Forums / Community / Poll Discussions

Which Halo multiplayer should inspire Halo 6?

OP Jasux

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2

Which Halo multiplayer should inspire Halo 6?

Make Your Selection:

I personally wish it would be a Halo 3 rip off : in my opinion it had the

- best multiplayer balance
- best gameplay
- most satisfying ranking
- best maps of all fps, ever.
- best commentator
- best medals
- no sprint
- no annoying spartan abilities
- very limited annoying item pickups

But what's your choice?
Mwahaha. Cool. I'm sure not many people have voted yet, but I'm happy to see the results, for a reason I'll explain in a second.

I cannot vote accurately on your poll. I love aspects from multiple Halo games.

Personally, my dream Halo game would be a hybrid pulling the most inspiration from these top three games:

Halo: Reach,
Halo 5, &
Halo 3,

and then would have miscellaneous improvements and innovations of its own flavor. I've spent plenty of time imagining the perfect Halo game for me personally, because I'm a nerd and it's my favorite series.

I want an art style that incorporates the visual designs, realism, detail, scratches, dirt, and grime from Reach, as well as some of the beautiful vibrancy, color, and shininess of Halo 3. I think it'd be a great combination. The lighting was weird in Reach. Too dull.

I want the amazing-feeling fine-tuning of the gunplay in Halo: Reach, with its outstanding weapon balancing. I also love reticle bloom <3 And the grenade launcher! Reach's customization has to come back at the very least.
I really, really, really, really want Halo 3's equipment back (but not exactly the same; I have ideas for the concept evolved for Halo 6), and even more so, I want Brute tech back: Chopper, Brute Shot, Spike Grenades, all of it.
I want Spartan Abilities from Halo 5, just toned-down and rebalanced in line with the tightness of Reach's aforementioned gameplay philosophy.
Seat-switching needs to return from Halo 5. Halo 5 also has the best Infection, Grifball, and more. Breakout is....excuse me, WAS....awesome!!
Plus I have a bunch more ideas that could take Halo 6 to the next level.

But for the poll, I decided to show Reach some love. It just plays the best for me, though Halo 5 comes close.

But what made me so happy was to see that the votes were evenly distributed, with 33%, 33%, and 33% percent across each of the 3 games I would most want Hlo 6 to pull from. :3
Halo Reach had some really cool maps and gunplay. And it's art style was also excellent. So I say Reach most of all.
Halo Reach is my favorite game of all time, but I still say Halo 5.
Halo 5 introduced many new things to the gameplay, but they are not perfect and not all people like them. That is why they should make them better not remove them.
With splits screen Halo 6 could be even better than Halo Reach.

All Halo games have great maps (Halo 4 is probably weakest in this category).
Best medals were in Halo Reach, especially Yoink medal.

Halo 6 should have more offline options, adding splits screen is good, but we also need classic firefight.
I would honestly say a mix between Halo 2 and Halo 3!
I say 2 because it actually added dual wielding, hijacking and many more and if halo 6 was based on that multiplayer than i believe we would have more vehicle play, dualing will make a comeback and possibly a lot new things we never considered.(just nerf the snipers and it will be perfect)
I really liked reach, 3, and 5 multiplayer, but reach and 5s multiplayer kinda had issues. Reach had armor abilities, 5 had sprint and Spartan charge, but 3s multiplayer was just perfect for me
I'd like to see a cross between 2 and 3. Halo 2 without the glitches and button combos, Halo 3 without the slow movement speed, and generally a higher base movement speed than both without sprint. I'd like to keep clamber and maybe thursters, but other than that I'd rather be rid of spartan abilities. I'd like the weapons to be balanced as they are in 4 and 5, where automatics are viable choices. As for vehicles, they should be as they were in Halo 2 and 3: Viable. Menaces on the battlefield that need to be dealt with using teamwork and heavy weapons.

