Forums / Games / Halo Wars: Definitive Edition

Windows Store Halo Wars Customers Got Scammed.

OP MackanMygga

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Microsoft scammed all Windows Store Halo Wars: Definitive Edition Customers.

As we all know, population for Halo on PC on the windows store are very low.

Halo: 5 Forge - 30~ Players
Halo Wars: 2 - 100~ Players
Halo Wars: Definitive Edition - 0 players.

And why is this? Because it's Windows 10 Exclusive. Simply are not enough people on Windows 10 who are interested in Halo. And Microsoft knew this.
I always wondered why they didn't release their Halo PC games on all OS. Or at least Windows 7 - 10. Now i get why. It's so that they could sell their games again on steam for windows 7 - 10 on the biggest PC gaming marketplace ever of all time.

And the kicker is: It's not cross play with windows store version. So everyone who bought Halo Wars: Definitive Edition for $80 now needs to pay $20 for the steam version to play the games multiplayer mode. As the windows store version has 0 players online. And as i said before. Microsoft knew this. This was their plan all along. There is NO good reason as to why it's not cross play with the windows store version. Only one bad one: So Microsoft can get people to repurchase their games.

So Halo Wars: Definitive Edition, was destined and planned to fail.

So i guess you could call it Halo Wars: Doomed Edition.

And Halo Wars: 1 on Steam is the real Halo Wars: Definitive Edition that they made sure to work perfectly. They also improved the graphics for it, i read. And not to mention the obvious. IT'S ON STEAM! That makes any PC port automatically 10/10.

Microsoft wanted us to brush it off as ''Oh they noticed that the Windows 10 Exclusive Version has a player population problem, so now they release it on steam, and only charge $20 for it? That's awesome'' When in reality that's far from their intentions. I feel really bad for people who even bought windows 10 for Halo on PC.

That's over $210. That's a big jump. From $20 - $210

Then if they buy the steam version, they've spend $230 in total.

All they need to do, to fix this. Make it cross play between Steam and Windows Store. Which they probably will when they notice sales on steam slowing down, after most people from Windows Store have switched over to steam.

So i advise you not to get the steam edition. Just wait.
It's a real kick in the teeth to PC Ultimate Edition owners. If we want to play multiplayer they're trying to force us to buy again.

It's totally pointless buying off the Microsoft Store now, a superior version of a game will make it's way to Steam a few months later.

I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled the same trick with Halo Wars 2.
It's a real kick in the teeth to PC Ultimate Edition owners. If we want to play multiplayer they're trying to force us to buy again.

It's totally pointless buying off the Microsoft Store now, a superior version of a game will make it's way to Steam a few months later.

I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled the same trick with Halo Wars 2.
Yes. And with H3A that AMD teased in Japan a few days ago. As if it's coming to Xbox. It's coming to PC. As Phill Spencer said.
I do agree they way this port has been announced, released and handled on PC has been poor to say the least, when you look back at Microsoft on PC it's amazing that no one saw this move coming. It's a repeated action that Microsoft have done with all their so called "Windows 10 Exclusives". Look at Rise of the Tomb Raider, Quantum Break, Ori and the Blind Forest, The 'Spartan' games, it almost seems stupid that both myself and other players didn't predict it.

But you did mention the key difference in this situation is the multiplayer which has also happened before, when Infinite Warfare/Modern Warfare Remastered was released in Windows 10, they too had different multiplayer servers to the steam versions. They quickly died out and a lot of people were short AU$120.

So I'm sure what I'm trying to say here because as much as a fanboy as I am, there is no defending Microsoft on this one. I guess what I'm saying that we shouldn't be shocked and this is one of many times fans have fallen into this trap.
Gears of War and Forza didn't make their way onto Steam so I think people can be forgiven for thinking Halo being the most important IP wouldn't go there.

I think the floodgates are open now and it's inevitable that Halo Wars 2 will get on Steam also.
I do agree they way this port has been announced, released and handled on PC has been poor to say the least, when you look back at Microsoft on PC it's amazing that no one saw this move coming. It's a repeated action that Microsoft have done with all their so called "Windows 10 Exclusives". Look at Rise of the Tomb Raider, Quantum Break, Ori and the Blind Forest, The 'Spartan' games, it almost seems stupid that both myself and other players didn't predict it.

But you did mention the key difference in this situation is the multiplayer which has also happened before, when Infinite Warfare/Modern Warfare Remastered was released in Windows 10, they too had different multiplayer servers to the steam versions. They quickly died out and a lot of people were short AU$120.

