Forums / Games / Halo Wars: Definitive Edition

PC Population is dead, 343 won't add cross play.

OP Enratic

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
So Halo Wars Definitive Edition on PC has basically no players ever playing it, the max amount of lobbies I have seen on it is 5 at a time compared to 14 on the Xbox. Why won't 343 add cross play? Well they say there is an unfair advantage from keyboard and mouse and controller. This is the most BS statement I've heard, I use controller on PC and come out on top compared to some people granted not on every game but the ones I do well on how do you explain that? Easy, skill is a major factor, not keyboard/mouse or controller.

I want to play on PC because guess what!? Console edition gets some hard FPS drops once the battles get intense. Is that your reason for no cross play... FPS? Me and other PC players want cross play or some of us are going to cancel our pre orders. I love the game but I could stand not playing it since I do have the Limited Edition on Xbox 360.

I understand the game is in "Early Access" so I know the population will get higher at launch but at this moment the game is dead on PC.

Annnnnnnd this post is locked :)
Enratic wrote:
Well they say there is an unfair advantage from keyboard and mouse and controller. This is the most BS statement I've heard, I use controller on PC and come out on top compared to some people granted not on every game but the ones I do well on how do you explain that? Easy, skill is a major factor, not keyboard/mouse or controller.
Someone playing with a controller can beat someone playing with a mouse and keyboard. No one denies that. However, if both players are of equal skill, the PC player will be favored. Your anecdotal evidence falls flat when you compare the highest possible APM on console RTSs to PC RTSs.

Enratic wrote:
Annnnnnnd this post is locked :)
That would be because we've all been over this many times before.
Cross play has been tried in games before and it was a -Yoink- show.

Honestly, if they did add it in, I'd probably cancel my preorder. I'm sure I'm not the only person who feels this way either.

Honestly, if they did add it in, I'd probably cancel my preorder. I'm sure I'm not the only person who feels this way either.
So in Gears of War 4 there was a cross play event where console could go up against PC. Console players were tearing -Yoink- on some great PC players. In Halo Wars there really is no "accuracy", selecting units is not difficult on a controller and if people really think keyboard/mouse is easier on Halo Wars IT IS NOT. The keyboard/mouse support is clunky. You have to hold ALT+Move mouse left/right to turn which and only go as wide as your screen so you have to repeatedly do it. Controller you can just turn with ease. Using WASD to move the camera around sucks because it is not accurate and using the map to move the camera can be a pain.

Console players need to play on PC to see how -Yoink- the game feels on keyboard and mouse, most the players I talked to on PC do not like how the game feels on keyboard and mouse and so they use a controller like mwa!
Quote:
Someone playing with a controller can beat someone playing with a mouse and keyboard. No one denies that. However, if both players are of equal skill, the PC player will be favored. Your anecdotal evidence falls flat when you compare the highest possible APM on console RTSs to PC RTSs.
Yea this isn't command & conquer, a game that has great PC controls. Halo Wars controls on keyboard and mouse are not that great. It feels like trying to play an emulator of the Xbox 360 game and having to use extremely weird key binds to get your camera around and it doesn't move as smooth as the controller. It takes time to get used to keyboard/mouse of course but it is still not as much as of an advantage as everyone is making it out to be.

Go play Halo Wars DE on PC with keyboard and mouse and tell me how it feels.
No cross play needed we need matchmaking back. Keep the custom game browser if they want bit matchmaking is essential.
No cross play needed we need matchmaking back. Keep the custom game browser if they want bit matchmaking is essential.
The population of Halo Wars DE isn't going to be high like it was when the original came out so the browser needs to stay in. Maybe a competitive playlist with one game mode but that's it. Cross play should at the absolute least be allowed in custom games & campaign. I wanna play campaign with friends and not get crap FPS, n the campaign frame rates go all over the damn place which is why I was hoping for cross play on PC.
Enratic wrote:
The population of Halo Wars DE isn't going to be high like it was when the original came out so the browser needs to stay in. Maybe a competitive playlist with one game mode but that's it. Cross play should at the absolute least be allowed in custom games & campaign. I wanna play campaign with friends and not get crap FPS, n the campaign frame rates go all over the damn place which is why I was hoping for cross play on PC.
Custom games no issue with cross play.

We need matchmaking the playerbase has declined even though more codes were sent out.

Server browser only is bad, server browser and natchmaking is good.
Enratic wrote:
Quote:
Yea this isn't command & conquer, a game that has great PC controls. Halo Wars controls on keyboard and mouse are not that great. It feels like trying to play an emulator of the Xbox 360 game and having to use extremely weird key binds to get your camera around and it doesn't move as smooth as the controller. It takes time to get used to keyboard/mouse of course but it is still not as much as of an advantage as everyone is making it out to be.
I don't have a computer that can run HW DE on PC. That said, it doesn't matter. I don't use my feelings as arguments. And when I do, I try my hardest to remain unbiased. Feelings have agendas. Numbers do not. The fact is, a mouse and keyboard allows for a higher APM. Responding with "I don't like the controls" doesn't refute anything. I just read an article where the writer praises the PC control scheme. I've even read criticisms of the C&C controls. It's a subjective thing. The objective thing here is that a higher APM equals a higher skill ceiling, which in turn gives PC players a significant advantage.

