Forums / Community / Poll Discussions

Warthog leaning.

OP MIKA95VARTSU

should player character lean in warthog?

Make Your Selection:

So was just thinking of the little things in Halo & what briefly crossed my mind was how Chief used to lean sideways when driving a warthog while later on his driving position turned more stationary.

So the question here is whether this is a feature that should be returned or whether it's something Halo is better without?

As in, the leaning could be sort of weight adjustment when turning the warthog given SPARTAN armor weights 100s of kilos but stationary also could be about keeping the weight on the spot in the vehicle itself.

So should both of them be used then? Stationary for regular driving & leaning for drifting as one example.

Preferably comment below to elaborate the choice in the poll.
Indifferent for me. It's more of a cosmetic thing, so I'm good either way. I will say though that leaning in a mongoose makes more sense than in a warthog.
Indifferent for me. It's more of a cosmetic thing, so I'm good either way. I will say though that leaning in a mongoose makes more sense than in a warthog.
Could be, but fully armored SPARTANs weight could be a bit too much to make those little adjustments you can make as around average human being on smaller vehicles like motorcycles, quadbikes or snowmobiles for instance.

It could possibly work if half a ton SPARTAN would try to make those adjustments on more average sized vehicles by using their weight.

Now with ODST for instance, I could see the stationary as the way to go in an instant with the warthog while they could likely use more leaning adjustments on smaller vehicles.

But the poll is about playable SPARTANs, to still clarify even though it's likely unnecessary, though I do hope to see another ODST, or similar, game in the future so this could be one of those little things that could make little difference in the visuals.
Sounds like it could be a cool mechanic ut may make it more unmanageable when unbalanced - e.g. 1x spartan with a marine gunner/passenger
MorseyBaby wrote:
Sounds like it could be a cool mechanic ut may make it more unmanageable when unbalanced - e.g. 1x spartan with a marine gunner/passenger
It could be mostly a visual thing but passenger definitely could effect either maneuverability itself orhow the visual works.

In any case, it could add several slightly different visuals depending on the filled passenger seats/spots (maybe extra variation from types of allies) & would also change depending on the type of 'hog.
That is if mechanically the maneuverability would stay the same by controls to keep the gameplay on vehicles easier to learn.

So even mechanically it could coexist simultaneously with consistent 'hog controls though it could take a bit more animations.
Either way, I don't mind if Chief does or doesn't.
Either way, I don't mind if Chief does or doesn't.
So pretty much a neutral opinion with no current or general preference?

Or could you mean that both versions have their sides to this little detail but overall either one isn't that much overshadowing the other option?
Does it really matter? I didn't notice tbh
On the very first sentence I mentioned that this would be categorized in "little things in Halo" which makes it generally less important than the usual aspects of the game that are more discussed but even little details have their part in the entity that is the game itself.
On the very first sentence I mentioned that this would be categorized in "little things in Halo" which makes it generally less important than the usual aspects of the game that are more discussed but even little details have their part in the entity that is the game itself.
Hence why I chose Indifferent, I think it might be cool, but i'd rather have a focus on actual good game play and such rather than nit-picking
Hence why I chose Indifferent, I think it might be cool, but i'd rather have a focus on actual good game play and such rather than nit-picking
The focus pretty much is mainly on gameplay, story, artstyle & such aspects, but this is just one of these topics that bring a bit of variety to the usual every second topic about bigger aspects.

And I would view this as a topic about personal preferences on minor subject instead of nitpicking whereas this section of this reply could be viewed as nitpicking.
When playing as the chief i'd argue as no - because he is extra strong and he can hold himself in his seat. Outside of that it might make sense and might be cool based on the circumstances. the question is why do you want this?
KRSTice23 wrote:
When playing as the chief i'd argue as no - because he is extra strong and he can hold himself in his seat. Outside of that it might make sense and might be cool based on the circumstances. the question is why do you want this?
He likely could hold himself in place but not even normal human being would lean in that much of an exaggerated way that Chief did in Halo Combat Evolved which leads to question whether it's a form of motion to better control the sliding motion when going sideways, much like with irl humans can do with motorcycles, quadbikes or snowmobiles.

So even if he can constantly hold himself in place in the warthog it could make more sense to save the strenght for situations where it's needed or even amplify certain motions with his weight which is larger in comparison with the warthog than that of an unarmored regular human being.

And I dont think I at any point expressed strongly that I would definitely want this feature, just remembered it as one of the little details & thought it would make bit of a change in topics among the usual topics.
It's nothing big really but I don't get why every single topic should be of some big or dividing feature, little things can get their moment on the topics aswell.

Though little details are also the "things" that really make the game, even if they aren't the top of the things in mind when playing the game & possibly fade away when series goes on. They are there to make the world more lively & with enough variation, they can even make the game stand out more as a whole.

And this is one of those little details in the game that are outside of the usual graphical details that have lately been more focused on.