Waypoint link issues

OP AshamanND

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
AshamanND wrote:
Pluto70, I think that the trend we are noticing is that this arcade machine has a few more bells and whistles than the average employee cares to deal with.

If we want the best arcade experience possible, we need to contact the location GM, before visiting. Get them to respond in writing that it worksThen if it doesn't work when we visit, ask for our money back or additional free play time..
I actually mentioned in my survey to them that I came specifically for that. The assistant general manager emailed me with his phone and said to call him whenever I return so I can "have an exceptional gaming experience on us." So that is nice.
Had issues with my linking at the Marietta, Ga location. It said I was linked while playing through the campaign and after I got done, it showed none of my stats saved. 343i did tell me that I linked and unlinked it when I was playing, but I swear it was linked.
Dave and Busters at the palasades mall in rockland county nyack ny.
problem:
None of the scaners work, i wasnt able to upload my progress. Played on 10-13-2018 at 6:45 pm. Played co op with a friend. We beat all 6 missions i just left my phone on top on the code scanner to scan into waypoint and gave it 8 hrs to upload and nothing happend.
UPDATE:

Made another visit to D&B, this time in Auburn Washington on Sunday, October 21, 2018.
Went with TheGrandLunar and some other friends.

Only player one could link their profile at this particular location.
All stats seem to be appearing properly on Waypoint for both of us, for our playthroughs as player one. This now includes 6/6 missions completed and the Silhouette being filled in.

1 issue remains - my stats do not show on the global leaderboards.
Here is a link to a photo I took of my total playthrough score. If you check the leaderboards and scroll down to that score - my GT isn't there.
Dynasty91 wrote:
location: Dave and Busters at the palasades mall in rockland county nyack ny.
problem:None of the scaners work, i wasnt able to upload my progress. Played on 10-13-2018 at 6:45 pm. Played co op with a friend. We beat all 6 missions i just left my phone on top on the code scanner to scan into waypoint and gave it 8 hrs to upload and nothing happend.
Did you ever see your gamertag on screen during your play session?
If not, then for sure it didn't link.
Thanks for tagging me, I will try to raise this to the right people.
Thanks for tagging me, I will try to raise this to the right people.
My thanks for taking notice!
This thread ended up with a bunch of different info, so I thought I would summarize my observations, in case my intent has been lost a little.

It seems like there are two basic issues:
  1. The arcade operators are required to set things up. This is often not happening at all, or if it is happening, it is perhaps only partially complete.
    It would be great if there were a couple of people at 343i who had the ability to 'guide' arcade owners to better represent the Halo brand (read: Put pressure on them!!!).
    Arcade owners not running the initial setup, or neglecting maintenance, seems to be (IMO) the single biggest issue with the linking to Waypoint.
  2. For many people, the link 'works' but does not track all the stats/data. There are 3 persistent issues that I can tell.
    -There may be some data for each mission (kills and accuracy and such), but no silhouette.
    -Also, the 'mission progress' would read 0/6..-High scores might not be making it into the leaderboards on Waypoint.
    This has been seen even during 'story mode'.
From a consumer standpoint, I have no idea how the data and stats tracking actually works. Does the data go directly from the cabinet to MS/343 servers? Is it stored locally and batch uploaded? Does it go to RawThrills/Play Mechanix first, and then to Waypoint? I've even heard of some other type of online service (CoinUp?) that Raw Thrills uses? I'm not sure.

I hope this helps!
UPDATE:

I was able to get in touch with the folks at RawThrills/Play Mechanix, and here was their response regarding stats tracking/setup:

Quote:
All of the stat tracking goes directly to Microsoft/343 through there Halo Waypoint website. For the Halo cabinets online features to function properly the operator needs to connect his cabinet to the internet and register his game to coinup.com. There is no cost to register a Halo Fire Team Raven on coinup.com or any monthly fees. Hope this helps.
While it's great to hear that the arcade owners don't need to pay for a subscription service (this might provide incentive the smaller shops to get it hooked up and running), I find it hard to believe that the data goes DIRECTLY to Microsoft/343. I mean, why wouldn't it be a signup/subscription to MS in some way?

I think probably what happens is that coinup is a flow-through space for the data.

I imagine if there are issues with the coinup servers/system at any given point in time, the data won't get transmitted to Halo Waypoint.

/end musing

[EDIT]

After the initial response from Play Mechanix, I got an additional response from Joel who is their senior manager of software development:
Quote:
Hi Craig,

Just wanted to clarify a few points here:

If you are not able to log in with your QR code, then there could be several reasons. The first is that there could be networking issues at the location. The second reason could be problems with the camera inside the scanner. In both cases, you will have to talk to a tech at the location.

The data does go through Play Mechanix's server, but it is purely a pass-through. For security reasons, it's easier to have the games connect to our server and then have our server connect to Microsoft's server. Our server does not alter any of the data. It just simply verifies that the data is coming from an actual Halo arcade machine, records a timestamp, passes it on to Microsoft, then ensures that their server sends an acknowledgement back that they received the data. Everything after that is purely on Microsoft's end.

It is true that in order for the stat tracking to work, the arcade operator needs to connect and register with CoinUp. However, as Roberto mentioned, for Halo we do not charge anything. They can connect Fireteam Raven for free.

Lastly, if you noticed discrepancies between what you think you scored and what you see on Waypoint, that was probably due to some bugs in earlier versions of software. We have been rolling out the latest version to as many cabinets as possible, but it can sometimes take a while before all connected games get updated. In addition, just because a machine is new to a location does not mean it is on the latest software. These games get built and shipped many months ago, so the only way to be sure is the operator needs to connect to CoinUp and eventually the system will ensure it's on the latest software. The current version is 1.08. Anything less than that and there's a chance that the stats will not tabulate correctly when you view them on Waypoint.

