Forums / Community / Poll Discussions

Should Spartan abilities stay for halo 6?

OP homerduff15

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 19
Remove sprint, increase BMS, remove Spartan charge, and find a way to get rid of ADS but still keep the little jet pack thing it does when you aim in mid air.
I think 343 should scrap everything except thruster pack, clamber, and maybe ground pound, then buff the movement speed up to Halo 2 levels or higher. Slide is pretty much useless in its current state due to the many alternatives to using it. I don't use clamber outside of Warzone,
You... you don't use clamber outside of Warzone?.... and slide is useless? I... I don't even know what to say this. And I'm not flaming or trying to be mean, I'm really just amazed/confused as to how you go about playing a typical game of arena.
I'm not the biggest fan of Spartan Abilities but am open to changes
I don't mind sprint or Spartan Charge, at all. Ground Pound is super annoying, though.
l000Flan k wrote:
They are all fine. It's funny that people complain because they die to certain abilities. "I'm bad at avoiding something so please remove it from the game"
I agree but i hate some of them because its a way to avoid gun fights like back in the Halo 3 days and reach days EVEN HALO 4
The only Spartan Ability that is at all worth keeping is Thrust. All the other ones are either completely superfluous (i.e. they only accomplish things that could be accomplished by other means that don't require separate mechanics) or are detrimental to gameplay, or both.
I said what I had to say about the noob charge but I do just want to go on record that I enjoy the rest of the abilities. I like the nerf to ground pounding they implemented. It may be a bit ridiculous on some maps (looking at you empire strongholds) but in general, it's not really that obnoxious and a good player is going to be able to dodge it most of the time. Thrust is cool. Helpful in 1v1s. Helpful for covering long distances. Helpful for long jumps. The nade dodging can be annoying but it's better than having a nade spam epidemic like we've seen in the past. I like the stabilizers (mostly for all the jumps it makes possible but it can also be useful when sniping). I like the clambering. Especially in areas where you can crouch jump instead because that's just another thing that contributes to the skill gap. A lesser player will clamber everything. A smart player will put in the time and figure out what can be crouch jumped and what must be clambered. I like the slide for charging in rooms and when chaining abilities to cover distances quickly. The ADS; I couldn't possibly care less. As for sprint, I honestly don't understand how people are still raging about this. I've been around halo since the launch of CE. I never felt the need for sprint but I was open to the idea when they were first showing it off in Reach. Well it was awful. And it was just as bad in H4. Mind you, for different reasons. But in my opinion, it's fine in H5. Furthermore, it's obvious that it's not going anywhere so why even waste your time. The base movement speed could be a hair faster (I'm talking 5-10% here) but really, sprint has been balanced.
The only one I find useful is thruster, but I still think it should go, because it breaks the flow of combat and allows an escape if you do something stupid that would get you killed in any other Halo.

They had to modify gameplay to fit in the other abilities.

Sprint: has no justifiable reason to be in the game, most would say that sprint is used to get around the map of faster, this is wrong the maps are longer than they would be if they didn't have Sprint to accommodate sprint. They had to change gameplay that has been around and worked since the first Halo, your Shields do not recharge while sprinting and I shouldn't have to explain to you how important Shields are in Halo.

Spartan charge: I really shouldn't even have to explain this one. Spartan charge allows for panic attacking, when you are running around the map recklessly you shouldn't be allowed to almost kill somebody with a push of a button.

Clamber: clambers another ability that effect how the game is married, each map has to be made with clamber in mind, because if they tried to make maps the way that used to claim her would be very rarely used on some maps.

Slide: Nobody uses slide.

Ground pound: Grand pound is yet another way to get easy kills especially on vertical Maps when you're not particularly interested in what's going on above you because you are being shot at from in front of you, ground pound is a distraction as far as I'm concerned, when I played I saw too many people trying to get ground pound kills when it could have just been and normal kill with little to no risk.

ADS: aiming down sights where do I begin? Aiming down sights modifies the game such a way that is entirely unnecessary. You can aim down sights with any weapon whether it's the assault rifle, the Needler, or even the gravity hammer and sword. Aiming down sights increases accuracy by decreasing bullet spread with most weapons, some weapons even gain abilities while aiming down sights, for instance with the gravity hammer when you ADS you have a range three times longer than what you normally would have and this encourages the use of the Gravity Hammer as a ranged weapons, which it is not.

