have destroyed Locke. From what i hear is that chief holds himself back when fighting other humans.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2