1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
The ranks show who participates in the community more than others
The ranks show who participates in the community more than others
kind of, to the forums at least. There are spartan ranking members that havent completed even the campaigns of older Halos. And the participation could be simply commenting everywhere without even thinking what they write.
TomoK12 wrote:
EmiDidact wrote:
TomoK12 wrote:
EmiDidact wrote:
My only complaint about ranks is the hassle of how long it takes for you to reach them. But then again the argument against that may be that it would be too fast for everyone to reach the highest.

So perhaps I'd say keep em for now. I for one think I'll never make it to Spartan because there's almost no place for me to post here anymore because there's almost nothing good I have to say in regards to where the games have gone and plus the OT thread is once again gone.
I feel ya. I would never be a Spartan if I wasn't here during the pre-Halo 4 days.

OT: I don't think ranks should be removed. They're harmless and fun, but there is room for improvement.
True, if I started coming here during the glory days then maybe I would have been there by now. But I just wanna get to the rank that unlocks me a certain avatar that some members already have....I'm eating my heart out. How dare it not be available to me until I get to whatever rank it is at!
Oh I didn't realise there were benefits to being a Spartan. What avatars do you unlock?
I have no idea, maybe it's all randomized but I have glimpsed a few Spartan ranked members with a Didact avatar. It will be MINE or it will.....BURN. (hahaha sorry! But if anyone recognizes that reference, then I shall salute you the way a Warrior-Servant does.)
EmiDidact wrote:
TomoK12 wrote:
EmiDidact wrote:
TomoK12 wrote:
EmiDidact wrote:
My only complaint about ranks is the hassle of how long it takes for you to reach them. But then again the argument against that may be that it would be too fast for everyone to reach the highest.

So perhaps I'd say keep em for now. I for one think I'll never make it to Spartan because there's almost no place for me to post here anymore because there's almost nothing good I have to say in regards to where the games have gone and plus the OT thread is once again gone.
I feel ya. I would never be a Spartan if I wasn't here during the pre-Halo 4 days.

OT: I don't think ranks should be removed. They're harmless and fun, but there is room for improvement.
True, if I started coming here during the glory days then maybe I would have been there by now. But I just wanna get to the rank that unlocks me a certain avatar that some members already have....I'm eating my heart out. How dare it not be available to me until I get to whatever rank it is at!
Oh I didn't realise there were benefits to being a Spartan. What avatars do you unlock?
I have no idea, maybe it's all randomized but I have glimpsed a few Spartan ranked members with a Didact avatar. It will be MINE or it will.....BURN. (hahaha sorry!)
well, good luck reaching at least 6000 posts then. I really hope you wont start spamming on every thread to achieve that. Though i believe you wont.
EmiDidact wrote:
TomoK12 wrote:
EmiDidact wrote:
TomoK12 wrote:
EmiDidact wrote:

I have no idea, maybe it's all randomized but I have glimpsed a few Spartan ranked members with a Didact avatar. It will be MINE or it will.....BURN. (hahaha sorry!)
well, good luck reaching at least 6000 posts then. I really hope you wont start spamming on every thread to achieve that. Though i believe you wont.
Nah, you don't have to worry about that, I'm no spammer. Spamming is for primitives.
Nah I say keep them. They encourage activity.
No, I'm happy with them. I like a sense of progression as you climb the ranks (plus I like how you go from Marine, to ODST, to Spartan)
I like the idea of forum ranks. I don't see the spam/short posting as being that much of a nuisance. I just see the forum ranks as a little perk for the members. I don't think very many people would leave the forums due solely to rank either. Sometimes people just don't have much to say.
I made a thread to get to my marine rank a few weeks ago but other than that I have never seen much of anyone making short little posts.
I think there is a lot of value in the Forum Ranks the way they are. I never used to care or give them much consideration, but recently I've been participating more in a vast array of threads. Not only do I get rewarded by climbing the Forum Ranks, but the community also benefits by having another member positively contribute to the topics that matter to them. As far as posts with no value go, that's what we have Monitors and Community Leaders for. I've been surfing around the Waypoint Forums for a little bit now, and what has surprised me most is actually seeing how active the Monitors are in the Forums. It's pretty impressive when you think about how large the community is. Big thanks to all those 343 appointed community forum caretakers that volunteer their time for the benefit of all us. I hope someday I'll be invited into the ranks of Forum Monitor. I'd be honored to give back to the community that has given me so much in the last 15 years.
I really like the idea however I would like elite ranks instead of spartan ranks which will be pretty cool.
This is a genius at work! Join me brother, we shall overthrow this human heresy!
I really like the idea however I would like elite ranks instead of spartan ranks which will be pretty cool.
This is a genius at work! Join me brother, we shall overthrow this human heresy!
We will end them brother and win this war.
No keep them,there is nothing wrong with them, it keeps people coming back to waypoint to increase their rank by clicking on posts like this.
I think forum ranks gives people motive to post, and the posts that are spam are removed by a moderator.
I think forum ranks gives people motive to post, and the posts that are spam are removed by a moderator.
That is so true! I say keep the Forum ranks! Not that it was ever on the line or anything, I just think it's viable to keep something that's working, working.
Buuuuuuuut in the mean time, could we have some covenant ranks? ah? ah? :D
AW come on those'd be awesome, hahahha!
That is so true! I say keep the Forum ranks! Not that it was ever on the line or anything, I just think it's viable to keep something that's working, working.
Buuuuuuuut in the mean time, could we have some covenant ranks? ah? ah? :D
AW come on those'd be awesome, hahahha!
from doing what? It should be something that doesnt increase spamming. Like time being a member of waypoint or gamerscore?
Most spam does get caught by the Monitors. However, some of it does slip through the cracks. And the thing is, even if spam gets moderated, the spammers post count doesn't go down. If a spammer spams 12 posts in a row, and all of them get locked by mods, that spammers post count will still have gone up by 12.
Ultimately, too much spam gets spammers a temp ban on their account, and that is the only thing that keeps them from upping their post count. But the motive to post shouldn't be to increase forum rank. It should be to contribute to interesting conversation. Look at Bungie.net; no forum ranks there, but every subforum is pretty popular. People post just to join or start discussions (excluding trolls and other such nonsense).
Chimera30 wrote:
Most spam does get caught by the Monitors. However, some of it does slip through the cracks. And the thing is, even if spam gets moderated, the spammers post count doesn't go down. If a spammer spams 12 posts in a row, and all of them get locked by mods, that spammers post count will still have gone up by 12.
Ultimately, too much spam gets spammers a temp ban on their account, and that is the only thing that keeps them from upping their post count. But the motive to post shouldn't be to increase forum rank. It should be to contribute to interesting conversation. Look at Bungie.net; no forum ranks there, but every subforum is pretty popular. People post just to join or start discussions (excluding trolls and other such nonsense).
this guy gets it. The people really should post from joy of posting or to give feedback of the things that matter to them or even post to contribute to conversation. The raising of forum rank shouldnt be the thing that makes people post. If that is what keeps these forums alive, then thats really just sad.
Chimera30 wrote:
this guy gets it. The people really should post from joy of posting or to give feedback of the things that matter to them or even post to contribute to conversation. The raising of forum rank shouldnt be the thing that makes people post. If that is what keeps these forums alive, then thats really just sad.
I think if the post count goes down a rank if something of what you post is removed. Currently you can only post 10 times a day. I think that if we make the post number unlimited per day but make it so that you can only have 5 posts count to your rank that would reduce spam. I personally look at forum rank to help me determine if the person knows what their talking about.
Chimera30 wrote:
I think if the post count goes down a rank if something of what you post is removed. Currently you can only post 10 times a day. I think that if we make the post number unlimited per day but make it so that you can only have 5 posts count to your rank that would reduce spam. I personally look at forum rank to help me determine if the person knows what their talking about.
the post-limit raises with ranks, and do you really determine whether the commenter knows what they are talking about from what rank the writer has rather than what is actually in the post? And i really dont think that limiting forum posting is the best way to remove spamming. Instead i think cutting the source and reason for spamming is the best way to reduce the number of spams but that might just be me and according to the poll, a few others.
Chimera30 wrote:
the post-limit raises with ranks, and do you really determine whether the commenter knows what they are talking about from what rank the writer has rather than what is actually in the post? And i really dont think that limiting forum posting is the best way to remove spamming. Instead i think cutting the source and reason for spamming is the best way to reduce the number of spams but that might just be me and according to the poll, a few others.
I do not just base it off of forum rank, but that is apart of it. What I was suggesting is that you can post as much as you want, but only 5 (this number is an example) of those posts a day are counted toward your rank.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4