So I'm sure what I'm trying to say here because as much as a fanboy as I am, there is no defending Microsoft on this one. I guess what I'm saying that we shouldn't be shocked and this is one of many times fans have fallen into this trap.
Yup. Well I'm for one is done with Microsoft and Play Anywhere. If they release H3A, then I'm gonna wait for the steam release. As it's bound to happen. And if not, the windows store edition is still not worth it.
Wasn't it Microsoft claiming that the cross play with steam versions of Call of Duty wasn't their fault. Yet here we are a Microsoft game that can't play with the Steam version... just disappoint.
A standalone version of Halo Wars: DE didn't exist in the Windows 10 Store until a few days ago too, so it's no surprise the population before then was low (as only people who had bought the Halo Wars 2 Ultimate Edition had access to it, and many of them were likely playing Halo Wars 2 instead). The population on the Windows 10 Store might increase a little bit now that it's got a standalone release in the Windows 10 Store. What they should really do is bring keyboard and mouse to Xbox One and allow cross-play with the Windows 10 version, with separate playlists by input type (so controller users don't have to play against keyboard and mouse users).

They also should stop releasing their games on Steam. It's a shortsighted move that undermines their own Windows 10 Store. As others said, PC gamers are not going to use the Windows 10 Store if they think that the game they want will just come to Steam later on. Microsoft was foolish to release Halo Wars: DE on Steam, but the Windows 10 Store can still be salvaged if that's the end of it. If they release Halo Wars 2 there and other first-party games, though, they'll kill any chance the Store has at being successful. Personally, I have no interest in the Steam monopoly and would prefer the Windows 10 Store become a competitor, so I hope Microsoft stops undermining themselves.
coip wrote:
A standalone version of Halo Wars: DE didn't exist in the Windows 10 Store until a few days ago too, so it's no surprise the population before then was low (as only people who had bought the Halo Wars 2 Ultimate Edition had access to it, and many of them were likely playing Halo Wars 2 instead). The population on the Windows 10 Store might increase a little bit now that it's got a standalone release in the Windows 10 Store. What they should really do is bring keyboard and mouse to Xbox One and allow cross-play with the Windows 10 version, with separate playlists by input type (so controller users don't have to play against keyboard and mouse users).

They also should stop releasing their games on Steam. It's a shortsighted move that undermines their own Windows 10 Store. As others said, PC gamers are not going to use the Windows 10 Store if they think that the game they want will just come to Steam later on. Microsoft was foolish to release Halo Wars: DE on Steam, but the Windows 10 Store can still be salvaged if that's the end of it. If they release Halo Wars 2 there and other first-party games, though, they'll kill any chance the Store has at being successful. Personally, I have no interest in the Steam monopoly and would prefer the Windows 10 Store become a competitor, so I hope Microsoft stops undermining themselves.
I'm for them giving us choice on PC. Choice when it comes to buying it on Steam or when the cases apply, GoG is great. 343 and Microsoft should keep giving the consumer choice but be more forthcoming so that I can buy a game on a service all my friends can access, as many of them don't have Windows 10. The only reason I have Windows 10 is because I got a fancy laptop for uni, I'd never voluntarily use this OS, or by extension, their awful store, that screws up downloads and crams Candy Crush games down my throat.

Anyways, rant over. I don't think the Win10 independent population will rise now anyway.
coip wrote:

I'm for them giving us choice on PC. Choice when it comes to buying it on Steam or when the cases apply, GoG is great. 343 and Microsoft should keep giving the consumer choice but be more forthcoming so that I can buy a game on a service all my friends can access, as many of them don't have Windows 10. The only reason I have Windows 10 is because I got a fancy laptop for uni, I'd never voluntarily use this OS, or by extension, their awful store, that screws up downloads and crams Candy Crush games down my throat.

Anyways, rant over. I don't think the Win10 independent population will rise now anyway.
I'm all for choice, but I loathe the Steam monopoly, and from a long-term business perspective, it doesn't make sense for Microsoft to release their games on Steam. Steam is their competitor. Just as Microsoft doesn't release their Xbox games on PlayStation, nor should they do so on Steam when they already have a competing digital store. Valve takes a 30% cut, for starters, and you don't see Valve releasing their games on the Windows 10 Store, GoG, etc, so I don't get why Microsoft should be expected to gift away their own exclusive IP to Valve when Valve isn't returning the favor. I really like what Microsoft is doing with the Play Anywhere initiative, and I want to see that become the industry norm (something that won't happen if people stay in the Steam walled garden).

