Forums / Community / Poll Discussions

Should Spartan abilities be completely removed?

OP HolyAngelRaziel

I see certain Halo fans claiming ALL Spartan abilities, not just sprint, should be removed altogether. Just returning to base slow movement of Halo 3.
Do you think this is right choice? Do you think this would bring back Halo fans or restore trust? Or would it rather damage franchise further?

IMO, I think 343i should keep refining it. I can see point about removal of sprint (I don't care that much about sprint. They can adjust base speed or find completely new middle ground between traditional movement and sprint. It looks like majority want sprint removed.) I honestly can't see point of removing clamber or especially, thruster pack. Thruster pack brings new level of skill. Removing clamber seems pointless as it would make gameplay look outdated and awkward.
No, the only reason people don't like the Spartan Abilities is because it makes them harder to kill than in any other Halo game. I personally love the Spartan Abilities because it provides a great defense and a better offense.
While I think that Spartan Abilities add an excellent dynamic to Halo, they must be toned down. I have said this so many times, but Spartan Charge absolutely needs a nerf, as in eliminating lock-on, reducing "aim-assist," counting it as a thrust, and reducing its range. Infinite sprint also needs to go, but other than those two things the Spartan Abilities are all right.
Yes, if Call of Duty can back to it old roots then I know Halo definitely can!
Well you all have to understand that Spartans are super soldiers. They can have unlimited sprint because their suit allows them to. The suit powers nearly everything. The only thing they did genetically to them was increase bone structure, allow them to see at night, and enhance their reflexes. The creators have done a great job updating the Spartans to where they are near complete.
Well you all have to understand that Spartans are super soldiers. They can have unlimited sprint because their suit allows them to. The suit powers nearly everything. The only thing they did genetically to them was increase bone structure, allow them to see at night, and enhance their reflexes. The creators have done a great job updating the Spartans to where they are near complete.
While I embrace canon so much, that is not all that there is to Halo. There is something called "gameplay," which makes the experience more enjoyable. Also, for the record, reducing the OP-ness of Spartan Charge does not hurt canon; it is just as realistic for Spartans to use skill to decimate their enemies.
While I embrace canon so much, that is not all that there is to Halo. There is something called "gameplay," which makes the experience more enjoyable. Also, for the record, reducing the OP-ness of Spartan Charge does not hurt canon; it is just as realistic for Spartans to use skill to decimate their enemies.
You have to use skill in every part of the multi. If you go anywhere and are under fire you would do anything to prevent death and take out as many enemies as possible. If anything Spartan abilities have made this game better.
You have to use skill in every part of the multi. If you go anywhere and are under fire you would do anything to prevent death and take out as many enemies as possible. If anything Spartan abilities have made this game better.
While I think that Spartan Abilities add an excellent dynamic to Halo, they must be toned down. I have said this so many times, but Spartan Charge absolutely needs a nerf, as in eliminating lock-on, reducing "aim-assist," counting it as a thrust, and reducing its range. Infinite sprint also needs to go, but other than those two things the Spartan Abilities are all right.
Like I said in my first post, the only two problems I have with Spartan Abilities are the infinite sprint and the OP-ness of Spartan Charge. In fact, I am in the minority of people who want Spartan Charge to stay, albeit with some changes.

When it comes to Spartan-vs-Spartan combat, I would agree that every part of the multiplayer takes skill. However, it obviously takes more skill to simultaneously strafe with LS, aim with RS, shoot with RS, and get that sweet perfect kill than it does to tap A, tap RB, then pull RT (I use Bumper Jumper, by the way). You do not even need to aim, strafe, or anything to use Spartan Charge. So, while it does take skill, it takes very little, and Halo is a game that should require more. By making the changes I mention above, it will become the more skillful shoulder-bash it was intended to be.
No, Im not the biggest fan of them but I can understand that newer games need to be faster pace for the youngsters can keep their attention span fixed to the game. If they got rid of them people would complain more, because they have already been introduced and it does make sense with the Halo lore.
just the Spartan charge. I think its kind of fun to use but not worth the pain.
I wouldn't say removed but maybe redone. try some different abilities. or preferably keep sprint (but slightly nerfed and not have infinite run time) and clamber only but add equipment from halo 3.
No, there's the Halo 3 playlist now for one. I feel like at this point if they took anything away it would lose them customers and players if anything. I like it the way it is now. The skill ceiling is higher than it's ever been. Plus it makes sense. You're a billion dollar super soldier and now it actually feels like it.
Yes, if Call of Duty can back to it old roots then I know Halo definitely can!
Agreed
I think "all" would be best, considering the backlash 343 got from them, but I think they should remain options for custom games. I, for one, really liked Spartan Abilities and would love to be able to use them in custom game lobbies, but I think the focus for Halo 6 should be built off of classic halo gameplay (specifically Halo 3 style gameplay). However, if 343i makes them a staple of the Halo 6 experience, I very much believe the game with sell even less units than Halo 5 did.

Unfortunately, I suspect the spartan abilities will return and hurt the franchise in the long run. I have no faith left in 343 and little faith that Halo will pull itself from the ashes unless a classic halo game is release VERY soon.
No, the only reason people don't like the Spartan Abilities is because it makes them harder to kill than in any other Halo game. I personally love the Spartan Abilities because it provides a great defense and a better offense.
No its because it is NOT HALO. Play titan fall if you want wall running, ability -Yoink-, get it out of halo. Completely changes Halo's core gameplay in which led halo to the top of the video game industry. Notice how Halo has started dying ever since the inclusion of sprint and armour abilities? Because it isn't HALO.
While I think that this is a good idea, I would also like a selection of Spartan Abilities to pick from. If at the req station, you could pick a set number of abilities, that would be amazing.
No its because it is NOT HALO. Play titan fall if you want wall running, ability -Yoink-, get it out of halo. Completely changes Halo's core gameplay in which led halo to the top of the video game industry. Notice how Halo has started dying ever since the inclusion of sprint and armour abilities? Because it isn't HALO.
I agree some should be taken away and others shouldn't but as the Halo Universe expands so do the games. As the Halo Universe gets more detailed, so do the games. I have played H5 recently and do think the unlimited sprint should be toned down. I even think some abilities should be picked up or changed in a loadout option menu like Halo Reach. But when the Fishing net gets bigger, the bigger your fish count is...
While I think that this is a good idea, I would also like a selection of Spartan Abilities to pick from. If at the req station, you could pick a set number of abilities, that would be amazing.
That is actually a really good idea, as long as the nerfs stay in place. Otherwise everybody would be choosing Spartan Charge and effectively eliminating the balanced Spartan Abilities.