Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Community Creations

[Locked] Halo Mythic: Fan-Made Roleplaying Game

OP Vorked

WHAT IS HALO MYTHIC?
Halo Mythic is my attempt to be the most all-inclusive Halo Tabletop RPG possible. The system is built off of a D100 System, BRP, which has been heavily customized and completely altered for over two years, turning it into a standalone system where opposed rolls and equipment play a massive part into how everything flows. Halo Mythic uses this system, coined as 100DOS, as its core for a more balanceable and understandable system. This system mainly runs on D10, D100, and Percentile, giving a simplified rolling mechanic that shouldn’t take too much time to master.
Halo Mythic attempts to bring anything and everything from all of the games, books, comics, graphic novels, background stories, shorts, and terminals. If it was mentioned, we’re working toward building on it. We’re going live with the system fully, now, after 3 years of work and rebuilding. I’m doing so in order to get the most amount of opinions, critiques, ideas, suggestions, and fixes as possible, for a stable release.

What does all-inclusive mean? Every weapon, every vehicle, every race, every combat role. If we have a possibility of using or creating it, we’ll try our best. This means that when playing, you have tools to be anything you want, do anything you want, and become anything you want. If you survive, that is.

Preview versions are versions between “Releases,” which are stable system milestones. Each version released is a more stable variant than the last, almost always adding new content and balances. Each Preview has a changelist and a fixlist that is built upon by my work and the assistance of the fans of Halo and my small team of helpers. Preview 19 has just recently released, adding in the building blocks of ship combat (a lot of placeholders and unfinished content, the system is viewable to allow assistance to improve it), Covenant and Human rank and order system, and survival rules.

We have a subreddit, too. We use the subreddit in order to collect opinions and fixes for the system. Suggestions are important to us. Remember that. Your opinion truly does matter. I’ve put 3 years of my heart and soul into this, and without everyone who helps, reads, and plays it, it’d all be for nothing. Thank you all for even giving it a look through. Thank you so much.

Subreddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/HaloMythic/

The sidebar of the subreddit contains the Download, Character sheet, Changelist, and suggestions. I hope you all can share your suggestions and ideas here, too. It would mean a lot to me.

I don’t feel proper linking to direct downloads within this post, unless a moderator tells me it is fine. For now, everything is in the sidebar and the sticky post.
What do you all think?
I've only been with this project for a little while, so this was before my time, but this story is one of the reasons I got involved with the project. Just imagine what you can do now that there weren't rules for back when this happened.

Quote:
The most damage ever dealt with an improvised weapon, or, How I killed a starship with a piece of steel cable.
So, the campaign was Operation Nightlight, a foot-in-the-door recon mission launched by a prowler to Harvest, 72 hours before Admiral Cole's fleet was expected to arrive. I was playing the Smart AI Raziel, staying onboard the ship(which worked with how I couldn't get to the campaign location but appeared through skype calls; I was on the comms.)
Anyway, the Prowler, UNSC Hannover Fist, avoided detection by hiding in the remains of the Tiara, the link between the space elevators from Contact Harvest. It was basically a big cloud of metal debris, plus the cables from the seven elevators, which were still roughly intact and still thousands of miles long. All in all, it was a perfect place to hide the prowler, because even if scans picked up the ship, it would look like one more big chunk of metal among thousands.
Sixty hours into the mission, literally everything has gone wrong. The team is being pursued by a high ranking SpecOps Elite, codenamed "Long Knife", and he's obviously trying to capture the party; he's called in backup in the form of a Covenant Corvette that's providing overwatch to keep the prowler from Evacing the players, and a Scarab to help chase them down. Internal strife is setting in as one of the players is starting to demonstrate strength that shouldn't have been possible(having successfully wrestled with an Elite) and another has been revealed to be an ONI agent placed to monitor them. The players themselves are getting desperate, and Raziel hears the emergency beacon activated, a signal that it's time to try something, anything, to get them off Harvest.
Raziel signals the team to get as far away from the Scarab and Corvette as possible, and sends a few signals.
A fragment of Raziel is beamed down into the remaining JOTUN systems by maser; the few fragments of the DCS AI Mack are useless at doing anything, but they give Raziel the programs and instructions it needs. A full size JOTUN is maneuvered under the barrel of Harvest's still buried Mass Driver, lifting it up and aiming it carefully. The shell is fired on a ballistic trajectory, and when it lands it strikes the Covenant Corvette, stripping its shields.
Meanwhile, Raziel is busy. The Prowler's emergency thrusters are stripped off by EVA teams, and mounted to the nearest of the seven space elevator cables. I do a quick bit of calculation with some careful estimation, and fire the emergency thrusters.
They're powerful enough to deorbit the cable. Thousands of miles of thick, heavy steel cable, falling into Harvest at terminal velocity, punching through the atmosphere and crashing right onto the shieldless Covenant Corvette.
Forty two kiloton kinetic yield. The blast annihilates the Corvette and destroys the Scarab and anything else within a few kilometers.
And that's how I killed a Covenant spaceship with some steel cable.
I have only been with this project for a little bit, but I have had a lot of fun working with Vorked and the other people who like this project. I would say my favorite thing I've done so far was make a Mad Max setting on the Jiralhanae home world, and come up with the brilliant idea of the UNSC dropping a Mammoth on the world, and let the players roam around and have fun blowing up vehicles.