I'd also like to see some mechanic in place that prevents players from just spamming BR/DMR shots across the map the same way they would at medium range. A player shouldn't be able to snipe another player across the map with a BR and have the same time-to-kill as they would up close. This could be solved by either making the weapons projectile instead of hitscan (like Halo 3) or adding a bloom mechanic (like Halo Reach.) Considering that projectile weapons can really mess up a game's consistency, especially with lag, I'd prefer bloom since it gives players more control, albeit a much more modest amount of bloom than what Reach had.

Halo 3 and Reach also had the best approach to customization. While Halo 3's was achievement based and Reach's was based on rank and saving up credits, we could have both. Standard cosmetics unlocked by rank and spending points, with special cosmetics (like legendary armor) unlocked through achievements. Assuming that Warzone is continued (it most likely will be) I'd like to be able to buy REQ cards directly instead of getting them randomly in packs (and then selling what I don't want at a painful rate of one at a time.)
Holy crap I love the people on this thread, lol. Where have Waypointers like you been hiding?

Halo Reach is my favorite game of all time, but I still say Halo 5.
Halo 5 introduced many new things to the gameplay, but they are not perfect and not all people like them. That is why they should make them better not remove them.
With splits screen Halo 6 could be even better than Halo Reach.

All Halo games have great maps (Halo 4 is probably weakest in this category).
Best medals were in Halo Reach, especially Yoink medal.

Halo 6 should have more offline options, adding splits screen is good, but we also need classic firefight.
I agree with you so much Darkfin (except about the Yoink medal because I didn't like something encouraging people to steal assassinations), and since you think Halo 5 mechanics should be improved upon in Halo 6, I'd really like to hear some of your thoughts on how they should be changed on my thread on the topic.
Rhydon65 wrote:
I'd like to see a cross between 2 and 3. Halo 2 without the glitches and button combos, Halo 3 without the slow movement speed, and generally a higher base movement speed than both without sprint. I'd like to keep clamber and maybe thursters, but other than that I'd rather be rid of spartan abilities. I'd like the weapons to be balanced as they are in 4 and 5, where automatics are viable choices. As for vehicles, they should be as they were in Halo 2 and 3: Viable. Menaces on the battlefield that need to be dealt with using teamwork and heavy weapons.

I'd also like to see some mechanic in place that prevents players from just spamming BR/DMR shots across the map the same way they would at medium range. A player shouldn't be able to snipe another player across the map with a BR and have the same time-to-kill as they would up close. This could be solved by either making the weapons projectile instead of hitscan (like Halo 3) or adding a bloom mechanic (like Halo Reach.) Considering that projectile weapons can really mess up a game's consistency, especially with lag, I'd prefer bloom since it gives players more control, albeit a much more modest amount of bloom than what Reach had.

Halo 3 and Reach also had the best approach to customization. While Halo 3's was achievement based and Reach's was based on rank and saving up credits, we could have both. Standard cosmetics unlocked by rank and spending points, with special cosmetics (like legendary armor) unlocked through achievements. Assuming that Warzone is continued (it most likely will be) I'd like to be able to buy REQ cards directly instead of getting them randomly in packs (and then selling what I don't want at a painful rate of one at a time.)
Great ideas! I personally don't understand people's hatred of sprint but I agree with just about everything you said. And I love you for liking reticle bloom. I think there are like 3 of us on the planet who like bloom. XD
Holy crap I love the people on this thread, lol. Where have Waypointers like you been hiding?

Rhydon65 wrote:
Great ideas! I personally don't understand people's hatred of sprint but I agree with just about everything you said. And I love you for liking reticle bloom. I think there are like 3 of us on the planet who like bloom. XD
People dislike sprint in Halo because of the way it changes gameplay; it has a bigger impact that it would seem at first glance. See, it isn't just a speed boost added to the game. To compensate for the ability to move faster, 343 has made the maps larger than normal. Since Halo 5 remade 'Midship' as 'Truth' you can see the how much bigger they've made the map by watching this demonstration.The problem with having maps expanded like this is that it doesn't actually speed up gameplay. In the classic trilogy, you could move at top speed and still be able to fire your gun. With sprint, you have to lower your weapon to reach top speed, but at the same time, you need to use sprint to get from point A to point B in a timely manner. This forces players to either move slower than at optimal speed, or have their weapon ready. Imagine if in Halo 3 they reduced movement speed but added sprint to let players go faster. It would make the same effect as 343 enlarging the maps to compensate for higher movement speed provided by sprint. I hope this helps you understand why people are so adamant when it comes to sprint in Halo.

