Forums / Games / Halo Wars: Definitive Edition

Matchmaking Removed. Preorder cancelled

OP TommyDudeheadUK

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I have discovered that matchmaking has been completely removed from Halo Wars 1 Remaster that comes with HW2. It has been replaced with an old-school list of hosted matches that other players have created, that you must scroll through and join. This is absurd. This also means that any skill balancing between teams has also been removed.

The entire point of matchmaking is that you do not know which level you will be playing - It is neither team's decision and the uncertainty (and the fact you just press one button and the game sets everything up) is the joy of it.. It also means that you do not know who you will play against, giving the game an opportunity to balance the teams.

Due to this being removed I have cancelled my preorder. I honestly cannot believe you would remove one of the absolute core parts of functionality of a game you are creating the "definitive edition" of. I fear a repeat of the MCC travesty here, but hope I am wrong.
What was the reason they removed this?
KayMrt wrote:
I would argue, that the question isn't why it was removed, but rather why it hasn't been implemented yet.

My guess is they couldn't get matchmaking fully working in time for the release window, so they created the game browser as a quick fix while we wait for rank based matchmaking. After all the game is not officially released.
KayMrt wrote:
I would argue, that the question isn't why it was removed, but rather why it hasn't been implemented yet.

My guess is they couldn't get matchmaking fully working in time for the release window, so they created the game browser as a quick fix while we wait for rank based matchmaking. After all the game [u]is not officially released[/u].
Certainly isn't the first (or second) time 343 released a game not ready for release.
KayMrt wrote:

My guess is they couldn't get matchmaking fully working in time for the release window, so they created the game browser as a quick fix while we wait for rank based matchmaking. After all the game is not officially released.
I thought that too until I read the release notes which suggests it has been permanently replaced.

"In addition to the great campaign and multiplayer modes fans will remember, Halo Wars: Definitive Edition also features a new multiplayer session browser in place of the legacy matchmaking system. This allows players to create and join their favorite multiplayer, skirmish, or co-op campaign games quickly and easily on their preferred platform."
KayMrt wrote:
KayMrt wrote:

My guess is they couldn't get matchmaking fully working in time for the release window, so they created the game browser as a quick fix while we wait for rank based matchmaking. After all the game s not officially released.
Certainly isn't the first (or second) time 343 released a game not ready for release.
Come February if rank based matchmaking isn't implemented yet, the whole community can grab their pitchforks and torches, but at the moment I think it is too soon to judge HWDE multiplayer features (or lack thereof).
This is absolutely daft. Is this going to be the case for HW2 as well or just the HW remaster? Is this the work of Creative Assembly or 343 continuing with their 'let's continue to replace everything good about the Halo games, with crap things' agenda?
I have discovered that matchmaking has been completely removed from Halo Wars 1 Remaster that comes with HW2. It has been replaced with an old-school list of hosted matches that other players have created, that you must scroll through and join. This is absurd. This also means that any skill balancing between teams has also been removed.

The entire point of matchmaking is that you do not know which level you will be playing - It is neither team's decision and the uncertainty (and the fact you just press one button and the game sets everything up) is the joy of it.. It also means that you do not know who you will play against, giving the game an opportunity to balance the teams.

Due to this being removed I have cancelled my preorder. I honestly cannot believe you would remove one of the absolute core parts of functionality of a game you are creating the "definitive edition" of. I fear a repeat of the MCC travesty here, but hope I am wrong.
I don't know if this is 343 or Creative Assembly's doing but I'd guess at the former - owing to 343's continuing theme of 'everything we are associated turns to crap'.

Certainly won't bother with the Ultimate edition now, if they've removed it from HW2 as well, I won't bother with this game at all. So much for being one of the games I was most looking forward to. I've got that Halo 4 feeling all over again.....
Then why I can't see any games to choose from anyway? It still the same what it was... I wish it would be old school actually
KayMrt wrote:
hw died really fast
a little bit copy&paste from the other thread:

Based on the achievement tab of the official Xbox App, a few stats after around 8 years halo wars:
Only 2% have unlocked the general achievement (needed score: 960.000 lowered from 3.200.000 on nov.2009 - rank 8 of 8)
Only 9% have won a game on each map.
Only 2% have got a scarab during mp.
ONLY 12% have unlocked the second (2nd) rank lieutenant (needed score: 15.000 lowered from 90.000 - rank 2 of 8)
The other mp achievement values are 3, 4, 7, 12 and 32... the rest is 2%All mp achievements from hw are only between 2% and 32% (global unlocked) but you can't really count the 32% achievement because its the mp starter achievement - The percent value for more than the half of its mp achievements is 2%. (my only missing achievements are the one for coop and the general rank... because it was dead after i became brigadier. It was already dying when the first dlc came out)
You can recognise by how fast it is died.But here is a little summary:
  • 32% got the first rank, you get this rank after your first match..... so 32% of the hw playerbase has played it's multiplayer part... 12% got the second rank and only 2% got the last rank and the dlc achievements, because it was dead before they could unlock it. It is stated on wiki that hw was sold around 1 million times: So 2% are only 20.000 players and 32% only 320.000 players, distributed on different modes, dlcs, moments and timezones.
they have also lowered the required xp for the ranks after a few months (as you can see above), because they saw the lack of players and that it doesn't work.