Quote:
The vehicle we kind of ended up deciding on kept the mini-MAC instead of replacing it with something crazy like a mini-MAC sized flamethrower, or a giant M46 that had smaller M46's for barrels. Statwise, the Mammoth has 14 weapon points, and 21 size points. In game, the Mammoth has the mini-MAC, which takes up 10 weapon points, and the two M79 rocket launchers. We decided that was a decent load out, because the M79's can lock onto air vehicles, and shoot at ground ones.
Moving on to the transport bay of the Mammoth, it is able to carry four warthogs, 10 mongeese, or a single scorpion. We decided on taking the four warthogs.
We decided on taking a troop transport warthog, a M46 mounted one, a gauss (op) hog, and finally a medic hog. We didn't have time to customize these, as the conversation devolved into making a Doof (The guy with the guitar on that amazing truck in Mad Max) brute, also known as a BROOF.
If you have any ideas on how to make this thing more Mad Max-y, feel free to give some ideas
Right now, ships are our focus as we gather fixes and missing equipment. Hope everyone is enjoying it.
I've been helping the system since it started in 2013, it really is probably the best possible Tabletop for the Halo universe. There have been a few other fan-games that have been made over the years, but this one is by far the most polished and most finished.
I've been going through armor abilities and ramping up the system in which it is used. The section in the book is also being improved upon, making it cleaner and easier to understand. It also sets limitations to how it is used, so a ton of abilities cannot be stacked, unless done reasonably. Mjolnir Gen II suits also have their thruster systems from Halo 5 (implemented at a specific point in the timeline to when someone can get said upgrade), as well as the addition to the Artemis Tracking/healing system.

There are a lot of minor fixes coming, too. These fixes are to clear up and clean up all the little things, such as "do hardcases add to armor in a given area" and "can reload speeds be lowered if dual wielding?"

A lot of work is going into this, and we hope that Preview 20 will clear up any issues people were having.
Man I still remember the first thread on /tg/ about this. The game has evolved so much since those earlier builds.

What would Junter's stats look like in more recent builds?
Kalawaki wrote:
Man I still remember the first thread on /tg/ about this. The game has evolved so much since those earlier builds.

What would Junter's stats look like in more recent builds?
Scary and broken, just as it should ever be.

Okay, so here is a big update on the direction we are taking the system, trying to line up with Halo 5 and War 2, and all the other media we have incoming.

I'm trying my best, as someone outside of 343 and Microsoft, so take what we know and what we're seeing, and implement it properly. Anything that changes by 343 will be changed in the system. Think of it like I'm trying my best to keep it close as possible to new media, to make sure all those cool things you see will instantly be playable when the next Release or Preview comes out.

We've completely cut out Ship combat. We never had as much information that we needed to complete it, and it was too draining to attempt to make up everything needed to pilot and use giant space ships. Instead, it has been cut back to when we're finished with the system, entirely, and will be released as a supplement book, unless this is something that could then be handled using Fleet Battles, side by side with Halo Mythic.

I've been going through videos and information on as much as I can for additional modifications and additions to the system. It's really hard when you don't have access to the Halo Bible, but its something I try my best on when working. It's a lot of work that is made longer and more tedious when you don't have the direct tools needed. Like trying to chop down a tree with your bare hands. You just have to suck it up and make the tools yourself so you can get to work.

Promethean Soldiers, and the caste and utilities that comes with them, is in the works. This means that you'll see them as a Playable character, as well. Soldiers are armigers, which are advanced combat-based Smart AI. Like if you gave Cortana a robotic body and a large, angry gun. It allows for a Forerunner-level gameplay that is still at a level in which it can communicate well into the rest of Halo Mythic. It also allows you to play from a Soldier, and eventually maybe a Warden. This system will also show the introduction to the Didact as an enemy, or ally, if the GM wills it.

So, long story short, we've cut ship combat out so I can truly begin progressing what is important.

