Building a real life Warthog.

OP X wing Red 5

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
So my dream is to build a real life warthog.

Yeah I'm that guy.

Crazy, fool hearted and.... willing to give it a try.

I have plans to build it on a HMMWV (Military Humvee) I am waiting on two things, 1) paperwork to go through to be able to pick up said Humvee and 2) permission from Microsoft/343 to actually build it without stepping on toes of copyrighted material. The first will be solved in due time, the second has had me spinning my wheels (pun intended) trying to get ahold of the right personnel at MS. I finally was pointed in the direction of this forum and was so impressed I decided to do more than just post my request for help. (I posted to the support page with my request, patiently waiting a reply)

So the plan is to keep everyone updated here as well through my podcast and planned YouTube exploits of said project. I thought this would be another place where people would enjoy this little experiment.

Until the next update, Spartans.
Jealous, I wish I had the ability and skills to do something like this!
Jealous, I wish I had the ability and skills to do something like this!
There's only way to learn. Some of this project is specifically to gain the knowledge to be able to do this. So feel free to laugh at us as we fail several times before getting it right.

The YouTube documentation we're planning on doing should help in that department too.
Interesting... I have some questions though, are you planning to make it completely accurate to the in game models? Which version of the Warthog are you planning to do? And will details such as the turret be able to turn? Anyway, this sounds like an amazing project and if you're successful... we can see militaries using them xD
You will be able to build the Hog, you can double check to be sure but a few guys across the community have built themselves their own warthogs. For Example.

It'd be interesting, if you do build it OP, to see a hog built off a HMMWV. I don't think that's been done before.
Interesting... I have some questions though, are you planning to make it completely accurate to the in game models? Which version of the Warthog are you planning to do? And will details such as the turret be able to turn? Anyway, this sounds like an amazing project and if you're successful... we can see militaries using them xD
To answer your questions real quick: completely accurate, no. I don't have the budget to make the intricacies of the video game version come to life at 100%. It is planned that you will definitely know what it is, just by looking at it. If I had to give it a percentage I'd say 85-95% As for the version or version(s) that is up for debate. We may mix and match a little too. When a turret goes on it will have 360 degree motion on it. It will, however, be removable (or changeable!) As for the militaries of the world, it seems to me that the Warthog was based of trucks already in use(one of which is the Humvee), so I think they may be way ahead of me.

Thanks for the questions ASpookyGhostMan, and we'll keep you updated.
You will be able to build the Hog, you can double check to be sure but a few guys across the community have built themselves their own warthogs. For Example.

It'd be interesting, if you do build it OP, to see a hog built off a HMMWV. I don't think that's been done before.
I've seen 3 of them (4 now with your link), one of which is based on a H1 (civilian version) Hummer: http://nerdist.com/your-next-dream-car-a-real-life-halo-4-warthog/
As far as a Military HMMWV I don't know.

It's not so much a if I can, It's more of a permission from MS to recoup costs that will go into it (Like sell it when I'm done or use it in videos for sale) Very little of this is allowed under the current rules of use, which can be understood.

Thanks for the info Time Keeper!
Update on the timeline:

Humvee transportation has been arranged (sorry it won't be by Pelican, but not for lack of trying).

Paperwork is supposed to clear in Nov/Dec time frame.

Shop is going up around that same time (for a place to work on this guy)

Planning stage has started and will continue until I get the Humvee here.

License plates will be transferred from another truck - "puma"

Until the next update, Spartans.
Wow that's impressive. Is it road legal? What about getting insurance for it?
These questions. Also make sure you make some photos and upload them gere so we can see it when its done.
Thanks ProwlerFowler!

The short answer to both will be yes. Since this is the very, very early stages I don’t even have the vehicle yet so. But early on in the project it will be registered, insured and put on the road.
pictures pls
Cstriker01 wrote:
pictures pls
Standby for current pictures of the project as described in the post above.
Project update:
Planning has started in earnest. It is detailed on B Squad Hotrod Podcast Episode 53 found here:

http://bsquadhotrod.libsyn.com/episode-0053-humvee-to-warthog-plans

After several requests for pictures already and a lack of reading original post I must emphasize that pictures will be forthcoming when there is actually something to take a picture of. Right now the only picture is of an empty parking spot.

As far as approval I am still looking to get a hold of someone at Microsoft that I can talk to about permission or a commercial license to make this happen as I wish to be a good citizen and community member and not infringe on the Intellectual Property of Microsoft/343.
Maybe start off easy with a scout hog and add the turret onto it later, then Bob's your uncle, you got a standard warthog
Cooooool
Maybe start off easy with a scout hog and add the turret onto it later, then Bob's your uncle, you got a standard warthog
I am hoping to have several configurations for the back of the hog. Your plan is sound, sir.
Project Update:
Hit the 8 week mark for paperwork (should be any day between now and Christmas).

Transportation worked out for the Humvee to get it the ~150 miles to my shop. I'm looking at the bare minimum to get it running before starting the build out.

Looking at equipment for make the YouTube Channel content. (cameras, lights, etc.)

Until next update, Spartans.
Project Update:
About to start filming the first of the youtube channel episodes.
I just got the equipment to go pick up the Humvee and will post more as it goes up.

Until next update, Spartans.
hope this works out well for you
i know rooster teeth made something like this, best of luck.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6