OP gluecarton

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
gluecarton wrote:
Going to go with none of these:
Classic movement but with higher base-speed and accuracy loss if moving at full speed. Yes to clamber. Maybe to very limited sprinting and maybe to limited thrusters (longer cooldowns though)
Just watched a video by Favyn on Youtube that dives into the issues with enhanced movement mechanics.

To summarize a point that stuck with me: whenever you employ a mechanic like clamber, for example, you lose the ability to throw grenades, shoot, and melee enemies while doing the mechanic. In games with classic movement, you are more free to do stuff while moving around. So the question becomes, which mode of movement is truly enhanced? The one where you have to sacrifice combat ability to move, or the one that allows you to remain combat effective while moving? I'd go with the latter.

Because the levels are designed around the enhanced movement, when you finally stop to engage in combat with another player (and stop using those mechanics during that combat), the level design is less optimized imo.
MorseyBaby wrote:
gluecarton wrote:
Classic movement but with higher base-speed and accuracy loss if moving at full speed. Yes to clamber. Maybe to very limited sprinting and maybe to limited thrusters (longer cooldowns though)
^this^
Yeah the choices don't give you much flexibility in saying what should be in a game. But to be fair it is hard to nail down what people want and there is a whole megathread that people will dogpile on you if you state anything to the ridiculousness of that discussion of what is classic.
When the move from Halo CE to H2 fall damage was taken out, that was the first major change to movement. I posted a poll on if they want it to return or not and the answer was no. With clamber it has been in since H2 it is just that the player could not use it, NPCs such as Elites and even construction workers could climb to heights that you couldn't crouch jump to. However NPCs having movement that wasn't available to the player has been in since H1 with the elites dodge roll (especially if you were in a warthog). H4 was the one that started to standardized advance movement, sprint was no longer an item in your inventory. We all know about H5, it has so many problems that movement is probably the least concerning one. Then again I don't find the metastate of a game to be the most important issue when compared to other thing (monitization, structure, features, stability).
For me, the most important mobility mechanic to carry over into Halo Infinite's game-play will be the Clamber mechanic. I'm hoping they can make the clamber mechanic even better/smoother in Infinite. I will be extremely upset if it's not carried over to Infinite's game-play. It adds so much more immersion and vertical freedom to the game-play; plus, it can still allow for a deep skill-gap relating to vertical mobility to exist as evidence by Halo 5 if done right.

After that it's the Sprint and Slide mechanics which were extremely well balanced within Halo 5. Personally, I really, REALLY want these mechanics to return; particularly, with the balance that Halo 5 had, but I know there's a vocal segment of the community who passionately don't want to see Sprint return so we'll see.

Beyond that it then becomes the armor's now integrated Thruster Boost and Stabilize mechanics, but with the more classic styled appearance of the Master Chief's armor for Infinite I get the sense that the integrated thruster concept may have been dropped from the armor... maybe.

If the integrated Thruster concept were to remain as part of the armor and in-turn likely brought back to maintain some standard mobility-related abilities like Boost and Stabilize then it's reasonable to assume that the Ground Pound and Spartan Charge mechanics could also potentially return from Halo 5. Though, most of these mechanics should receive some much needed modifications. This is not to suggest that all of these mechanics have to continue being treated as so-called "standard abilities" like Halo 5 marketed and treated them in everything but particular modes/playlists.

Regarding the Stabilize mechanic in particular, I envision potential growth to its functional use by removing the requirement (in Halo 5) to enact the Smart-Link/Scope function to gain access to it. In other words, simply allow the mechanic to be enacted when airborne without the need to be Smart-Linked. This should lead to some cleaner and perhaps new interesting game-play metas related to stabilizing.

Personally, I have no issue with the current workings of the Thruster Boost mechanic and if it returns I hope it remains, more or less, exactly the same. If the integrated thruster concept doesn't return they could still potentially provide a similar, but more limited, concept by bringing back the "Evade" AA maneuver from Reach as a standard movement ability instead. I'm not necessarily on board with that idea as being ideal, but it's an interesting thought.

Depending on how they wanted to rework the Spartan Charge concept it could potentially make a re-appearance (with the Sprint mechanic) despite the integrated thruster concept being removed; in other words, it doesn't necessarily require extra momentum from Thrusters to make practical sense as a mechanic, but if the integrated thruster concept does return then it makes more sense to link it to this mechanic. Nevertheless, the modifications that I would recommend the charge concept receive should reduce its effectiveness from Halo 5 while also increasing the risk associated to its use (for example).

The Ground Pound mechanic I perceived as a good idea when viewed as an upgraded mod enhancement to the capabilities of the integrated thruster concept. Like the Stabilize mechanic this would, in fact, require the integrated thruster concept to return. Personally, I think this mechanic should be reserved for potential use in particular social environments and the campaign; in fact, I’d advise that some of the armor's thruster related abilities simple be offered up as performance armor mods in the next iteration of the Warzone environment thus allowing most arena playlists to either be free of them or restrict them as they see fit. One particular way would be to have it as an in-game pick-up/add-on which limits its use as a single type of armor upgrade people could fight over to have.

I could also see the integrated thruster concept being expanded to introduce additional mechanics too. Under the upgraded enhancement mod concept I could see something like the Jet Pack concept returning or some type of mid-air multi-jump concept being possible by way of the jump mechanic. Now, I wouldn't advise for these abilities to be made standard for arena game-play, but to have them in campaign, for customs, and perhaps a new warzone environment. As long as matches can maintain even balanced starts with a clearly defined set of abilities for all I'm okay with some advances on the integrated thruster concept.
MorseyBaby wrote:
gluecarton wrote:
Yeah, I probably shouldn't of made this question a poll as everyone has their own personal preferences.