Now, I do want to know opinions, ideas, and suggestions from everyone here. You're all fans of Halo, so I want to know what you all think. What you want added, what you want to be able to do with the system, if you'd want something to be covered better so its less confusing to attempt.
I am a little confused about this. I've been on Reddit only a few times, and don't understand this exactly. Is this a book? That's also a roleplay game where you use the pages? I would love an explanation. Well, whatever it is, it looks awesome!
Keep it up! Hopefully I'll figure it out!
Labmonkey wrote:
I am a little confused about this. I've been on Reddit only a few times, and don't understand this exactly. Is this a book? That's also a roleplay game where you use the pages? I would love an explanation. Well, whatever it is, it looks awesome!
Basically, it's a tabletop roleplaying game.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabletop_role-playing_game

You use the book to create a character and arm yourself with equipment from the series. Everything you say and do changes how things work. So you use the rules, build characters, and then you have another player be the person calling the shots and creating the world. Usually coined as a Game Master. To make it more understandable, I left a link on what a tabletop RPG game is, and below this, a quote of the introduction to learning what Tabletop RPGs are.

Quote:
A tabletop role-playing game, pen-and-paper role-playing game, or table-talk role-playing game is a form of role-playing game (RPG) in which the participants describe their characters' actions through speech. Participants determine the actions of their characters based on their characterization, and the actions succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines. Within the rules, players have the freedom to improvise; their choices shape the direction and outcome of the game.
Unlike other types of role-playing game, tabletop RPGs are often conducted like radio drama: only the spoken component of a role is acted. This acting is not always literal, and players do not always speak exclusively in-character. Instead, players act out their role by deciding and describing what actions their characters will take within the rules of the game. In most games, a specially designated player called the game master (GM) also known as DM (dungeon master) creates a setting in which each player plays the role of a single character. The GM describes the game world and its inhabitants; the other players describe the intended actions of their characters, and the GM describes the outcomes. Some outcomes are determined by the game system, and some are chosen by the GM.
The terms pen-and-paper and tabletop are generally only used to distinguish this format of RPG from other formats, since neither pen and paper nor a table are strictly necessary.
Labmonkey wrote:
It is a roleplay game, yes. It is also a book. More correctly, it is a rulebook for the roleplay game. Halo Mythic is a pencil and paper roleplaying game, which means that you use the rules found in the book to make your own character in the Halo universe. Ideally, you and a few of your friends all read the rules, make characters and then make up stories and adventures in the Halo universe.

For example, say you wanted to play as that Marine you always give your sniper rifle to when you have one bullet left. With Halo Mythic, you can do that, and give him whatever personality you like. Over the course of a game of Halo Mythic that character will be hurt, get better at doing things, and generally change how you as the player want them to. That is where the pencil and paper part comes in, because you have a character sheet that tells you how your character interacts with the Universe.

I hope that helps. Feel free to drop us a question any time you are confused or if you just want to share a cool idea. Thanks!
Labmonkey wrote:
If I can make an inaccurate analogy, this is kind of like Dungeons and Dragons, but in Halo. With guns. You create characters and then play out those characters through a game laid out by the person running it, colloquially known as Game Masters (GMs). The GM sets the stage, creates the games, plays the part of Non-Player Characters (NPCs) and pits enemy characters against the players.

Here, I'll throw out some characters I've made for some games with a brief Bio about them.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xUpO0cvO8Vn8qODVpe9wM-D2in1bz6VFGPNYjRW_l8Y/edit?usp=sharing
Taylor-B109, Spartan-III Headhunter, ONI Section-0 Operative, specialty: Aggressive Reconnaissance.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yiXHFdXJQulw0-Eh8C7KCYsPyeXvUKjfnquRze7wHH8/edit?usp=sharing
Erin Thompson, Air Force Pilot turned space pirate, specialty: flying and driving.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YPFlLH1m_abdnWH_WTOUEcbZY0jpsSCplmvOiluAmCY/edit
Juon Park, Hellbringer Helljumper, son of a Spartan, pyromaniac Catholic. Specialty: Fire.https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Kg1FrhHvOk3DsoqKu1d4oH4O-BPXDVoT4GOMKqVj3jw (Older character sheet version, may update later)
Jor Wiik, Skirmisher Spec-Ops commando, marksman and rabbit. Never really made a personality for her, never played her either. eh.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PiG_i_0faWgrZKaaUvkpQu4KNnpWBYOM594jk_6XGCs/edit?usp=sharing (Work In Progress)
Floats Away Easily, Huragok, Blasto the hanar Spectre expy.

I got a bunch of older characters that could be updated to the latest rules version, which I might do later if I feel like it.

Anyway these are just a few possible character types and a few different play styles and a handful of personalities. Not to be cliche but the only limit here is your imagination.
We hit 70 subscribers to Halo Mythic! Not too shabby, especially seeing as we haven’t been too loud on what we’re doing.