Hover: honestly I don't even know why this ability is in the game, I never use it, I never see anyone else using it, and honestly I just feel like it's more of a disability, when I'm trying to aim at somebody while jumping and I stop and float in mid-air, it often leads to the players death.

When designing a video game you shouldn't ever force a future, if you have to build the game around certain features or even modify features already in the game to make them work, they shouldn't have been in the game in the first place.
Should include shield lockdown like in Reach
Should include shield lockdown like in Reach
Armor lock?
JLC4LIFE wrote:
Remove Spartan Charge keep the rest.
This... Should have been a choice in the poll because I think this is the most hated SA. Rest is fine, I love the thrusters
thrusters are the worst by far...they affect the gameplay way more then anything else...its all you see, all the time...its ridiculously abused
The only one I find useful is thruster, but I still think it should go, because it breaks the flow of combat and allows an escape if you do something stupid that would get you killed in any other Halo.

They had to modify gameplay to fit in the other abilities.

Sprint: has no justifiable reason to be in the game, most would say that sprint is used to get around the map of faster, this is wrong the maps are longer than they would be if they didn't have Sprint to accommodate sprint. They had to change gameplay that has been around and worked since the first Halo, your Shields do not recharge while sprinting and I shouldn't have to explain to you how important Shields are in Halo.

Spartan charge: I really shouldn't even have to explain this one. Spartan charge allows for panic attacking, when you are running around the map recklessly you shouldn't be allowed to almost kill somebody with a push of a button.

Clamber: clambers another ability that effect how the game is married, each map has to be made with clamber in mind, because if they tried to make maps the way that used to claim her would be very rarely used on some maps.

Slide: Nobody uses slide.

Ground pound: Grand pound is yet another way to get easy kills especially on vertical Maps when you're not particularly interested in what's going on above you because you are being shot at from in front of you, ground pound is a distraction as far as I'm concerned, when I played I saw too many people trying to get ground pound kills when it could have just been and normal kill with little to no risk.

ADS: aiming down sights where do I begin? Aiming down sights modifies the game such a way that is entirely unnecessary. You can aim down sights with any weapon whether it's the assault rifle, the Needler, or even the gravity hammer and sword. Aiming down sights increases accuracy by decreasing bullet spread with most weapons, some weapons even gain abilities while aiming down sights, for instance with the gravity hammer when you ADS you have a range three times longer than what you normally would have and this encourages the use of the Gravity Hammer as a ranged weapons, which it is not.

Hover: honestly I don't even know why this ability is in the game, I never use it, I never see anyone else using it, and honestly I just feel like it's more of a disability, when I'm trying to aim at somebody while jumping and I stop and float in mid-air, it often leads to the players death.

When designing a video game you shouldn't ever force a future, if you have to build the game around certain features or even modify features already in the game to make them work, they shouldn't have been in the game in the first place.
I say remove everything,keep halo unique,improve upon existing features according to community feedback without radically changing gameplay or core mechanics and stop copying other games like cod,destiny,titanfall.Because 343 continued the changed mechanics from Reach(they could have stayed classic halo)Halo to me is no longer unique in that sense.Only shields, and cause TTK is longer(communication is in this category<) separates it from the games i mentioned.I mostly prefer classic halo movement using strafe and I use thruster sometimes too etc but i dont like them even if i am coped with it.For halo 6 we should have classic halo movement by default in mm and custom games,put a social spartan abilities playlists in mm with a variety of community maps n gamemodes and maybe enable them in custom games."343 likes to change things just for the sake of changing things".If classic halo movement works,why change it in the first place?I sometimes think of games like csgo,a game that stays true to its core mechanics,imagine if it had sprint haha
I don't really get killed by the spartan charge although it doesn't bother me if it stays or goes,the other abilities are just fine.
Warfuntime wrote:
JLC4LIFE wrote:
Remove Spartan Charge keep the rest.
This... Should have been a choice in the poll because I think this is the most hated SA. Rest is fine, I love the thrusters
thrusters are the worst by far...they affect the gameplay way more then anything else...its all you see, all the time...its ridiculously abused
It had a skill gap to Halo and that is what differentiate the Gold from the Diamonds and above.
tsassi wrote:
The only Spartan Ability that is at all worth keeping is Thrust. All the other ones are either completely superfluous (i.e. they only accomplish things that could be accomplished by other means that don't require separate mechanics) or are detrimental to gameplay, or both.
Which doesn't necessarily excuse how thrust currently functions in halo 5. There needs to be a nerf in its distance covered so it's not essential to escaping engagements or even winning gunfights.
Remove spartan charge from existence and we're golden. That or nerf the ever loving -Yoink- out of it.

