Forums / Community / Poll Discussions

Microtransactions in Infinite

OP TheInspector904

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2

Should Halo Infinite bring back microtransactions?

Poll Ended

Please don't hate me for this, I only want to see peoples genuine opinion on the topic of micro transactions / in game purchases
They're already confirmed to be in Infinite so my opinion on this isn't going to matter. That said, no. I don't like them.
I don't like microtansactions but if they are just cosmetic, I geuss I'm okay with it.
Nope. Microtransactions do nothing good for anyone but the publisher. If it’s cosmetic than that means those armor pieces you unlocked mean nothing, you aren’t a really good player who went through hell and back to get sweet armor, it just means you got lucky on a card pack or just outright bought it, and makes games less meaningful because you’d do very well and just get a card pack, instead of just getting XP and buying the thing you want. DLC is a mixed bag. We want a complete game, and we want DLC ONCE WE ASK FOR IT, not once Microsoft decides to get out their digital scissors and sell us snips of the game we just bought back to us. Micro-transactions are complete trash and need to stay in the crater they’re in after EA got nuked by the whole gaming community. I prefer they don’t touch this franchise anymore. I already got scammed in Halo Wars 2, and if they continue to pull this crap then I’m probably done with Halo.
Yeah why not.
I Love req packs.
Req packs are not annoying, you can get everything just playing the game.

So, yes.
Bring them back.
Here's what I hope the confirmed micro's are. I want it to be map packs, honest to God ones, not forge world creations lol... Think back to Halo 2, and Halo 3 (assuming you was there during it). They was the top of their field, noone who had an Xbox (at least that I knew), didn't play, or would stop what they was doing, to play all night. I bought map packs as soon as they came out, I would've bought one every week, because it was worth it. If Infinite brings Halo back to the top, I'll get whatever micro is required of me to get, gladly.
Microtransactions ruin about every game that they are in
Hell no.
No micro transactions plz. But if they do, req pack are ok ;(
I have no love for microtransactions, and they are becoming a deal-breaker for more and more players as time goes on.
In a perfect world I'm sure most of us agree we don't want to see them back but that's just not going to happen, it's just too lucrative.
Yeah why not.
I Love req packs.

So, yes.
Bring them back.
Please tell me this is satire.
Micro transactions don’t belong in a game with a full price tag. They should stay in free to play games. Unfortunately since Halo Infinite is confirmed to have micro transactions, I will have to buy it on the used market just on principle
Yeah why not.
I Love req packs.

So, yes.
Bring them back.
Please tell me this is satire.
No, It's not.
Yeah why not.
I Love req packs.

So, yes.
Bring them back.
Yes you can certainly just play the game enough to get everything. The problem with that though is the fact that most people don't have that kind of time. Back during EA's controversy over Battlefront II, it was calculated that it would take 40 hours of gameplay to unlock a hero character. That was deliberately done to encourage the use of microtransactions. I haven't heard anything on that level about 343, but MTs have the stigma of being used to squeeze more cash out of the fan base. They're a cash grab plain and simple.

It's like buying an app on your phone and then still getting advertisements. If a game is free, MTs are gonna be a part of the deal. But if you have to pay for it, MTs come off as predatory.
In a perfect world I'm sure most of us agree we don't want to see them back but that's just not going to happen, it's just too lucrative.
Part of me hopes that companies will just increase the price of games soon. I would rather pay more for a complete game with no microtransactions than pay less for an incomplete game with them.
John9895 wrote:
Part of me hopes that companies will just increase the price of games soon. I would rather pay more for a complete game with no microtransactions than pay less for an incomplete game with them.
Honestly I would too. Games cost ridiculous amounts to make these days yet they've stayed the same price for us to buy. On top of that gamers expect post launch content for free with no mtx. I get the frustration when devs go too far with mtx (like EA) but no one looks at it from the perspective of the people who make the games.
John9895 wrote:
100% agree. I'd rather pay $80-$100 for the base game with all the unlocks included in a legitimate progression system than $60 + MTs. As much as I hate MTs, I do understand what caused their rise to prominence. The price of a AAA game hasn't changed all that much in the last decade, yet the cost of making a AAA game has skyrocketed. So either cut the costs and the fan base should be happy with what they get for $60, or increase the price to maintain those high costs of production.

EDIT: Just read Fully Skully's response, and also agree with them :P
I don't want anything locked behind a paywall. If you have the choice to pay or unlock then ok. But i really enjoy unlocking things with gameplay and achievements, compared to The terrible random unlocks.
Micro-transactions in video games can be a very complex subject, not really something that's all black and white. But to keep things short, I voted no, just because of how slippery of a slope it can be for a game to go overboard with them (Halo 5).

But to further explain my thoughts, I wouldn't be completely out of favor for micro-transactions in Halo Infinite if they're handled right. Think Titanfall 2 for example, if they make some unique armor and weapon skins available for purchase, but leave some available for normal unlock, then it would be perfect. This way, people can still show their support for the game by buying the armor through the store, while others who aren't so fortunate can unlock similarly cool cosmetic items through normal gameplay.

However, there are 2 sides to this coin. If we start thinking like Halo 5 funnily enough, things get very grim very fast. At the beginning, I was thinking the same way as everyone else, "they're mostly cosmetic and the REQ weapons wont effect the arena playlists, so I'm cool with that". But as the game grew, with update after update, there seemed to be a trend. A lot of focus was put into Warzone, which, by itself, isn't that bad, until you start thinking that Warzone is just one gamemode and there is this much effort being put into it. Which then, it turn, left less resources available for Arena updates. And I can't say for sure, but it's my personal theory that Warzone is one of the big reasons that the campaign flopped and Forge and Theater were absent at launch. Warzone's scale was just so big, that it kept demanding more and more of the devs time and resources. more armor, weapons, and vehicles had to be made to expland the REQ "market". entirely new maps with AI spans, base locations, and boss spawn locations had to be made. To quicken things up, as long as they don't go overboard with them, I'd be fine.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2