2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 9
Just Remove Spartan Charge and it would be perfect. IMO.
Or if they took sprint away, increase Base movement speed and it would still be cool. Just Get rid of SC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I voted perfect even though they aren't. I just think they're better than just "okay". They have their problems sure, but they are quite fun to use.
Same, I don't really have complaints.. they make game flow more intense yet fluent. Now if i go back to MCC and get into a game of halo 2 or halo 1 it seems unbearably slow paced.
True that, but it's still good. Am I the only one that likes both classic and new gameplay the same. As long as it's fluent, enjoyable and doesn't get exploited too much (looking at you Armor Lock and Spartan Charge) I'm OK with it.
I voted perfect even though they aren't. I just think they're better than just "okay". They have their problems sure, but they are quite fun to use.
Same, I don't really have complaints.. they make game flow more intense yet fluent. Now if i go back to MCC and get into a game of halo 2 or halo 1 it seems unbearably slow paced.
True that, but it's still good. Am I the only one that likes both classic and new gameplay the same. As long as it's fluent, enjoyable and doesn't get exploited too much (looking at you Armor Lock and Spartan Charge) I'm OK with it.
I still enjoy both. Except when I play H3 i'm always wasting my Bubble shield by pressing X lmao
I still enjoy both. Except when I play H3 i'm always wasting my Bubble shield by pressing X lmao
So true XD
I'd rather see them gone, except slide maybe.
If 343 were to keep the spartan charge then they need to increase the radar range to be that of the spartan charge's lunge distance, or slightly higher, so if someone is gonna back smack ya, you actually have a chance to evade it.
i don't mind them but better map balance would be nice
I honestly dont mind them too much, minus the charging and clamber
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
I honestly dont mind them too much, minus the charging and clamber
Spartan charging, yah it sucks, but what do you have against clamber? I think it'd be fine if the jump height was increased.
Just get rid of spartan charge and smart link and call it a day
I'm fine with them, but I prefer the H Reach and H4 Armor Abilities, they gave more original stuff. I miss my Bubble / Hardlight Shield!
Personally, I really hated armor abilities in both games, mainly because there was no balance to them. In halo 5, everyone has them and it's up to you to learn how to use them. I personally dislike Spartan Chargeand stabilizer, but Clamber works well as does thruster slide. And, while I feel it could be better balanced, I enjoyed Thruster.

Here are the unbalances of each:

Armor Lock - Easily the most overpowered ability in Halo Reach!!! This ability grants you immunity to almost everything, except falling off a map. It's annoying to waste a rocket round trying to hit a guy with this ability, and in Halo Reach BTB especially, people spammed the hell out of it. Running someone over with a ghost or warthog was almost impossible because you continuously run into someone who uses armor lock at the last second.

Sprint - Halo Reach's version was an armor ability. Players could easily run away from combat and get behind cover easily in a lot of situations. Those who do not have sprint, have to deal with the annoyance of losing a target (whose shields are half-way down, fully down, etc) because of this ability! Never chase after a guy with sprint, because more likely than not, they will get behind cover, throw grenades at the entrance, and/or find another teammate and take you down! Most of the time, it's better to find some other enemy to fight because when another player has sprint, they'll just be running behind cover as soon as their shield goes down. Although, it's not as bad as halo 4's, it was unbalanced!

Jetpack - One of the few abilities, if not the only ability that has a use on every single map you play on. It allowed players to hit people from above. It was easy to shoot people from behind cover. Jetpacks are slow, which makes them easy targets to hit. As well as get to higher platforms that would normally be impossible. This is actually one of the least unbalanced abilities, and most useful. I almost exclusively used this in Halo 4 to get behind an enemy team or to lay down fire from above.

Thruster Pack - Halo 4's version was an armor ability, and considerably one of the worst, if not the worst, to use. As you said, the only real use it has was to break your fall, which is almost useless because there was no falling damage in Halo 4 (at least, that's how I remember it being. Haven't played it in years, and NEVER gonna go back to it!)

Drop Shield - Similar to Armor Lock, it acts as a method of cover, though this ability is not activated instantly. I've killed people with a rocket launcher while they were trying to activate this ability and nailed them right as the shield landed. However, the issue is that this ability acts as a rechargeable bubble shield (Halo 3), which doesn't seem like an issue at first, but can easily be exploited to avoid death from firefights with standard weaponry. In Halo 3, you had one chance to use it, which required the right time and place. If you used it up, it's gone until another respawns where you found it. Not as unbalanced as Armor Lock, but still unbalanced enough to take skill out of the equation in a firefight. Also very annoying to fight against!