And yeah, bloom was a good mechanic, underappreciated. People complained about how it made the DMR inconsistent, but it was a factor that players could control, so if they mastered it then it wouldn't be a problem. Pacing shots enhanced the game by adding an extra factor that players had to consider, but it wasn't a huge change. It only affected the weapon at mid to long range, and it made the game more of a tactical than a twitch shooter since it was about timing instead of spamming. Reach at its base had too much bloom, but the TU playlists like BTB have just the right amount of it.
Rhydon65 wrote:

Rhydon65 wrote:
People dislike sprint in Halo because of the way it changes gameplay; it has a bigger impact that it would seem at first glance. See, it isn't just a speed boost added to the game. To compensate for the ability to move faster, 343 has made the maps larger than normal. Since Halo 5 remade 'Midship' as 'Truth' you can see the how much bigger they've made the map by watching this demonstration.The problem with having maps expanded like this is that it doesn't actually speed up gameplay. In the classic trilogy, you could move at top speed and still be able to fire your gun. With sprint, you have to lower your weapon to reach top speed, but at the same time, you need to use sprint to get from point A to point B in a timely manner. This forces players to either move slower than at optimal speed, or have their weapon ready. Imagine if in Halo 3 they reduced movement speed but added sprint to let players go faster. It would make the same effect as 343 enlarging the maps to compensate for higher movement speed provided by sprint. I hope this helps you understand why people are so adamant when it comes to sprint in Halo.
With all due respect, I wasn't intending to turn this thread into a sprint debate; I was just saying I agreed with your other points except that. I've seen the "sprint is an illusion" videos, I've seen the endless threads and comments about why people think sprint is the devil, I've heard it all again & again. I've heard all those point a million times and none of them hold up to me as actually harming the game. I don't want to get into why right now, I was just saying I think you made good points in the rest of your comment. :)
Jasux wrote:
I personally wish it would be a Halo 3 rip off : in my opinion it had the

- best multiplayer balance
- best gameplay
- most satisfying ranking
- best maps of all fps, ever.
- best commentator
- best medals
- no sprint
- no annoying spartan abilities
- very limited annoying item pickups

But what's your choice?
I agree almost totally with you, but i need the sprint, also slower than Halo 5, but it's too boring with the speed of Halo 3 when you play in maps of BTB (for example)
I think that the perfect Halo multiplayer would resemble Halo 5's the most. The biggest problems with the multiplayer are the excessively fast pace and the forgettable maps. If Halo 6 takes Halo 5 and makes these two changes, I think Halo multiplayer will be better than ever. To fix the fast pace, I think that in multiplayer, shields should slowly drain while sprinting, and the Spartan Charge should have much less aim-assist, no lock-on, and it should count as a thrust. These will discourage sprinting excessively around the map while still allowing players who like sprint to do so. As well, with the draining shields and the lack of lock-on, Spartan Charge can still exist without be overpowered. This being said, I do think that Clamber, Slide, and Thrusting should return with few changes.

The maps, of course, should be memorable, like Battle Creek and Midship, but they should also be designed for a slower pace. For example, if Regret was placed in Halo 6, I would make the ramparts slightly smaller, because players will probably not be sprinting through there quite as often. There are probably more examples, but that is the biggest one I can think of right now,
I think that the perfect Halo multiplayer would resemble Halo 5's the most. The biggest problems with the multiplayer are the excessively fast pace and the forgettable maps. If Halo 6 takes Halo 5 and makes these two changes, I think Halo multiplayer will be better than ever. To fix the fast pace, I think that in multiplayer, shields should slowly drain while sprinting, and the Spartan Charge should have much less aim-assist, no lock-on, and it should count as a thrust. These will discourage sprinting excessively around the map while still allowing players who like sprint to do so. As well, with the draining shields and the lack of lock-on, Spartan Charge can still exist without be overpowered. This being said, I do think that Clamber, Slide, and Thrusting should return with few changes.