in my opinion is this the main reason why there is no matchmaking and why there are noch achievements for highest rank etc.

it's also just a ultimate edt bonus as a transition for hw2... normally you get a skin for something like that.
check the other thread for more...https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/cde2182789f04f2c821fab101cb1c8d7/topics/if-the-server-browser-is-here-to-stay/2aeb458d-8845-4745-a28c-c5ec28bce2bc/posts

btw: why is it needed to start multiple threads for the same topic?
KayMrt wrote:
KayMrt wrote:

My guess is they couldn't get matchmaking fully working in time for the release window, so they created the game browser as a quick fix while we wait for rank based matchmaking. After all the game [u]is not officially released[/u].
It's not released yet.

I don't know if this is 343 or Creative Assembly's doing but I'd guess at the former - owing to 343's continuing theme of 'everything we are associated turns to crap'.

Certainly won't bother with the Ultimate edition now, if they've removed it from HW2 as well, I won't bother with this game at all. So much for being one of the games I was most looking forward to. I've got that Halo 4 feeling all over again.....
Seriously doubt they've removed the MM-system that was in place during the beta.
Call me a nay-sayer, but 343i did similar things in the MCC, and it will happen in Halo Wars as well. I seriously doubt they will add matchmaking.

On the plus side, getting into a match will probably be faster.
KayMrt wrote:

My theory parallels yours, in that they didn't add it in because this is early access. Thus they would have to do a complete leaderboards wipe and reset on launch which I think would upset people more.
At this point there is no incentive to win add that by release, remove the pausing or add a majority vote to pause I.e 4 out of 6 needs to vote for it.

That be a good compromise I be happy with.
KayMrt wrote:
KayMrt wrote:

As has been mentioned above, the game hasn't been released. Those who pre-order the HW2:UE get early access to the current build of HW:DE. 343 have said previously that this isn't the final version of it, just an 'early access' version.
I'm not saying they'll definitely be adding matchmaking in later on, but the game certainly isn't done so it's not unlikely. Regardless, why not hold out and play HW2? It will 101% have matchmaking :)
In another curious twist, they've also added the option to pause multiplayer games? It's the gift that keeps on giving....
In another curious twist, they've also added the option to pause multiplayer games? It's the gift that keeps on giving....
pause was always available if you host a game and so on ;)
Pause has only ever been an option in private matches, there are some glitches that you can use if you are host, but those were never intended to be there unlike the definitive edition where it is a listed function.
msq2 wrote:
Pause has only ever been an option in private matches, there are some glitches that you can use if you are host, but those were never intended to be there unlike the definitive edition where it is a listed function.
The definitive edition is the one I'm moaning about. I've been a regular Halo Wars player and am in that small 2% that has reached General rank. How they can call it a definitive edition when it's worse than the original is beyond anybody with any sanity. Why not just upgrade the graphics and leave everything else that was absolutely fine.. but no, it's a Halo game - there has to be meddling where it's not needed and to the detriment of the game.
343i has already stated in their release notes that the new matchmaking system replaces the old one:

"In addition to the great campaign and multiplayer modes fans will remember, Halo Wars: Definitive Edition also features a new multiplayer session browser in place of the legacy matchmaking system. This allows players to create and join their favorite multiplayer, skirmish, or co-op campaign games quickly and easily on their preferred platform."

EARLY ACCESS is different from BETA ACCESS; The game is finished, we just get to play it early because of our preorder. Also, as I understand it, the programming terminology "Definitive Edition" means that the game will not be updated, changed, or even sometimes supported, as it is the final version of the game. Unlike MCC, 343i has no obligation to change any aspect of HWDE post-release. I find it hard to believe that sometime after everyone gets their access on February 21st, 343i will magically come out with some huge update that makes the multiplayer system totally different -- which by the way is the most complicated, expensive, and development-time-consuming part of their video game.

No, honestly I think 343i thought of HWDE as a side note to HW2 and got stingy with their pocket book. It seems just like them to take advantage of high demand and then massacre the launch date with broken promises. What they're doing here is a massive disappointment, but I suppose I can't really complain because they didn't have to give us anything at all. It's a free goodie for doing business.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2