Regardless of what they do, I wish they'd just be upfront about it. I dislike when they lie (e.g. they said that Quantum Break would not go to Steam and that it would be a Windows 10 Store exclusive, and then 6 months later they released it on Steam), either by omission or otherwise.
coip wrote:
coip wrote:

I'm all for choice, but I loathe the Steam monopoly, and from a long-term business perspective, it doesn't make sense for Microsoft to release their games on Steam. Steam is their competitor. Just as Microsoft doesn't release their Xbox games on PlayStation, nor should they do so on Steam when they already have a competing digital store. Valve takes a 30% cut, for starters, and you don't see Valve releasing their games on the Windows 10 Store, GoG, etc, so I don't get why Microsoft should be expected to gift away their own exclusive IP to Valve when Valve isn't returning the favor. I really like what Microsoft is doing with the Play Anywhere initiative, and I want to see that become the industry norm (something that won't happen if people stay in the Steam walled garden).

Regardless of what they do, I wish they'd just be upfront about it. I dislike when they lie (e.g. they said that Quantum Break would not go to Steam and that it would be a Windows 10 Store exclusive, and then 6 months later they released it on Steam), either by omission or otherwise.
They should be upfront. The problem is, if your store doesn't work as well as say, the GoG Galaxy or installers/Steam Store/Origin or even Uplay, you won't, regardless of what you put on the store, gain marketshare, especially when Windows 10 is (not quite) almost universally hated by most PC gamers due to the forced updates. Microsoft has a very bad history with PC gamers, be it the removal of hardware sound from Windows Vista, to Games for Windows LIVE along with poor ports of games such as Halo 2. Microsoft has a very bad reputation with PC gamers, and regardless of what you or anyone else may think of Windows 10, the storefront, the XBOX brand or whatever, that reputation follows Microsoft around wherever they go. Because of that, it will take a lot more than Halo Wars 2 or a competent port of Gears 4 to win over a platform made up of massive sub-platforms of gamers, who in some cases have never even played on a console. Microsoft has a long way to go, but the store will not prove successful if there is a much larger library on Steam, or a much fairer ownership system on GoG, it's why Origin and even Uplay often lure PC gamers with regular free games, as it's the only way to get more users onto their service, not to mention the whole UWP thing and the fact that the Win32 edition of Quantum Break that users DX11 instead of DX12 has a reputation of outperforming the DX12 UWP edition without any quality sacrifices.

Or to sum it up, the Microsoft PC gaming brand is still about as trusted as you could expect when their last effort was by almost all accounts, an absolute disaster. To gain more marketshare, they have to offer PC gamers real benefits. Not every PC gamer owns a XBONE, so a lot of them won't care about the (useful for me) Play Anywhere thing. This sin't about exclusives, this is more about the fact nobody trusts Microsoft beyond providing Windows.
coip wrote:
coip wrote:

They should be upfront. The problem is, if your store doesn't work as well as say, the GoG Galaxy or installers/Steam Store/Origin or even Uplay, you won't, regardless of what you put on the store, gain marketshare, especially when Windows 10 is (not quite) almost universally hated by most PC gamers due to the forced updates. Microsoft has a very bad history with PC gamers, be it the removal of hardware sound from Windows Vista, to Games for Windows LIVE along with poor ports of games such as Halo 2. Microsoft has a very bad reputation with PC gamers, and regardless of what you or anyone else may think of Windows 10, the storefront, the XBOX brand or whatever, that reputation follows Microsoft around wherever they go. Because of that, it will take a lot more than Halo Wars 2 or a competent port of Gears 4 to win over a platform made up of massive sub-platforms of gamers, who in some cases have never even played on a console. Microsoft has a long way to go, but the store will not prove successful if there is a much larger library on Steam, or a much fairer ownership system on GoG, it's why Origin and even Uplay often lure PC gamers with regular free games, as it's the only way to get more users onto their service, not to mention the whole UWP thing and the fact that the Win32 edition of Quantum Break that users DX11 instead of DX12 has a reputation of outperforming the DX12 UWP edition without any quality sacrifices.

