Forums / Community / Community Creations

Halo Insurrectionist Cosplay Help

OP Noble Row

Alright boys and girls. Buckle up because I’m an ameteur when it comes to cosplay and I’m makin’ myself a cosplay for the upcoming Halo Outpost Discovery.

But I want to hear from you guys on some suggestions of what I should do. Right now I’m thinking of giving this cosplay a hodge-podge of acquired UNSC gear. From an ODST chestplate to even a severely damaged Spartan Helmet acquired from some gutsy scavenger on Venezia. But away from the role play reasons. What else should I add and aim for? I got myself an MA5B and a Magnum already, everything else I’ll be buying from somewhere or carving out from some EVA foam. I’m psyched for the event and want to do it justice with some unique cosplay.

I’ve been playing halo since I was a kid, and am looking forward to any feedback anyone wants to provide.
I can’t think of what any insurrectionists look like off the top of my head.

There were “rebels” in the Halo: Reach mission Nightfall, you could look to them for inspiration, but make sure they are actually insurrectionists first.
JB Linken wrote:
I can’t think of what any insurrectionists look like off the top of my head.

There were “rebels” in the Halo: Reach mission Nightfall, you could look to them for inspiration, but make sure they are actually insurrectionists first.
Check out "Silent Storm" for a bit of info on this. there's a part where an innie is remarking on what the other folks in the room are wearing and jokingly calls it "Insurrectionist Chic":
Quote:
worn fatigues with cutoff sleeves or no collar or both, often with too many buttons undone and a flask cap peeking out of a breast pocket.
Look at the movie halo fall of reach there you can get some ideas.
I can't find much info on what they would wear, but there is this image from Halo: Mythos.
Insurrection design 1.
Step 1: Go to Salvation Army.
Step 2: Get clothes from Salvation Army.
Step 3: Lightly singe clothes from Salvation Army, equip to body.
Step 4: ????
Step 5: Apply dirt and grime to face.
Step 6: Paint a Nerf gun black and gray and then hit it with a hammer a few times.
Step 7: Profit.
Some kind of bandana or face mask, and make sure that you've got the raised clenched fist emblem we've seen elsewhere.
Maybe tag on "UNSC GO HOME!" somewhere on the armor too.
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
Bandoleers are a nice touch and if you don't mind destroying your hard work, beating up your rifle and magnum a bit may make it look a bit more realistic
Bandoleers are a nice touch and if you don't mind destroying your hard work, beating up your rifle and magnum a bit may make it look a bit more realistic
I think they're the plastic BoomCo ones most likely. A paint job would do the same
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
Okay so I have some really good idea's for this cosplay if you would like to hear them.

So first of all I think you'll have to decide what kind of look you are going for. Are you the innie dressed in typical 26th century clothes, the rag-tag rebel or the Innie that is rocking full battle armor that looks more professional than you'd think?

Most people would be going for the "rag-tag" innie look which is most common and could fit for any time period whether you are planning on this being before, during or after the war.

So to start off we'll be talking about clothes. I think a mixture of surplus clothing and civilian clothing that may be modified or not would be perfect. I think an old flight suit in green, grey, tan or black would be a good start. Flight suits have been mentioned several times in canon due to the need for space travel and non-descript wear.

If that doesn't float your boat then I would suggest wearing surplus military pants. I think woodland camo (m81/ERDL), UCP/ACU camo and woodland marpat would be a great fit. The more beat up the better. Black uniforms including multicam black would also look very cool. You may even be able to use a blue camo pattern as well. Military, hiking or working boots would be awesome and would add to the look, but a pair of sneakers may work depending on the style. I would also look for some military knee and elbow pads.

Your top could be a mix of anything between a worn white tee, all the way up to a military bdu top. I think a white tee and some sort of unbuttoned bdu jacket or some type of vest would be perfect. You could even take a camouflage military blouse and cut the sleeves and collar off like someone above mentioned.

As far as gear is concerned, the sky is the limit. I think a mixture of ex-UNSC or CMA gear would be perfect. You can try to incorporate modern day load bearing equipment with cosplayed ODST or other UNSC items. I think the MJOLNIR helmet would be a bit far fetched. I think it would be nearly impossible to source. On top of that I don't know if an Innie would have a way to power the helmet and we don't know if an un-augmented individual would be able to safely wear one in the first place.

I had to write this comment rather quickly, so I hope there weren't too many spelling or grammatical errors. If you have any questions or you wanted help sourcing items or any other idea's then feel free to reply or check out some of the wonderful suggestions above.
Noble Row wrote:
Alright boys and girls. Buckle up because I’m an ameteur when it comes to cosplay and I’m makin’ myself a cosplay for the upcoming Halo Outpost Discovery.

But I want to hear from you guys on some suggestions of what I should do. Right now I’m thinking of giving this cosplay a hodge-podge of acquired UNSC gear. From an ODST chestplate to even a severely damaged Spartan Helmet acquired from some gutsy scavenger on Venezia. But away from the role play reasons. What else should I add and aim for? I got myself an MA5B and a Magnum already, everything else I’ll be buying from somewhere or carving out from some EVA foam. I’m psyched for the event and want to do it justice with some unique cosplay.

I’ve been playing halo since I was a kid, and am looking forward to any feedback anyone wants to provide.
Given the lack of information we have on the subject, I would say that you are quite free. Any UNSC or ONI badge crossed out, with armor of luck and a weapon from the Halo universe will do its job ;)