The maps, of course, should be memorable, like Battle Creek and Midship, but they should also be designed for a slower pace. For example, if Regret was placed in Halo 6, I would make the ramparts slightly smaller, because players will probably not be sprinting through there quite as often. There are probably more examples, but that is the biggest one I can think of right now,
I generally agree with most of that except that draining shields bit. 0,0 That's ridiculous to me and I think they have a great shield system in place right now as it is.

But I'm glad it seems most all of us agree that Spartan charged needs some serious nerfing, and I think counting it as a thrust is one good idea associated with it which I haven't heard much.

I generally agree with most of that except that draining shields bit. 0,0 That's ridiculous to me and I think they have a great shield system in place right now as it is.

But I'm glad it seems most all of us agree that Spartan charged needs some serious nerfing, and I think counting it as a thrust is one good idea associated with it which I haven't heard much.
I was thinking that some people really hate sprint, so draining shields while sprinting would discourage running and ultimately slow down the pace of the game. It would be a very small drain, like maybe 4% per second. That would mean that it would take 25 seconds for the shields to fully drain. So, if you decide to sprint for 5 seconds, which is actually quite a while, your shields would drop by only 1/5. Perhaps there is a better way to refine this, but at least it would appeal to those who wish to banish sprint from Halo, which I think is a terrible idea.
Halo 3 & Halo Reach...
To fix the fast pace, I think that in multiplayer, shields should slowly drain while sprinting, and the Spartan Charge should have much less aim-assist, no lock-on, and it should count as a thrust. These will discourage sprinting excessively around the map while still allowing players who like sprint to do so.
I was thinking that some people really hate sprint, so draining shields while sprinting would discourage running and ultimately slow down the pace of the game. It would be a very small drain, like maybe 4% per second. That would mean that it would take 25 seconds for the shields to fully drain. So, if you decide to sprint for 5 seconds, which is actually quite a while, your shields would drop by only 1/5. Perhaps there is a better way to refine this, but at least it would appeal to those who wish to banish sprint from Halo, which I think is a terrible idea.
Well honestly, most of the people who are so far on that side that they believe Sprint should be removed from Halo entirely are people who are unwilling to compromise at all because they want Halo to play exactly like Halo 3 did. I agree with your general sentiment though, I think. You want Sprint to stay in some form, but want to rebalance it in some way because it currently bothers so many people. I personally do want it adjusted toward more of a compromise too. I recently made a thread discussing ways to rebalance it and other Spartan Abilities in order to slow down the pace and make the gameplay a bit closer to the older style while keeping the benefits of the new additions, but in a tighter form. Ideally, I think that could be great for the majority of current Halo players, would please those like me who like SAs but want them toned down, wouldn't bother most people who love all the SAs, and would please a lot of people who are more on the classic side but who don't all-out reject SAs. I think it could please a lot more people than the current game does.
But the people who hate Sprint altogether see it as inherently a bad mechanic, no matter how it's implemented, so they would hate the game even with a strong incentive to not use it.
Meanwhile, those of us who do like it would be screwed over too, and no smart player would use it the vast majority of the time because it wouldn't be worth it. It would slow down gameplay on maps big enough for Sprint. I see it only causing problems for everyone involved.
I think there are other ways to adjust it that will make some people like it better, but that don't inherently punish players for using it. A player shouldn't be punished for using a basic mechanic that's part of the most basic gameplay, like moving around. It doesn't make sense to me.
Leave it like halo 5. I really like the fast pace of halo 5 multiplayer.
I would like 6 multiplayer to be like halo 5 or 4. Because I personally love halo at a faster pace unlike halo 3. I like halo4s multiplayer because I like how you can create your load out and also have ability but I still want halo to be a longer time to kill.
I would like Halo 6 to be like Halo 3 because in my opinion, the classic style is just more fun. They should also make the base movement speed in MP at 125% because Halo 3 was just too slow.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2