Quote:
Go play Halo Wars DE on PC with keyboard and mouse and tell me how it feels.
I'm not here to tell you how I feel. I'm here to tell you that you can't justify putting over half the population of the game at a disadvantage with an argument that revolves around your feelings. Everyone has feelings. If everyone argued using their feelings, this world would be one of fallacious relativism. Frankly, that's not a world I would want to live in.
Remember that the game has not fully launched yet. There will be a lot more people playing when it officially launches next month
I an with JSA, the definitive edition gets pretty boring after awhile because you rarely run into halfway decent players. A bunch of my friends who have have the defintive edition are the original since matchmaking makes the games much more fun.

Secondly I wouldn't be against crossplay for skirmish and co-op as long as console users could turn off the crossplay for PC users who use mouse and keyboard.
Enratic wrote:

So in Gears of War 4 there was a cross play event where console could go up against PC. Console players were tearing -Yoink- on some great PC players. In Halo Wars there really is no "accuracy", selecting units is not difficult on a controller and if people really think keyboard/mouse is easier on Halo Wars IT IS NOT. The keyboard/mouse support is clunky. You have to hold ALT+Move mouse left/right to turn which and only go as wide as your screen so you have to repeatedly do it. Controller you can just turn with ease. Using WASD to move the camera around sucks because it is not accurate and using the map to move the camera can be a pain.

Console players need to play on PC to see how -Yoink- the game feels on keyboard and mouse, most the players I talked to on PC do not like how the game feels on keyboard and mouse and so they use a controller like mwa!
And we also experienced aim botters in GoW4 on the PC front.

Stock PC controls suck, but the great thing about PC is that you can remap them. I've mapped nearly everything to my mouse.
Enratic wrote:

Stock PC controls suck, but the great thing about PC is that you can remap them. I've mapped nearly everything to my mouse.
I'm -Yoink- with the quote thing ^^^^^

Aim botters in GOW4? Please let me see who was aim botting because from the many ganes I played during the cross play event no one was cheating.

Then use an Xbox One or Xbox 360 controller, they both work for Halo Wars DE and any other XINPUT game.
stckrboy wrote:
Remember that the game has not fully launched yet. There will be a lot more people playing when it officially launches next month
Yea I stated that there will be more players but knowing how PC players feel about the Microsoft store there won't be a huge jump like on Xbox. People were not happy with Windows Live Vista and now refuse to use Microsoft DRM anymore.
Quote:
I don't have a computer that can run HW DE on PC. That said, it doesn't matter. I don't use my feelings as arguments. And when I do, I try my hardest to remain unbiased. Feelings have agendas. Numbers do not. The fact is, a mouse and keyboard allows for a higher APM. Responding with "I don't like the controls" doesn't refute anything. I just read an article where the writer praises the PC control scheme. I've even read criticisms of the C&C controls. It's a subjective thing. The objective thing here is that a higher APM equals a higher skill ceiling, which in turn gives PC players a significant advantage.
It doesn't take much to run the game. THAT SAID you have never experienced both the Xbox and PC version of the game so how you make any arguments? Your just going off of what articles say and plz link them.

Quote:
I'm not here to tell you how I feel. I'm here to tell you that you can't justify putting over half the population of the game at a disadvantage with an argument that revolves around your feelings. Everyone has feelings. If everyone argued using their feelings, this world would be one of fallacious relativism. Frankly, that's not a world I would want to live in.
Then 343 should let Skirmish and Campaign be cross play so that Xbox players have no reason to complain. PC players just want more players to play with and we wouldn't mind not having matchmaking.
Matter of a fact once you pick to use mouse/keyboard or controller on Halo Wars you can NOT even switch on the fly mid game SO 343 could implement some way to have controller only on matchmaking which would make everyone happy. Well.... console players would still find a way to complain.
Enratic wrote:
Enratic wrote:

Aim botters in GOW4? Please let me see who was aim botting because from the many ganes I played during the cross play event no one was cheating.

Then use an Xbox One or Xbox 360 controller, they both work for Halo Wars DE and any other XINPUT game.
Try googling gow4 aim bot. It's pretty common knowledge lol
Enratic wrote:
Matter of a fact once you pick to use mouse/keyboard or controller on Halo Wars you can NOT even switch on the fly mid game SO 343 could implement some way to have controller only on matchmaking which would make everyone happy. Well.... console players would still find a way to complain.
They make such programs that can spoof your kbm to appear as a controller. People did it all the time in shadowrun.
Enratic wrote:
Enratic wrote:

Try googling gow4 aim bot. It's pretty common knowledge lol
I found one video showing aimbot in use. I'm sure other people use it to but all I have found is 5 videos of evidence. The others were from other gears of war games which were not on PC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wApU_i6vLPs
Enratic wrote:
They make such programs that can spoof your kbm to appear as a controller. People did it all the time in shadowrun.
Ummm Shadowrun is a PC game and the players wanted to map their controllers to emulate a mouse and keyboard. So whats the problem with that?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3