Forums / Games / Halo Wars: Definitive Edition

Halo Wars Legend Run - Mission: Reactor is a Pain

OP Blodhgarm92

Most of these missions seem to have a basic goal and nothing too complex. Reactor tasks you with hauling a large nuclear reactor bomb via Elephants to the far end of the battlefield. The main issue is, you don't really have enough time to prepare your units and get them strong enough to start to press up the first ramp before you already come under fire. I've seen people saying: "First of all - take your time. The enemy isn't going to attack you unless you attack him at his base." To this, I say it's complete bullsh*t.

Within 5 minutes of me starting the mission and hooking an Elephant to the core to move it, I am attacked by several Vampires, Wraiths, Hunters and Locusts...and the core gets destroyed. So I figured, maybe it's a thing where as soon as you hook an Elephant to the core, the enemy will start attacking...wrong. On my second attempt, I left the core alone until I was ready to start moving it...but about 5-6 minutes later, the enemy showed up and blew the core up anyway.

On my third attempt, I decided to hook an Elephant up to it right away and move it behind my base and away from danger until I was ready to move out with stronger forces. And while, this lasted much longer, there was still nothing I could do. About 6 minutes in, a mix of Vampires, Wraiths, Hunters and Locusts started attacking my forces, but I managed to hold them off. After about two more attacks (roughly 8 minutes later) they sent a Scarab. I took heavy casualties but managed to take it out. Started to rebuild my forces again, only to have another mix of Vampires, Wraiths, Hunters, and Locusts attack, knocking out more of my still rather injured forces from the Scarab. Now, I am about 22-23 minutes in...finally starting to get a substantial force to press up the ramp when a second Scarab attacks, wiping out what forces I had and started melting my base. Seeing as it had several Locusts, Wraiths and Hunters with it....any unit I built was destroyed in seconds after stepping onto the battlefield.

This mission is completely ridiculous on Legendary...even with using skulls to aid me. You can't really rush from the start because your units aren't that strong (you only start with a Gauss Hog with Forge, 2 un-upgraded Wolverines, 3 Spartans that is about it.) and you can't take too much time to upgrade your units because the enemy just sends a Scarab to demolish you. The enemy's forces are way to OP on legendary...especially the Locusts. Their range is ridiculous and they can attack any unit or structure you have well before coming into range of your units or defense turrets. And once the Locusts start attacking, moving your forces up to attack them, brings you into range of all their other units

Does anyone have any valuable tips for how to make this a little easier on myself and make completing this mission a little more achievable?
Don't build an elephant and hook up to the core. Build an army, march up the hill with it, wipe out all opposition, then send your elephant up once all enemies are killed.
Once again, I have to recommend Seaguard.
And once again I end up figuring it out before someone can reply. Now I am stuck on the final level.
Tank spam, my dude. The tanks will set you free. As for the last level, spam hawks. Build hornets to defend your bases until they're fully upgraded, then attack HARD. Once you've reached this point in the mission, NOTHING CAN STOP YOU.
Tank spam, my dude. The tanks will set you free. As for the last level, spam hawks. Build hornets to defend your bases until they're fully upgraded, then attack HARD. Once you've reached this point in the mission, NOTHING CAN STOP YOU.
I have already finished this a long time ago. By the time someone even replied with the first comment, I had already figured it out at least for the original mission I posted about. And I already beat the game on legendary before you replied. But thank you for the reply anyway.
I have already finished this a long time ago. By the time someone even replied with the first comment, I had already figured it out at least for the original mission I posted about. And I already beat the game on legendary before you replied. But thank you for the reply anyway.
I already wrote that comment a long time ago. By the time someone even quoted my comment, I had already forgotten I wrote it, and I already put it behind me before you replied :P

I know, it wasn’t until I finished writing that comment that I bothered to check the date. Whoops.
I already wrote that comment a long time ago. By the time someone even quoted my comment, I had already forgotten I wrote it, and I already put it behind me before you replied :P

I know, it wasn’t until I finished writing that comment that I bothered to check the date. Whoops.
I hadn't seen when you had replied. I think I had shut off notifications and then checked this thread not even realizing I had started this one until I read through it all.