Bonus option: Put the -Yoinking!- motion tracker back to 20 something so we actually have time to react to the noob sprinting all around the map spartan charging everyone in the back.
Agreed, but by raising the radar to 20 meters, there's only be a 2 meter difference. I suggest a 25 meter radar.

OP, I'd like everything to stay except for spartan charge. I wouldn't be happy if sprint was removed (well actually, everyone would stop -Yoinking!- about sprint so it might make me a little happy) or any of the other abilities except thrust, but I would be fine with it in the long run. What I'm trying to say is, remove spartan charge, definitely keep thrust, and do whatever with the other abilities.

Edit: Spartan charge does have its merits though. Last week, I played BTB and got the game winning kill by spartan charging a moving ghost into oblivion. It was sooooooo satisfying.
TryHardFan wrote:
tsassi wrote:
The only Spartan Ability that is at all worth keeping is Thrust. All the other ones are either completely superfluous (i.e. they only accomplish things that could be accomplished by other means that don't require separate mechanics) or are detrimental to gameplay, or both.
Which doesn't necessarily excuse how thrust currently functions in halo 5. There needs to be a nerf in its distance covered so it's not essential to escaping engagements or even winning gunfights.
No way. Thrust is fine how it is. Nerfing it would make it practically useless. Thrust isn't essential at all to win gunfights.
TryHardFan wrote:
tsassi wrote:
The only Spartan Ability that is at all worth keeping is Thrust. All the other ones are either completely superfluous (i.e. they only accomplish things that could be accomplished by other means that don't require separate mechanics) or are detrimental to gameplay, or both.
Which doesn't necessarily excuse how thrust currently functions in halo 5. There needs to be a nerf in its distance covered so it's not essential to escaping engagements or even winning gunfights.
No way. Thrust is fine how it is. Nerfing it would make it practically useless. Thrust isn't essential at all to win gunfights.
You say that claim, yet you've probably never tried to play a full game without using thrust in a gunfight or even to maneuver the map. Even with a quick minute into the game without thrust, you'd most certainly notice that not only will you be moving slower than others from only using sprint (because thrust significantly carries the momentum of sprinting players for faster speed), but you'd be unable to escape a losing gunfight without thrust because your BMS isn't nearly fast enough to handily avoid an engagement (and you can't sprint either since you can be shot out of it without reaching terminal velocity).

On top of that, using thrust in an engagement is a severe advantage over someone who doesn't have theirs available because it provides a significant speed boost over BMS that can't be properly tracked with said BMS. So you have to use your aiming stick in order to efficiently track the thrusting opponent's movement, which we all know can be difficult even for pro players sometimes (and the bad aiming system in general doesn't help for some either). Overall, thrust is an extremely fundamental part of halo 5 for strafing, map maneuvering, and escaping disadvantageous gunfights, whether you readily observe that or not. There are no counters to a thrust in a gunfight except for one of your own, which does a lot to change the meta of 1v1s.

The biggest way to counter the power of thrust in a 1v1 is to increase BMS overall, so players can efficiently dodge shots without the use of thrust, and make the inability to shoot while thrusting more severe so players can gain an advantage over those who improperly thrust without needing to use their own thrust. In order to also nerf the ability to easily escape engagements with thrust, the distance covered should be reduced by at least 25%, which will also reduce the viability of thrust sliding as opposed to regular sprinting to traverse the map. Now thrust will be much more situational in its use than how it's currently implemented since it would be less effective for moving around, but thrust would still give good players an advantage for properly using them in a 1v1, while presenting an ability to be countered, unlike our current situation.
I like both, there should be:

1 playlist with all the sprints and spartan abilities, and your scoping -Yoink-.

1 playlist of classic game play and types. Without sprint abilities or what ever you call that scoping stuff.
JLC4LIFE wrote:
Warfuntime wrote:
JLC4LIFE wrote:
Remove Spartan Charge keep the rest.
This... Should have been a choice in the poll because I think this is the most hated SA. Rest is fine, I love the thrusters
thrusters are the worst by far...they affect the gameplay way more then anything else...its all you see, all the time...its ridiculously abused
It had a skill gap to Halo and that is what differentiate the Gold from the Diamonds and above.
what? no..its a get out of jail free card..thats about it
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 19