Plasma Rifle or Storm Rifle

OP HamCon55

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2

Plasma Rifle or Storm Rifle

Make Your Selection:

Ever since 343 changed the Plasma Rifle to the Storm Rifle, I have been conflicted on which one looks better.

I like how the Plamsa Rifle looks like a bigger version of the Plasma Pistol, but the storm rifle does give a better look of an automatic rifle so it is easier to figure out what it is. Yet the Plasma rifle has a simple design that is easy to remember unlike the Storm Rifle, but I will give that they do both look like they were made by a race of aliens to figure out how all of them could handle it well.
Plasma rifle wins for me. It felt more like a Covenant weapon that shot out searing hot plasma bolts. The storm rifle felt more like a re-skinned assault rifle that shot out little bolts of energy, not unlike the kinetic projectiles that humans use. It's aesthetic also just felt more alien than a storm rifle.
Plasma rifle is my choice. It is an iconic design and has a very alien feel, while the storm rifle comes across as a bit too generic for me.
Plasma rifle as well. It feels like a weapon the covenant would design, similar to the plasma gun, it has that little bit of energy passing through the ends when not shooting its pretty cool. The storm rifle just seems like a more human assault rifle than something aliens would use. Not sure if this post makes much sense but its just my opinion.
For me it's the classic Plasma Rifle too. The design always reminded me of a ferocious beast ready to attack, the Storm Rifle looks like the Carbine.
The plasma rifle looks better but I might be a little biased because I like the older games, lol
Definitely plasma rifle, it simply seemed to be more alien type weaponry in a way that it had unusual design while functioning rather a lot like assault rifle.

Dont really know why it was changed to something like storm rifle or plasma repeater for it was yet another design resembling assault rifle (the actual weapon category, not the Halo weapon), only it was plasma counterpart of that.
I didn't even know the plasma and storm rifles were the same weapon.
I picked the plasma rifle because it looked more graceful in my opinion, it was smaller and perfect for dual wielding, something that we sadly don't see in halo 4 & 5.
Hahahah no one likes the storm rifle.
its a pretty hard decision but I'd have to say that the storm rifle looks better
Plasma Repeater
Seriously the venting mechanic works for covenant energy weapons. The Storm rifle was an abomination. Keep it in if you want but do not forget the plasma Repeater.
Plasma rifle wins for me. It felt more like a Covenant weapon that shot out searing hot plasma bolts. The storm rifle felt more like a re-skinned assault rifle that shot out little bolts of energy, not unlike the kinetic projectiles that humans use. It's aesthetic also just felt more alien than a storm rifle.
First post gets it. The storm rifle was not needed. Too many run and spray weapons defiling the halo sandbox. That and ADS... Eww no.
Plasma rife, no contest boiiis
Both are vile weapons.
I don't know why they took away the plasma rifle. The storm rifle is pretty cool too, I guess. In Halo 5, the 'Scale of Soriapt' is beast.
Plasma rifle all the way.
Definitely plasma rifle, it simply seemed to be more alien type weaponry in a way that it had unusual design while functioning rather a lot like assault rifle.

Dont really know why it was changed to something like storm rifle or plasma repeater for it was yet another design resembling assault rifle (the actual weapon category, not the Halo weapon), only it was plasma counterpart of that.
While I agree, I actually think the plasma rifle design itself started to look a little too much like the AR (not just the Repeater or Storm Rifle). This is easiest to see if you play Halo CEA in classic mode and then switch to Anniversary mode. You should see exactly what I mean. The Reach plasma rifle is no longer the vibrant blue it used to be. Instead, it's darker and duller in colour, making it closer to the greys of the UNSC. The hieroglyphic gauge on the side of the plasma rifle has been shrunk and is now obsolete due to the triangular display that now sits on the top. The grey area has been flattened and sharpened to appear more like the back half of an AR. It's really the Reach plasma rifle that started this trend that the Storm Rifle followed of looking more like a UNSC AR.

While I agree, I actually think the plasma rifle design itself started to look a little too much like the AR (not just the Repeater or Storm Rifle). This is easiest to see if you play Halo CEA in classic mode and then switch to Anniversary mode. You should see exactly what I mean. The Reach plasma rifle is no longer the vibrant blue it used to be. Instead, it's darker and duller in colour, making it closer to the greys of the UNSC. The hieroglyphic gauge on the side of the plasma rifle has been shrunk and is now obsolete due to the triangular display that now sits on the top. The grey area has been flattened and sharpened to appear more like the back half of an AR. It's really the Reach plasma rifle that started this trend that the Storm Rifle followed of looking more like a UNSC AR.
And it's one of the many trends Halo Reach started that were taken beyond that later on. Though im not sure why it was decided that repeating plasma weaponry should go towards the direction it was taken instead of trying to take a step back and rethink the direction.

From many covenant designs (not everything but in larger numbers) Halo Reach really was the first one I really disliked artstyle wise.
And I did mention the plasma repeater which was the first assault rifle (weapon class, not the singular weapon) type repeating plasma weapon by overall shape & design. While storm rifle brought that design closer to Halo AR from the first person view.

So the starting point was definitely Halo Reach but what matters more is that what will happen with the design in Infinite.

And it's one of the many trends Halo Reach started that were taken beyond that later on. Though im not sure why it was decided that repeating plasma weaponry should go towards the direction it was taken instead of trying to take a step back and rethink the direction.

From many covenant designs (not everything but in larger numbers) Halo Reach really was the first one I really disliked artstyle wise.
And I did mention the plasma repeater which was the first assault rifle (weapon class, not the singular weapon) type repeating plasma weapon by overall shape & design. While storm rifle brought that design closer to Halo AR from the first person view.

So the starting point was definitely Halo Reach but what matters more is that what will happen with the design in Infinite.
Yeah. Agreed. Neither the Storm Rifle nor Plasma Repeater really feel like plasma weapons, and in regards to the Reach's art style, they really didn't need to add all those extra pieces and details. For example, why does the Plasma Pistol now have a sight on top? The Grunts, Jackals and Elites clearly aren't using the sight. Did they just put it on there to help the humans out? I like many elements of Reach's art design, but I think Bungie got a little too excited about the extra polygons they could make. Just because you can add more pieces to a weapon or unit doesn't mean you should.
I imagine Infinite will continue some of the negative trends Reach started, but at the same time, they're clearly starting to tone things down a bit from the direction they ended up in with Halo 5. For now, I'm going to take that as a win.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2