Autosentry - Like Thruster Pack, this is one of the weakest abilities. It spawns a sentry that doesn almost no damage. It's almost unusable. The point of the matter is why put something in the game that nobody is gonna want to use, 343?!?!

Regeneration Field - THE MOST OVERPOWERED ABILITY YET! A lot of people say Armor Lock is the most OP, but I have fought dozens of players and brought there shields down, only to have them activate this ability, recharge half of their shields and have to waste more ammo trying to bring there shield down all over again. Most of the time, they manage to kill me instead! HOLY ****!!!!! And if you miss a shot, you have to use another two rounds to make up for the shot you missed! I'll be honest, I thought the Regeneration Field equipment piece in Halo 3 was annoying, but this... THIS IS SO VERY MUCH WORSE!

Promethean Vision - This is basically just thermal/x-ray vision for 3 consecutive seconds. Nothing too problematic, but it does make sniping people easier during that timespan. This doesn't actually annoy me as much as it does other players.

Active Camouflage - Also, one of the most overpowered abilities! Snipers and shotgunners use this constantly! When they don't move, they're almost entirely invisible! It's unpredictability makes fighting these players very frustrating! Everybody's been **** on by a sniper or shotgunner who had active camouflage engaged! Bungie had it in Halo 2's campaign (as the Arbiter), but didn't include it in multiplayer because the testers KNEW it would be unbalanced! But during Halo Reach, they said "**** it!" and threw that out the window, and then Halo 4 came along and put it right back in the game, even after the negative reception Armor Abilities got in the Reach!

- I could talk a lot about Hardlight shield, Hologram, and Evade, but I really don't want to. I will say Evade is the worst of the the three remaining and Hologram isn't so bad (because it's easy to tell whose the real player and the hologram based on movement), and Hardlight Shield can be used skillfully in many situations.

Now, onto the Spartan Abilities:

- Stabilizers: Allows a player to hover in the air and take out targets. This is more annoying than anything else. Let's say you jump to another platform turn around and want to take a shot at something in the distance with a sniper rifle (a very pro-level tactic), this makes it easier to line up the shot and kill the player on the other side of the map! It takes skill, sure, but gives you more time to shoot than it did in previous halos! It's annoying to trying and shoot someone of the ground, while aiming down the sights (because aiming makes your gun more accurate in Halo 5!) and puts you at a disadvantage!

- Spartan Charge - This acts as a forward thruster boost, only with melee damage. It pushes you and your target back, but forces you to wait a bit before being able to shoot. When your target is already shooting at you when you hit him with this ability, if he isn't dead, then you are dead.

- Ground pound - It's very hard to land a kill with this ability, but it is extremely useful when entering gravity lifts. I've been able to pound onto different platforms and floors that I'd never been able to reach before.

- Thruster Pack - Halo 5's thruster acts as a mobility booster and a way to dodge enemy fire. My issue with this ability is that it's unpredictable. If you are shooting at me and I can get to cover from both the left side and the right, you have to predict where I would thrust towards (50% chance of getting it right). If you get it wrong, it's hard to line up your sights with the target once he gets closer to a cover point. In previous halos, all you had to look at was the direction the target was moving to know where he/she would be going. The design is similar to how Advanced Warfare's exo boost worked, but far, far, far less annoying! Thruster Pack is enjoyable, although takes a bit of skill away from the game.

- I don't mind clamber or Spartan Slide personally! I will say, however, that they do not need to be in a Halo game. I can easily play Halo 5 without them!
HaXoR73 wrote:
All of the abilities do their job well, but I bet we can all agree on one thing...

Spartan Charge is ATROCIOUS.
100% agree all abilities are ok, but spartan chargue needs be nerf or remove
i think there should be a jog(how it is now) and a full on sprint added. increased run speed with a more deliberate spartan charge. (nerf-ing a spartan charge at its current state from a jog) and adding staggering. as you calm down from a normal sprint obviously your going to need a few moments to collect yourself/IE being unable to accurately aim weapon(how it is right after a shot with recoil) and a slight buffer on controls/ when you run you are not as agile so tighten up your ability to turn ( obvious laws of physics/ objects in motion stay in motion) for brief moments. as well as for people who are anticipating, if you see someone sprinting straight at you, your going to brace yourself/embrace the impact in some sort of manner that also requires pre-meditation, if someone comes up on you and surprises you, your going to get knocked on your booty. and if you see them coming your probably going to react as normal, when you know its unavoidable, your going to brace yourself. so that is your choice are you going to dodge or brace yourself, adding that and this slight tweak to sprint should make the game feel more responsive as a player. and even if someone braces themselves if your at a full sprint and deliberately/and pre-meditatively charging them there should be room both ways depending on the reaction time of the players on both sides. how you would calibrate this making it feel like you are in a spartan suit is where things get a little shaky because i wouldn't know, but since both the person charging and the person taking the charge are in spartan suits, so bracing yourself/ being more deliberate with actions i feel would honestly make or break that moment. the current state of this does no such thing. sure there should be "punishing" mechanics for missed dashes(as there is which is fine) and there should be for the spartan bracing his/her self as well. IE not being able to pull up aiming as quickly/precisely as well as a slight stagger when bracing and not actually taking an impact.

