Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Poll Discussions

Should I give up on Halo?

OP God Hokage14

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
It's just, Halo has been my favorite game ever since I was a little kid back in Massachusetts. I loved it the first moment I played it. I didn't understand anything but shoot this and punch that. It was excellent. Time went by. As I aged, so did Halo and my love for it. Halo 3 really hooked me. I remember sitting in my room on the floor criss cross playing co-op with my older brother. I remember the joy I felt from being a Sangheili. Halo 3:ODST had good gameplay and a dope sound track. The mythic map pack really interested me. Then Halo Reach zoomed all the way to 2nd best, after Halo 3. Halo 4 came around, Bungie disappeared and 343 emerged. I lost my Elite in Halo 4. Although, I still bought it too support Halo. Firefight also vanished. Sadness swept over me. I'm not trying to sound like a weirdo, but I literally cried when my Elite was gone. I still stayed positive though, or at least tried to. Then... Halo 5. It hasn't been released yet, but I already know much about it. Elites... no, split screen... no, firefight... no, Invasion... no... sigh. I am trying to remain optimistic and support Halo and 343, but what I love about Halo is vanishing. I'm not trying to be a hater or some Bungie-geek, but what do I do? I really can't imagine life without Halo, but I don't recognize it as Halo that much anymore. I'm so conflicted. Call of duty is fun, but it's no Halo, and it never will be. Neither will Battlefield. Every time 343 removes a feature, or adds a very strange one, I cringe. It's just, what should I do? I really don't want the game I've loved for years to die, or to become uninteresting. I love this franchise to death. Please, help me. Anyone.
I appreciate your concerns, but the game isn't out for another three weeks. Add to that nobody can realistically tell you what you should do.

Anything anyone tells you to do would be based on their own opinion of a game that hasn't really seen the light of day as yet.

There are a lot of changes between Halo of old and Halo 5 - you've listed those that you feel are detrimental specifically to your view of Halo. I should add that there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, these are your opinions and therefore perfectly valid.

Having said that I would suggest that you hold off on judging the game until you've played it. It may be that you find elements of it great fun and therefore something you want to continue with.

