Forums / Community / Poll Discussions

Should 343 Eliminate Win/Loss Criteria for MM Rank

OP cicconmr00

Should we eliminate Win/Loss's affect on MM Rank

Make Your Selection:

I don't know if this poll has been done before, but pretty much the only complaints people have about the Ranking process in Halo 5 is that it is too sensitive to winning and losing, and that winning and losing does not really reflect your individual skill.

As someone who plays almost exclusively as a single, the answer is clear to me. My thoughts is we should do one season as an experiment to see what people think.

Benefits in my view are:

1. You eliminate the affect quitters have on the game. Right now in my opinion quitters have a massive negative affect on CSR because people tend to quit when their team is losing a lot or they are purposefully trying to drop rank. Since this now means the losing team can not really drop CSR and the winning team can not really gain CSR, the losing team is disproportionately propped up and the winning team is disproportionately held down. There's not reason to me why a team that loses 3 on 4 after someone quits because they are down 10-15 kills should deserve a bail out.
  2. You eliminate the affect derankers have on a game. This is rarer than I recall from other games, but if someone wants to de-rank now they only screw them selves, and hopefully the system can detect a trend in suicides and betrayals to ban this person, along with player feedback.
  3. You eliminate the affect of bad players playing on another persons account can have on a game, and vice versa.
  4. You eliminate the affect of just having bad teammates
  5. It will eliminate what seems like 50-60% of the complaints in Match Making Feedback about Halo 5
I'd love to hear people that vote not to eliminate win/loss as to why they think it should be that way. At the end of the day for most people who play this game for fun Halo is an individual, single person shooter game. People want to play team games and have a ranking system that values the person for their contribution to the team, win or loss.

I don't see how this could result in anything but a more fair CSR universe.
Maybe it could have more effect on clan/party specific playlists if those could be made separate.

Otherwise, team based modes with randoms could be made into social playlists whereas solo focused modes could be ranked with winning/losing having an effect on the rank.

If party/clan teams could be separated from teams consisted of randoms the matches could become more balanced.

So in that sense w/l could have an effect on certain gamemodes but not in all of them if that makes sense.
Rank system based on win/loss in competitive playlists, while casual playlists can just have a progression system. I think that's fair
I completely agree with your reasoning and entirely sympathise as I find myself in your shoes, but disagree with the conclusions:

I think there's too much focus on being on a winning team but you also can't eliminate it entirely: tweak yes, eliminate: no
I agree. Don’t wanna toot my own horn but I’m gonna toot it, I’m pretty dang good at SWAT. It’s literally the only ranked game mode I’m good at. And I loathe when I’m the only one who wants to see a game through to the end. Everyone is gone except me, so I’m getting pulverized when my skill level is pretty good. The other annoying scenario is when I’m playing, and half the team is trying to get kills, and the others are just derping around.

And I don’t feel like that only when everyone quits on me. I feel horrible when my team is pummeling the enemy team when it consists of one person.

Absolutely we should burn that.

Why so many votes for no my dudes?
Rank system based on win/loss in competitive playlists, while casual playlists can just have a progression system. I think that's fair
Please let me know what you think makes this fair?

Would you work for a company that had 4 people and 3 of those people did absolutely nothing and you did everything ?

Were you paid by 343 for this response, I mean it makes not practical logical sense.....
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not bump.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
cicconmr00 wrote:
Honestly I really think 343 is telling everyone (meaning their employees and moderators) to respond no to this. There's just no way this poll is accurate, all anybody does on this website is complain about things that would be absolved under a system that had no W/L basis.
Just because a poll isn't swinging in the favor you want doesn't mean it isn't accurate, it's also patently false that 343 are telling anyone to vote on this. Current rankings run on more than just W/L and removing that in favor of promoting individual stats won't help - all it will do is encourage state padding and love wolfing. Probably worth reading through some of the Matchmaking Feedback topics for the commentary by Dr. Menke: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/58b8518e005f432381ab99fbcaf931e0/topics/matchmaking-feedback-archive/1e3930f4-df85-440d-ab4f-d265d3e4ad31/posts.

Funnily enough he was actually on the Social stream last night talking about the ranking system, MMR and how everything gets calculated. This is worth a watch: https://mixer.com/Halo?vod=94103700
Maybe make it less important but don't get rid of it entirely.
cicconmr00 wrote:
Please let me know what you think makes this fair?

Would you work for a company that had 4 people and 3 of those people did absolutely nothing and you did everything ?

Were you paid by 343 for this response, I mean it makes not practical logical sense.....
Lol, if you knew me, you'd know I was never 343i's biggest fan, but it just makes the most sense. In Halo 3, we had ranked playlists in competitive. Don't be mad because I want some return to form.
I feel that ranks should be based on skill, not wins. It's like being Onyx or Champ in Halo 5; if you carried the entire team on your back and still lost, the game will see that you're still good and raise your rank.
It should be based on k/d and objectives plays