Forums / Community / Poll Discussions

Should Every Spartan (001-150) be named?

OP Tyler G175

I say this so there could be no "non-canons."

Make Your Selection:

Nah. I like keeping it open ended. Each unnamed Spartan is an opportunity for some 343 writing staff in the future to create a brand new story about them. Naming them all now might constrain that potential creativity.
Nah. I like keeping it open ended. Each unnamed Spartan is an opportunity for some 343 writing staff in the future to create a brand new story about them. Naming them all now might constrain that potential creativity.
That is true, but they can do that even if all the Spartans are named.
Tyler G175 wrote:
I mean yes and no. Yes in the sense that they can simply produce a roster of names and then create stories from that list. But no in the sense that they can't just release a list of names. They would have to at the very least come up with a gender, race, birth planet, and short bio for each to justify making the list in the first place. That is what I was referring to when I said that future writers would be constrained creatively.

It's not that I don't want a full roster for the Spartan-II class. That would be awesome. But I understand that there are serious implications for the lore if 343 explicitly identifies all the candidates.
Tyler G175 wrote:
I mean yes and no. Yes in the sense that they can simply produce a roster of names and then create stories from that list. But no in the sense that they can't just release a list of names. They would have to at the very least come up with a gender, race, birth planet, and short bio for each to justify making the list in the first place. That is what I was referring to when I said that future writers would be constrained creatively.

It's not that I don't want a full roster for the Spartan-II class. That would be awesome. But I understand that there are serious implications for the lore if 343 explicitly identifies all the candidates.
I see where you are coming from, but there is a potential problem with that. Let's say there are two halo novel writers right, one (A) of them refers to, lets say, "Spartan-048" as a female and the other writer (B) calls it "Henry-048." They is where the problem arises. If Writer B never read Writer A's book--or vise versa--they whole storyline is gone to mush. By creating a list of all the Spartan-II's right now, that problem will go away.

I do see, however, that that can cause some problems too like you said. Their bios will be very short and have little detail. I suggest to solve both of these problems, they introduce them one-by-one instead of all at once. This gives writers time to make up a story for them and 343 time to develop the character.
Tyler G175 wrote:
Tyler G175 wrote:

I see where you are coming from, but there is a potential problem with that. Let's say there are two halo novel writers right, one (A) of them refers to, lets say, "Spartan-048" as a female and the other writer (B) calls it "Henry-048." They is where the problem arises. If Writer B never read Writer A's book--or vise versa--they whole storyline is gone to mush. By creating a list of all the Spartan-II's right now, that problem will go away.

I do see, however, that that can cause some problems too like you said. Their bios will be very short and have little detail. I suggest to solve both of these problems, they introduce them one-by-one instead of all at once. This gives writers time to make up a story for them and 343 time to develop the character.
Well I would find it highly unlikely that Writer B didn't read or at least get briefed on Writer A's work. I'm not a published writer, but I would assume that when a company commissions multiple books from multiple authors about a single subject, they will have editors and other staff who check through and make sure the story doesn't break established canon. So I don't think that's really ever been a problem, but I could be wrong.

But to go back to my original point, at the end of the day, the more you establish in a universe, the less flexibility you have going forward. We can never go back and change the name of the colony Reach. We can never say the PoA was actually a Punic-class supercarrier. While these two examples are not controversial and don't have a reason to be changed, other things like a Spartan roster can present real challenges in the future for creating new stories.
More unnamed Spartans = more room for creativity.
All spartan 2s. Yes
All spartan 3s. No
I wouldn’t say 001-150, I would like to know all of the 75 SPARTAN-II candidates that actually went through training.
Of course names make it personal and hit home more.Mystery is nice but it's more of a connection with names.
Tyler G175 wrote:
If you canonify everything (a la Star Wars) you just tie yourselves up in knots in the long run and leave yourselves no room for further development. Only make canon what you need to when you need to
The less we know the more 343 can be creative