Thanks,
Joel
So, if you really really want to make sure your stats will track before playing, talk to the GM and Tech person at whichever arcade you will be playing.
  1. Ask them if they have hooked up the QR scanners, signed up to coinup for free, and tested them.
  2. Ask them to check the software version of the game. It should be 1.08 or later.
Hopefully this helps everyone get their stats!
I don't know if my query matches with the topic, but how do you know if your QR tag has been scanned and how is it supposed to be scanned (from the screen or the camera of the mobile device you have)? I live not far from the Happy Valley, Oregon D&B and have played Fireteam Raven today 10/25/2018.
I don't know if my query matches with the topic, but how do you know if your QR tag has been scanned and how is it supposed to be scanned (from the screen or the camera of the mobile device you have)? I live not far from the Happy Valley, Oregon D&B and have played Fireteam Raven today 10/25/2018.
You need to have generated the QR code here, on HaloWaypoint first, by going to your service record for Fireteam Raven.

Then, you would see the QR code on HaloWaypoint.

You would load the HaloWaypoint page on your phone's browser to have the QR code you generated visible on your phone screen.

After you put in your credits at the arcade terminal, you would put your phone screen face down on the QR code scanner that is in front of each seat (I suppose just the seat you are in) of the arcade cabinet.

If done correctly, you'll see a welcome message with your gamertag appear on the Fireteam Raven screen.
Also, at the end of each mission during the 'carnage report', instead of the in-game character name, your gamertag will be there.
Also also, your gamertag is usually visible at the top of the Fireteam Raven screen during gameplay.

Hope this helps.
(You can check your profile on Waypoint and see if stats were uploaded)

Did you play story mode, or mission select?
How many mission did you play?
Which player # where you? (1-4?)
AshamanND wrote:
You need to have generated the QR code here, on HaloWaypoint first, by going to your service record for Fireteam Raven.

Then, you would see the QR code on HaloWaypoint.

You would load the HaloWaypoint page on your phone's browser to have the QR code you generated visible on your phone screen.

After you put in your credits at the arcade terminal, you would put your phone screen face down on the QR code scanner that is in front of each seat (I suppose just the seat you are in) of the arcade cabinet.

If done correctly, you'll see a welcome message with your gamertag appear on the Fireteam Raven screen.
Also, at the end of each mission during the 'carnage report', instead of the in-game character name, your gamertag will be there.
Also also, your gamertag is usually visible at the top of the Fireteam Raven screen during gameplay.

Hope this helps.
(You can check your profile on Waypoint and see if stats were uploaded)

Did you play story mode, or mission select?
How many mission did you play?
Which player # where you? (1-4?)
Okay. I did all those steps one by one like you and the instructions said in the Overview, but it did not show a "Welcome" message. I played the green ODST first, nothing worked, then went to blue. I don't think it worked there either. I played Story mode through the end by the way, ranking into 16th place, and at which point I put "AJC" up on screen. So it must be a scanning issue that the employees need to fix the next time I visit and I guess even all that work I put in won't give me any rewards since it looked like nothing happened.
AshamanND wrote:
[SNIP]
Okay. I did all those steps one by one like you and the instructions said in the Overview, but it did not show a "Welcome" message. I played the green ODST first, nothing worked, then went to blue. I don't think it worked there either. I played Story mode through the end by the way, ranking into 16th place, and at which point I put "AJC" up on screen. So it must be a scanning issue that the employees need to fix the next time I visit and I guess even all that work I put in won't give me any rewards since it looked like nothing happened.
I think it's not hooked up there.

You're only option is to talk to the GM personally and get them to deal with it.
D&B staff seem to be notoriously unmotivated to do anything about it. I wouldn't expect it to 'be fixed' all on it's own before your next visit.

I'd suggest you email them, and get something in writing.
Because if you are going to pay ~$20 each time, you should be able to enjoy the linking feature. If they tell you, in writing, that it works - and then you go there and it doesn't - that is course for a refund, in my mind.

Best of luck!
Me too i need help
AshamanND wrote:
Spoiler:
Show
Me too i need help
Did you read the rest of the forum thread?
What do you specifically need help with?
Posted in my edited OP, but also here, because I know some people skip right to the end of a thread.

[UPDATE 12/6/18]
I played the game on November 16, 2018 at Castle Fun Park near my home (thank god one opened up in BC)
After completing missions here, the Silhouette was working, and so was the 6/6 missions complete. The Leaderboards were not.

I just went to look at my service record again today (12/6/18), and then clicked on the leaderboards.
It appears that the leaderboards are now functioning as intended. Any of the leaderboard trackers will show your own placing at the top, and also in sequence.ex. I am currently ranked 33rd for mission 1 score. When I choose that leaderboard, it shows my name at the top, placed 33rd, with a score of 3710. Next it shows the first place person, Raze35 with a score of 5140. If I scroll down and click on 'load more' my score also appears in the appropriate place at 33rd.I looked at a few other leaderboard lists, and this seems to be working everywhere.

MoreInfoNeeded - I am not sure if this is as a result of you escalating this to others or not, but either way - THANK YOU!
Thank you for taking the time to have a look at this, and thank you to everyone who has commented in this thread.I think everything is now functioning as intended, as long as the arcade owner has:
  • Hooked their machine up to the internet
  • Signed up to CoinUp
  • Downloaded the latest patch to the arcade
  • Hardwired the QR scanner properly
I would consider this issue resolved - but please feel free to keep this thread open for anyone still having difficulties.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3