Forums / Games / Halo Wars: Definitive Edition

Halo Wars: DE - Standalone Release on April 20th

OP ske7ch

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
All Units! We're excited to announce that this Thursday, April 20th, Halo Wars: Definitive Edition will be available as a standalone purchase on Xbox One, Windows 10, and Steam! Featuring improved graphics, new Achievements, and all original DLC, Halo Wars: DE delivers action-packed warfare on an epic scale and will be available for the first time outside of the Halo Wars 2: Ultimate Edition bundle.

Jump in and check out the beginnings of the Human-Covenant war and experience the RTS classic in a whole new light beginning April 20th. See you on the battlefield!
Good Move! 👍
I approve this steam decision!

Edit: With further thought, I like the steam move but maybe a steam announcement a few months in advanced would've been smart.
Will steam players get to play win 10 players? If not Im going to be upset
Network play for this product is exclusive to Steam. Cross-play with Windows Store versions of the same game is not supported.¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Network play for this product is exclusive to Steam. Cross-play with Windows Store versions of the same game is not supported.¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Wow way to kill the win 10 version
You kill the windows 10 version and your Play Anywhere program, what was also the highest priority for halo wars 2.
sooooo stuuuup.......

You make great updates and dlcs, but this is the worst thing ever. Now we have 3 playerbases, while one playerbase already need the other.
Now we can choose if we buy expensive games for an isolated network or whether we buy it for the half and get it with a large playerbase.

Make Cross-Play to an EXCLUSIVE & OPTIONAL FEATURE - and save the future of XBL games on PC!
I don't think that you want a new "Games for Windows" disaster.
You kill the windows 10 version and your Play Anywhere program, what was also the highest priority for halo wars 2.
sooooo stuuuup.......

You make great updates and dlcs, but this is the worst thing ever. Now we have 3 playerbases, while one playerbase already need the other.
Now we can choose if we buy expensive games for an isolated network or whether we buy it for the half and get it with a large playerbase.

Make Cross-Play to an EXCLUSIVE & OPTIONAL FEATURE - and save the future of XBL games on PC!I don't think that you want a new "Games for Windows" disaster.
That or allow win 10 users to play steam users. It's not that hard of a concept.
sooooo stuuuup.......

Make Cross-Play to an EXCLUSIVE & OPTIONAL FEATURE - and save the future of XBL games on PC!I don't think that you want a new "Games for Windows" disaster.
That or allow win 10 users to play steam users. It's not that hard of a concept.
I think it's intentional. It's like a 'punishment', if you will, for playing on steam when you can do more on Windows Store.

Honestly I personally don't mind. Steam probably has a bigger player base anyway.
"and Steam". Another reason why people should not buy an Xbox console. Really. And inb4: instead of damage controlling, fans should be demanding.
sooooo stuuuup.......

They would need a "rare" deal for it, because you can say that they normally don't allow other networks in their own network.
Sure, there are exceptions like rocket league which made a special deal, but it's stated anywhere in the rules of steam/mircosoft/playstation/google/apple/nintendo and co.

XBL Cross-Play is an cheaper and more likely option. And i think that more games will go this steam-path, because it seems that they give now a -Yoink- about Play Anywhere. It's useless and way more expensive without Crossplay between XBL.
sooooo stuuuup.......

I think it's intentional. It's like a 'punishment', if you will, for playing on steam when you can do more on Windows Store.

Honestly I personally don't mind. Steam probably has a bigger player base anyway.
It shouldn't be an punishment, it should be a reason why you choose a more expensive version in a sperate network instead of the cheap steam version. That's why Cross-Play should be an XBL feature.
And most PC players haven't a xbox one, so they have no reason to buy it via win10.... the result are 100 guys who are the whole day stucked in matchmaking.
There is also no more reason to buy a digitally xbox one version if you have prefered it to get the pc version... why should you pay more, when there are anyway nearly no pc-players in some modes and a second, bigger, pc-playerbase? Pay less and grab a early released disc version.
Why is it that a game published by Microsoft can't have servers that allow networking with another PC edition. By not allowing cross-platform with XBONE users Microsoft and 343i have dealt a killing blow to an already struggling PC release. Nearly everyone will buy the Steam version if they haven't already gotten the Windows Store version solely because that's where the larger community is. I'm happy I got Halo Wars 2 in a nice box, but I think it's unfair blindly loyal sheep like me should be locked out of the actual games community. It's like they want to shoot themselves in the foot.
The no cross-play SUCKS from a PC perspective. I can't find Halo Wars 2 matches and I doubt I could find Halo Wars matches even after they release it.
MetsM6986 wrote:
The no-cross play SUCKS from a PC perspective. I can't find Halo Wars 2 matches and I doubt I could find Halo Wars matches even after they release it.
This! Once steam release hits. It will basically be the nail in the coffin for win 10 version. Since it will have no playerbase. We need cross play with eother steam or the xbox communities. Having it fractured into 3 groups is dumb.
does this means the old leaderboards are finally coming back plssss ?? , also the few achievements bugged reported , that's all it's missing from the old days for HW1
I was considering buying Halo Wars 2: Ultimate Edition on the Windows Store, but then this gets announced, if I buy it now, will I get a key to the Steam version or am I forced to buy it there, again?
I was considering buying Halo Wars 2: Ultimate Edition on the Windows Store, but then this gets announced, if I buy it now, will I get a key to the Steam version or am I forced to buy it there, again?
Sadly again...
Because the steam version is a 100% steam version... And no one at steam knows that you already own hw2ue, because they don't want a connection to xbl and ppl should buy it again (users & money.... steam gets also a good part of the store income)

Everyone who buy the halo wars 2 ultimate edition will get the xbl version of hwde... That's nice for singleplayer but really bad for the multiplayer, at least in long term (and as long as you haven't a Xbox One). Reasons see above... Cross-Play is really needed - also for hw2 because we can see that a dx12-steam version of this game is coming too.
Sounds like a drama queen but: Whoever has planned this at 343/ms should be fired, he has destroyed a lot of work and faith for the store, the XBL@Win10 and the PA program... just with one idea or failed deal.
Why would anyone want crossplay on a RTS keyboard and mouse would smash controller...
So let me get this straight.

If I buy the Windows Store version, so I can also play it on my Xbox One, and my friend who buys it on Steam; you are saying that both him and myself can not play each other, even if we are both playing on the PC?

Microsoft, you guys need to get your crap together. It is reasons like this why "Games for Windows" sucked and failed. There is ABSOLUTELY ZERO reason why this can not be patched after release, even if the game is released this way.
Why would anyone want crossplay on a RTS keyboard and mouse would smash controller...
blahblub... that's not more than an additional excuse for own failures, based on stereotypes and overestimation of the own abilities. it's like saying: cheater, sprayer, camper, laaag, and so on and on.
there are people like me who play everything with controller... and everything is fine.
and it should be an optional feature. mark this option or not.... people will see how well it works.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2