Or to sum it up, the Microsoft PC gaming brand is still about as trusted as you could expect when their last effort was by almost all accounts, an absolute disaster. To gain more marketshare, they have to offer PC gamers real benefits. Not every PC gamer owns a XBONE, so a lot of them won't care about the (useful for me) Play Anywhere thing. This sin't about exclusives, this is more about the fact nobody trusts Microsoft beyond providing Windows.
This is about exclusives, though. You just laid out entire paragraphs of why PC gamers will not use the Windows 10 Store, even if it continues to improve. The only way to get them to use the Store is to put exclusive content in there. Gift away that exclusive content and you take away the only real reason why most PC gamers would ever use it. They're setting up their Store for failure, and if it fails, everyone who bought content from there will be screwed over (just like GFWL). I'd rather see it succeed. Steam needs competition.
And halo wars on steam is selling like hotcakes.
Pcheenis wrote:
2,183 playing HW:DE on Steam now. It was featured in the top-seller category a few minutes after it launched, too.
Pcheenis wrote:
2,183 playing HW:DE on Steam now. It was featured in the top-seller category a few minutes after it launched, too.
I honestly thought that it was never going to reach steam. I don't understand why they bring it out on the Microsoft store in the first place if it being on steam will sell more. It's like dead rising. That got released on Microsoft store first then steam, I honestly would've bought it on steam instead but what can ya do about it.
coip wrote:
coip wrote:
coip wrote:

This is about exclusives, though. You just laid out entire paragraphs of why PC gamers will not use the Windows 10 Store, even if it continues to improve. The only way to get them to use the Store is to put exclusive content in there. Gift away that exclusive content and you take away the only real reason why most PC gamers would ever use it. They're setting up their Store for failure, and if it fails, everyone who bought content from there will be screwed over (just like GFWL). I'd rather see it succeed. Steam needs competition.
Steam does need competition, but some companies who have only harmed themselves never stand a chance of becoming that competition. Microsoft is one such company that has done so much damage to itself as a PC games company since the days of the original XBOX that it will take a colossal effort by them to win peoples trust over. The first stage is to just release the games wherever and not claim its going to be a Windows Store exclusive. By claiming everything is only on Windows 10 and then releasing it elsewhere, they've done much greater harm to their marketshare than they would have if they released a game at the same time on both stores (like Voodoo Vince). It's reasons like this that if they ever do Halo 3 on PC, people might not bite at it, as nobody can predict what Microsoft will do. If they knew it would remain only on the Windows Store, and Microsoft actually tried improving the awful place, people will be more likely to swallow their pride.
Their fault is they gimmick marketting service. while I'm not true fan of Halo series but I still looking forward it as PC RTS fan. If they not try to force PC gamer using Windows store in first place this game might end better than this but lucky for me I'm not interest to play MP game active player count not so effect to me...

I rater allow Steam to monopoly market if their competitor like Windows store still bare bone and overly restrict like this. the same reason while most people in the world still prefer windows over other OS.

however damage has been done if developer really want to keep this game alive on PC the game need to support cross platform multiplayer between WS-Steam or simple give steam key to people who bought the game from WS if they really have no time to do it.

and some how seem like even people who bought the game from steam version also has problem to find other player in game as if it's has region restrictio.
If you buy the windows 10 version, I'm pretty sure that you also get the xbox one version too because of their whole available anywhere thing.
Can't delete my own reply? gg.
coip wrote:

How exactly are they foolish to release the game on steam? The money still goes to Microsoft in the end.

Also. Even if they did stop releasing the games on steam. Very few. If not close to no one, would commit to using windows store. Most PC gamers are refusing the buy games from windows store, for the sole fact that it's from windows store. it's that bad.

If they actually decided to make the Windows store pleasant, and user friendly, and allow it for all versions of windows. Then I'm sure their Windows Gaming idea would actually work really well.

But really. All they need to do is give steam keys to Halo Wars: DE owners, and make the game cross play between windows store and steam. Also make the Windows Store version support windows 7 - 10. And make Windows Store available for all versions of Windows. As it's not called Windows 10 store. it's called Windows Store.

But.. Then they can't resell a superior version of the game on steam later. So they won't. And it's very much superior. Sure it has the same content. To an extent. i mean on steam it has more players, meaning you get to experience the multiplayer, which you would not get to do on windows store. But as i said before.
The steam version.. Well, for starters. It's on steam. But it also supports windows 7 - 10. While the windows store version only supports windows 10. Which is the biggest reason the game has no players. Most PC gamers hate windows 10.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3