This is, however, my opinion of what you could do (not what you should do).
It's up to you, what you wanna do
It's up to you, what you wanna do
Idk what to do.
This answer is gonna sound weird, but here we go. When you love something, and you believe it's worth fighting for, then fight for it. I'm getting the vibe that you're starting to get depressed by all the changes being made. I remember the first time I played Halo. I was pretty young, and it was the first video game I had ever played. It was back in 2003 and I got Halo: Combat Evolved. Whenever I beat the game, I'd run around the house incredibly happy (Even though it was only on Easy). Not long after, Halo 2 came around and brought in even more memories. I played the campaign for hours. Probably days worth of time passed by as I played Halo 2. When 2007 came around, my Xbox sadly turned off for the last time. That was that. My parents had seen my obsession with Halo, and denied me any access to any newer versions of it. I still managed to try out every Halo game that came out whenever I had the opportunity. Eventually I managed to gain an Xbox 360 in 2012 just in time for Halo 4. I was so excited and hyped up to play one of the newest and most anticipated games of the year. I slid the disc in and began to play the campaign, but I began to get confused. Why weren't the grunts making their little quirky quips whenever a comrade got shot or killed? Why weren't the elites chasing me down calling me demon? Why could I no longer carry two weapons at the same time? So I played on. "It's just the first mission," I told myself. I moved on. By the second mission, I saw the Warthog and my hopes began to rise. Perhaps Halo 4 was going to be what I had hoped for starting now! This was where I was going to start kicking butt, while looking good in new amazing graphics! This was where things were about to get real! But as I drove on in my new warthog, there was nothing but disappointment. There was no huge battle to drive into the middle of. It was just blank. It kept on going. Until finally I sat there watching the credits of the game roll by. I played Matchma- I mean War Games to try and find comfort. There was nothing. It felt empty. The maps.... they looked hideous. Forge was tasteless. It was all... wrong. I don't feel like anything will get better with Halo 5. So don't give up. Never give up on anything you love. Fight for Halo. But don't support what 343 is giving us right now. Tell them no. Don't just show them that you'll buy any game they'll fart out just because it has Halo in the title. Fight to bring Halo back to its roots. Definitely, don't ever give up on something you love. Especially if it's worth fighting for.
Good advice. Thank you so much for it. I will keep fighting for Halo, my favorite franchise, haven of so many memories. I certainly will not stand for 343's failures either. Thanks for the advice man.
Good advice. Thank you so much for it. I will keep fighting for Halo, my favorite franchise, haven of so many memories. I certainly will not stand for 343's failures either. Thanks for the advice man.
No problem!
wait until the end of halo 6
I'd recommend you to not give up on Halo. We can suggest you what to do...but it's your choice when it comes out of what are you gonna do.
I'd recommend you to not give up on Halo. We can suggest you what to do...but it's your choice when it comes out of what are you gonna do.
Thanks. Good words.
Wait and see. If it sucks, you're none the wiser.
Halo 5 is changing in a lot of ways, see if you like it and if not then you should give it up because its just going to be more like that. 343 aren't planning on making a new Halo with Halo 3 mechanics.
It's the way of a perpetual franchise that we judge each property by the last one, or by our personal favorite. My advice is to avoid that trap. Take each game on its own and at face value. If you don't then you'll just end up hating every new version and wishing away the present and the future by pining for what you had in the past and can no longer have. Case in point: Halo 4 was a solid game (btw, when you lamented the loss of firefight I had to wonder if you'd ever heard of a little thing called Spartan Ops???) but most people played it for three weeks and got really wound up about all the things that were missing and things which had been added that required them to re-learn the game. Net result: a huge majority of players left a really great game behind because all they could see was something that wasn't "Halo 3 + new maps." If "Halo 3 + new maps" is all that you want then that's okay. That's why we have MCC and Halo Online. But if you're curious to see where the future is going to take the franchise then you have to let go of some of the past and keep and open mind.
Never Give up .
No way Bro!
Thanks. Good words.
No problem, buddy. We Spartans help each other.
Well, I just heard from Facebook that Thel 'Vadam, aka the Arbiter, is a likely character to be killed off in Halo 5. Please 343, don't force me to give up on you.
Well, I just heard from Facebook that Thel 'Vadam, aka the Arbiter, is a likely character to be killed off in Halo 5. Please 343, don't force me to give up on you.
Yeah.... just because it's on the internet (Especially on facebook) doesn't mean it's true.

But I have a question for you. I've noticed you're a pretty big fan of elites, why is that? (Just curious)
Your decision. It's definitely a different game now; whether that fits your preferences now or not is totally up to you.
Yeah.... just because it's on the internet (Especially on facebook) doesn't mean it's true.

But I have a question for you. I've noticed you're a pretty big fan of elites, why is that? (Just curious)
I'm a huge t fan of Elites because they interest me more than Spartans and humanity in general; their lore, their feats, their characters, it's all amazing to me. I remember when I was younger, I was always an Elite when I could be. Whenever I played Halo 3 with my brother, I'd purposely be 2nd player just so I could be the Arbiter. Good memories that I'll always cherish. 343 took that away from me in Halo 4, which really made me feel like nothing. I was forced to be something I didn't want to be. It made me question whether or not 343 cared about me and so many others. Don't get me wrong, 343 has done awesome deeds, but their neglect of my favorite aspect of Halo multiplayer, it saddens me deeply. Halo 5 is confirmed not to resolve my problem, so I made this thread asking fellow fans whether or not I should give up on the game that grew up beside me. But, back to your question, Elites are what I see myself as in Halo. Show me a Fireteam of Spartans, and I'll be staring at the Sangheili in the background XD. Sigh. Elites are a part of who I am. Maybe you feel this way about Spartans? That should help you understand.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2