Needless to say, all armor has been increased in protection, there is a new melee system being hammered out, Abilities that have long since lost their usefulness are gaining bumps, and tons of fixes have been made. Our devteam-only fixlist/changelist has the Preview 19 to Preview 20 Changelist at 3 full pages of fixes, changes, and additions.

Speaking of additions, a new cut-content vehicle has been added to the system, the UNSC Kodiak Heavy APC. This vehicle is an armored personnel carrier that can, at default, carry 8 passengers, two gunners, and a driver. There are three armaments, an anti-infantry machine gun-covered variant, an anti-tank single 90mm smooth bore variant, and an EMP cannon built for anti-air, allowing the vehicle to drop aerial vehicles out of the sky.
Needless to say, I am hard at work building and fixing content, while my team is giving ideas, finding new content, and attempting to find balance and errors. And like always, every preview is a little more stable than the last.

Preview 20 is no different, as it is seeing the absolute most changes to the system that any Preview has seen, before. I trust it will be worth the wait, once the Preview is out. Give me time, everyone, I can only do so much!

Thanks, everyone! And most importantly, thank you Bungie, 343 Industries, and Microsoft!
Hello everyone. I know keeping Character information can be a pain, and someone by the name of TheAndyMan777 made an editable, savable Character Sheet PDF! Give him a big thanks and a round of applause, because this is incredibly helpful!

Here is the link:
https://www.reddit.com/r/HaloMythic/comments/3jetbs/we_couldnt_find_a_pdf_version_of_the_character/
Hello, everyone! Just letting you all know that Halo Mythic hit its 3rd year anniversary! I've been building Halo Mythic (then known as Halo Universe), since September 24th, 2012. Amazing, huh? Slowly building, balancing, changing, overhauling, etc. 3 Years, that blows my mind.

Hope everyone likes what they've seen, so far, as I continue to build this the best I can. And yes, all the new toys from Halo 5 will eventually find their war into the system!
Vorked wrote:
WHAT IS HALO MYTHIC?
Halo Mythic is my attempt to be the most all-inclusive Halo Tabletop RPG possible. The system is built off of a D100 System, BRP, which has been heavily customized and completely altered for over two years, turning it into a standalone system where opposed rolls and equipment play a massive part into how everything flows. Halo Mythic uses this system, coined as 100DOS, as its core for a more balanceable and understandable system. This system mainly runs on D10, D100, and Percentile, giving a simplified rolling mechanic that shouldn’t take too much time to master.
Halo Mythic attempts to bring anything and everything from all of the games, books, comics, graphic novels, background stories, shorts, and terminals. If it was mentioned, we’re working toward building on it. We’re going live with the system fully, now, after 3 years of work and rebuilding. I’m doing so in order to get the most amount of opinions, critiques, ideas, suggestions, and fixes as possible, for a stable release.

What does all-inclusive mean? Every weapon, every vehicle, every race, every combat role. If we have a possibility of using or creating it, we’ll try our best. This means that when playing, you have tools to be anything you want, do anything you want, and become anything you want. If you survive, that is.

Preview versions are versions between “Releases,” which are stable system milestones. Each version released is a more stable variant than the last, almost always adding new content and balances. Each Preview has a changelist and a fixlist that is built upon by my work and the assistance of the fans of Halo and my small team of helpers. Preview 19 has just recently released, adding in the building blocks of ship combat (a lot of placeholders and unfinished content, the system is viewable to allow assistance to improve it), Covenant and Human rank and order system, and survival rules.

We have a subreddit, too. We use the subreddit in order to collect opinions and fixes for the system. Suggestions are important to us. Remember that. Your opinion truly does matter. I’ve put 3 years of my heart and soul into this, and without everyone who helps, reads, and plays it, it’d all be for nothing. Thank you all for even giving it a look through. Thank you so much.

Subreddit:

The sidebar of the subreddit contains the Download, Character sheet, Changelist, and suggestions. I hope you all can share your suggestions and ideas here, too. It would mean a lot to me.

I don’t feel proper linking to direct downloads within this post, unless a moderator tells me it is fine. For now, everything is in the sidebar and the sticky post.
What do you all think?
Can i join this roleplay i am in need of a new roleplay group.
Doc: Can i join this roleplay i am in need of a new roleplay group.

Red vs Blue Universe is open for enlistment, so rejoin them.
How do I get more info on this halo RPG I'd like to maybe try it out with some friends and was wondering if you guys have the information for me to start my own league. Just wondering where I can get the information.
It sounds like a great game but I would like to know is there going to be playable elites it will be a great idea in a halo rpg and will it be free that will make it cooler to play.
As this is quite an old topic with not much interaction and there are other active RP topics that are active, going to close this off. OP is welcome to send me a PM if they would like to open it up again.