honestly i know it seems complicated but just think about it a little when your actually playing at it will make more sense. im all about game balance, i hate losing but at least when i lose i feel its that i am truly inferior in the position i was in at the time/ and or just not as skilled or as focused as the other player. truth is sometimes it doesnt feel as satisfying and it doesn't feel as justified with its current state.
MKFREYA wrote:
HaXoR73 wrote:
All of the abilities do their job well, but I bet we can all agree on one thing...

Spartan Charge is ATROCIOUS.
100% agree all abilities are ok, but spartan chargue needs be nerf or remove
...and on a different note, I would like the Thruster Evade to have a certain "buff": if you hold down the Thruster button long enough, you can charge your thrusters to jump much higher than usual. That would make sense, wouldn't it?
I miss an option between "perfect" and "ok". I like them except for spartan charge which is annoying me a lot.
Clamber: Actually quite useful.

Ground Pound: Not bad at all, though it can get annoying.

Thruster: By itself, not really a big deal. Very useful for dodging frags.

Sprint: Changes map dynamics and vehicle usefulness significantly. Not a fan.

Spartan Charge: Encourages blindly running around the map, throwing strategy to the winds. Blasphemy.
I can do without them hate Spartan charge though. I think reach and 4 where you could choose it was better but for comp dont hage them except maybe sprint and boost idk
This topic makes me surprised at how often people are getting killed by Spartan Charge, that they want it removed. I've never had an issue with it, even if you Spartan Charge someone, if they have exceptional accuracy they'll down you before you are able to bring your weapon back up. It annoys me that half the time after I Spartan Charge someone I get caught in animation where my Spartan is reeling.

Anyways, I think that Spartan Abilities are okay. I love how it changes the game to become more fast paced. But I could do without. If Halo 6 went back to the classic style of play I wouldn't be bothered.
IMO, Spartan abilities can have a place in Halo, with discretion. Halo 3 started with introducing map power-ups (totally different than armor abilities I know) and Halo: Reach built on this by creating different armor abilities such as Armor Lock, Sprint, Jet-pack, Drop-Shield, Hologram, and Active Camo, to name a few. I really enjoyed the armor abilities because you could only have one at a time and most didn't seem to OP. Those that did often had drawbacks. Armor lock may have been the armor ability from Reach that got out of hand, but it still wasn't that bad.

Halo 4 introduced even more armor abilities along with Custom Classes. Some of the abilities such as Promethean Vision and Sniper Radar were a hideous idea, along with Custom Classes. Thus why I consider Halo 4 to be the worst and most-unbalanced Multiplayer.

Halo 5 scrapped custom classes/individual armor abilities, instead giving each player a set of five abilities: Thruster/Stabilizers, Clamber, Unlimited Sprint, Ground Pound, and Spartan Charge. IMO I don't mind Sprint in Halo, but I don't want unlimited Sprint. Again, I don't mind Ground Pound because it takes skill to use and is absolutely bad-Yoink!. However, Spartan Charge is extremely overpowered IMO and needs to be removed. Combined with Unlimited Sprint, Spartan Charge is an absolute nuisance. I don't really care for Thruster or Clamber in Halo tbh.

OP, I think armor abilities can have a place in Halo, but 343 must be careful not to make them OP like Spartan Charge or Armor Lock.

Ideally, this is how I would want armor abilities to work:
1. Everyone has a sprint meter that can deplete and recharge after 10 seconds. Similar to Halo: Reach.
2. Everyone starts with the same weapons, but can have a choice of an individual armor ability:
  • Active Camo,
  • Hologram,
  • Evade,
  • Ground Pound,
  • or Grenadier, to name a few.
I don't consider these armor abilities to be too overpowered. But this is my opinion and others may think differently.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 9