Forums / Games / Halo Wars: Definitive Edition

One of the worst RTS campaign I have ever played

OP Zeevs86

The first few missions were great. Then after a half of the game, especially the 2 copy paste levels on the ship, I felt like the other half of the campaign is rushed, unpolished, SMALL, and boring.
Is this comes from the same Ensemble Studios that brought us gems like Age of Empires and Age of Mythology series? Really?
I am still thinking if I should cancel my preorder of the second game that will be released in one week.
What do you guys think? Do you have other opinion on this campaign? Do you think that the second game will be better?
Ensemble Studios isn't making the sequel, Creative Assembly is. I'd say it's worth a rental at least.
Creative Assembly is making Halo Wars 2. They make the Total War series similar in a way to Age of Empires. Halo Wars 2 seems to focus deeply on the story and with your ultimate edition you'll have access to campaign dlc they are adding in later. I say keep it and give it a shot
I personally enjoyed the campaign for Halo wars. The gameplay was good, the missions had decent variations, and the cutscenes had visuals that took till halo 4 for other Xbox 360 games to match the quality of.

I mean, of course it's not going to stand up to Age of Empires, it is a smaller scale game and it's clear the focus was on getting a good story for it, and maintaining balance in a game with asymmetric units (the only similar units were the generic scouts and generic infantry of each faction and leader). Age of Empires had all symmetric units (IE everyone had similar units with minor stat changes) with a couple of specific units which makes it easier to balance.

And knowing Microsoft the game was likely pushed out the door early so that they could have a decent RTS on console (since at the time the only decent RTS on console was C&C Kanes wrath), not to mention to try and feed off the success of Halo 3.

I don't think Halo Wars was a bad game by any means, sure it would have been nice if they expanded it a little further, but they had to work within the confines of the Halo universe so if they added too much it may have upset some of the Halo fanbase.
Zeevs86 wrote:
What do you guys think? Do you have other opinion on this campaign?
I don't know what you are talking about.

Halo Wars was the best RTS for console so far, especially if you are a Halo fan. The campaign has a great story, has a creative base- and building system and balanced units, as well as missions rich in variety.

Also, the cutscenes were absolutely magnificent, both with regard to their looks and their content.

I understand that different people have a different taste when it comes to games, but I honestly cannot understand how you can call the Halo Wars campaign "one of the worst RTS campaign" that you have ever played. Maybe if you have only played the handful of the very best RTS games on PC in your life, then this can be true.
Ensemble Studios doesn't exist anymore. As everyone said, HW2 is being made by Creative Assembly, who made Total War and Alien Isolation (neither of which have I played).
Ensemble Studios doesn't exist anymore. As everyone said, HW2 is being made by Creative Assembly, who made Total War and Alien Isolation (neither of which have I played).
Both are great games. I have all of the confidence that Halo Wars 2's campaign will outshine its predecessor.
Naw it was kewl.
It was a pretty good campaign. Looking forward to HW2.:D
Zeevs86 wrote:
The first few missions were great. Then after a half of the game, especially the 2 copy paste levels on the ship, I felt like the other half of the campaign is rushed, unpolished, SMALL, and boring.
Is this comes from the same Ensemble Studios that brought us gems like Age of Empires and Age of Mythology series? Really?
I am still thinking if I should cancel my preorder of the second game that will be released in one week.
What do you guys think? Do you have other opinion on this campaign? Do you think that the second game will be better?
... Ensemble went out of business.. You didn't know? It's CA now.

And yeah. At least two of the missions did feel like copies, but I thought it was pretty great still.
You should get the alien game for WII. I'm sure it's just the best.

(total sarcasm alert) but yeah. Honestly why. Why release a game like alien for the Wii? It just doesent work.

(total sarcasm alert) but yeah. Honestly why. Why release a game like alien for the Wii? It just doesent work.
lol, I didn't even know it was on the Wii.
Campaign was great for me, with some replayability to find all skulls and get all achievements
I really enjoyed the campaign, especially the cutscenes.

lol, I didn't even know it was on the Wii.
Yeah. It's terrible DX

alsp would explain anything wrong with wars 2 (lol) but I think it's pretty good from what I've seen so far