I personally dislike clamber as it makes it takes a lot of the skill away from precise platforming, and leaves more room for mistakes. But I can see why people would want it.
gluecarton wrote:
MorseyBaby wrote:
gluecarton wrote:
Yeah, I probably shouldn't of made this question a poll as everyone has their own personal preferences.

I personally dislike clamber as it makes it takes a lot of the skill away from precise platforming, and leaves more room for mistakes. But I can see why people would want it.
If you remove clamber you need crouch jumping to return
MorseyBaby wrote:
gluecarton wrote:
MorseyBaby wrote:
gluecarton wrote:

Pro Tip: Crouch Jumping never left.
eLantern wrote:
MorseyBaby wrote:
gluecarton wrote:
MorseyBaby wrote:
gluecarton wrote:

Pro Tip: Crouch Jumping never left.
That just made my day
I chose advanced movement without sprinting as I want no sprint but keep thrusters and clamber.
I am of the opinion that using classic movement with no sprint can grant false clear times for campaign and allow the creators to make a much smaller campaign that takes longer to complete. Or even a normal sized campaign length in terms of distance can be made longer by disallowing sprinting.

I also like playing old campaigns through MCC and I constantly hear myself say 'OMG, LET ME RUN, IT'S 2019, WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY!' The massive open areas of early Halos felt grander because of the time it takes to move, even though a good majority of the level is empty space.

Newer Halos have about the same amount of space, but more things to do in that space, so the quick movement keeps you focused on the task rather than slowing you down.

I think Halo 5 has evolved movement appropriately. It's more realistic and I just don't feel like a BA anymore when I'm incapable of running at high speeds like a Spartan should be able to do. 'I AM THE MASTER CHIEF' and the Master Chief is a beast who can run, not just crawl through a campaign.

In the end, I chose Halo 5 movement. Though, I would accept sprinting only, the thrusters are very cool, but I feel are less necessary than being able to run. Clambering is good, please keep that.
I wouldn’t mind classic movement with the addition of clamber, but we’re going to be on 5 years of advanced movement by the time Infinite launches so having the old movement system back would be a breath of fresh air.
There is no way to make everyone happy, if they take the abilities away from 5, then the fans gained by halo 5 might leave. If they keep what halo 5 did, a lot of classic fans will still be upset and more will leave. If they meet in the middle and get rid of certain abilities then old and new fans will both be upset. This is why they haven't shown gameplay, hopefully a large majority end up liking infinite's gameplay, otherwise the whole games relying on how good the campaign is.
Recon494 wrote:
There is no way to make everyone happy, if they take the abilities away from 5, then the fans gained by halo 5 might leave. If they keep what halo 5 did, a lot of classic fans will still be upset and more will leave. If they meet in the middle and get rid of certain abilities then old and new fans will both be upset. This is why they haven't shown gameplay, hopefully a large majority end up liking infinite's gameplay, otherwise the whole games relying on how good the campaign is.
I think 343i are relying on a lot of things, but the real question have they sufficiently corrected course? Then the proper reply is what heading would that be? For me the H5 movement wasn't that bad, it was the Req system (and yes it did ruin the game to include arena). The spartan abilities just made me feel like it became less of a shooter and more of a psudo-1stPerson, brawler of sorts where Spartan Abilities does more damage than bullets. I know it is a classic criticism where hitting someone with the assault rifle does more damage than the bullets that come out of it but at least I had to shoot them before I got that close (unless I was able to get them from behind).

I posted a different type of spectrum of what defines classic and what defines advance. On one hand you got the only thing is crouch and jump but don't jump off of something too high or you will take damage (Halo CE), to the classic where there is no fall damage (which is replaced by falling through the kill plane in the map) to the movement enhancement items (Reach armor abilities) which was tied to an inventory system to the actual enhance movement which was now part of the movement set (H4 sprint) and not in need of any power up or item.
I want to be able to sprint, and mount onto surfaces and ledges. No spartan charge or ground pound.
Halo 5 had great movement for multiplayer but, I also love Halo 2 so I'm in between.
I want to be able to sprint, and mount onto surfaces and ledges. No spartan charge or ground pound.
Pretty much what I want. Was never a fan of the offensive abilities. Halo will always be more about the gunplay to me.

I want the base movement speed to be fast enough so you don't even need to sprint on smaller maps, but give players the option to sprint so navigating larger maps isn't a hassle.
It is amazing how well classic movement works and sad just how far away from it the series has gone. Halo never needed sprint or clamber.
gluecarton wrote:
Movement in infinite?
ADVANCED MOVEMENT W/O SPRINTING 4%
And here's why: the cheif, if you've read the books is quick, light on his feet and the armor is advanced alowing his movements to be greater than any opponent. Although it depends where he's at in his storyline, if he's had a chance to swap armor or get upgrades, or what not. It depemds how they tell the story. If they make it make sense then great.

And no sprinting bc he already moves faster than the normal human by a great amount.

And it also ruins some multi player maps, or maybe in those matches the armor is im training mode amd is not powered up for advanced movements
I want sprint and clamber back. I hate how everyone likes the classic mechanics even though they're outdated. So what if your favorite mechanics are gone? Deal with it ffs! People should evolve and learn how to use new things. And besides, new kids that are new to Halo would hate it if there was no sprint.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3