Forums / Games / Halo Wars: Definitive Edition

Halo Wars, should I play it?!?

OP Cmacaveli

I'm a big time halo fan but am not big on strategy games. Is this something I could still get into?
It's entirely your choice. I used to be an FPS only guy, but now I'm also an RTS guy. My friend gave me his Halo Wars copy, then I bought it when it came on Steam. Recently bought Halo Wars 2 (Complete Edition) and I loved every single bit of it. Before HW2, I stepped forward more and played Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion, especially because of the Halo mod, Sins of the Prophets. No regrets. I loved both the game and the mod. I also tried out Lambda Wars, a Half-Life RTS game developed by fans. Currently free on Steam in active development.
For as complex as RTS games may be, if you learn the ropes and watch professionals playing it, you will eventually get the hang of it... or not, who knows.
Again, it's entirely up to you, but I'll say that Halo Wars, despite having some... balance issues, can still be pretty enjoyable and story is great.
Halo Wars in my opinion is definitely worth it. It's a "easy" RTS essentially, unless you play it on legendary then forget anything about it being easy.
Halo Wars 2 is a whole another beast though, while in my opinion it's legendary mode is a whole lot easier then Halo Wars 1's legendary, multiplayer wise it's so much harder. That's why I'm glad they added in a 3vAI's mode into the multiplayer mode so you can get used to it.
Cmacaveli wrote:
I'm a big time halo fan but am not big on strategy games. Is this something I could still get into?
Halo Wars is a game every Halo fan should play. You don't have to be good at the game but going through on Normal would be fine and it would allow you to go through the story. Multiplayer is a completely different beast and not for the faint of heart, especially in this day and age when only the biggest fans are still playing.

Definitely worth at least one play through, on Normal
Get it, the story is great and it has some epic cutscenes
Yes, it still holds up very well to this day. I had a great time with it. I'm not big on RTS either, but Ensemble did a fantastic job adapting the gameplay of an RTS to a controller. It might take a level or two to get used to the controls, but it's smooth sailing after that. Beyond that, the story is very cool and meets Halo standards and the graphics hold up well.
BlkMamba01 wrote:
Get it, the story is great and it has some epic cutscenes
That's what I'm saying. Going through the Campaign is worth it just for the cutscenes alone