Forums / Games / Legacy Halo

360 Era Halo games to be sunset come Dec 2021

OP UnheardCARNAGE

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
News

It’s been a helluva ride for all these titles. Everything comes to an end eventually and will be sad to see these games go. Halo 3, Halo 4, and Halo Reach have achievements that will be impacted by this so hunt while you can.
Intrigued to see what they mean by player customisation being turned off for Halo Reach & 4, does it just mean you won't be able to unlock any more stuff or will everyone revert to default armour?
Intrigued to see what they mean by player customisation being turned off for Halo Reach & 4, does it just mean you won't be able to unlock any more stuff or will everyone revert to default armour?
Probably just means unlocking content at a slower pace with some online only content becoming unavailable.... so basically things like Vidmasters would be gone.
It's a shame they instantly stopped digital sales of the games, they should have at least given another month for anyone to buy them if they wanted.
ronnie42 wrote:
Probably just means unlocking content at a slower pace with some online only content becoming unavailable.... so basically things like Vidmasters would be gone.
Ah yeah maybe they mean just armour that has a online check, like Recon, Eternal Flames and Reach Nameplates?
I've never been so upset in my entire life.....I can't believe they are doing this...I still regularly play these games online, MCC is a mess.
ronnie42 wrote:
Ah yeah maybe they mean just armour that has a online check, like Recon, Eternal Flames and Reach Nameplates?
I think it means default armour...
if you remember whenever reach or 4 had network issues it reverts your armour and rank to default.
I think customisation is going to be fully disabled :(
spargsy wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
I think it means default armour...
if you remember whenever reach or 4 had network issues it reverts your armour and rank to default.
I think customisation is going to be fully disabled :(
Ah maybe :( that'd really suck! although playing Reach offline I keep my armour, would be nice to get some official clarification!
If 343i is going to do this, then they really need to make it a priority to update the titles in MCC up to par with their original releases.
Halo CE's missing visual effects is probably the most obvious of these, but 2 is also missing quite a few, and Reach's postprocessing effects for stuff like fog, rain, lighting bloom from flames, etc is reduced.

Perhaps most important considering that this is online stuff that's going down relates to the file share and how MCC handles files: **MCC on console supports a measly 50 files per filetype to be saved locally** (and file stuff isn't on PC at all yet IIRC) This is less then Reach has. Hell it might even be less then what 3 supported... in any case, MCC supports 5 titles (3, ODST, Reach, 4, H2A) with gametype, map, screenshot, film, etc functionality, 50 files per type is *nowhere* near enough and it's baffling that this was never changed.

It is a huge inconvenience to anybody who regularly plays customs or forges... Hell, when the Halo 3/Reach to MCC file transfer happened, I straight up was unable to download all of my Halo 3 and Reach maps and gametypes because I hit the limit, and I didn't even play customs that much to have a huge quantity of maps and gametypes. So all of my gametypes and maps will go poof and become unusable if the file limit isn't upped before my friend decides to clear his fileshare out that he helped transfer my stuff over with (since we could both only transfer 24 files each).

This is to say nothing of how MCC has heavily neutered screenshot and film support: Screenshots basically don't even exist in MCC, as it relies on the Xbox DVR rather then the in engine renderers (which also reduces image quality as it compresses them and 3/ODST/Reach's screenshot renderer spat out higher quality effects in some cases). And yes, this matters, since even if we can still take screenshots in the original releases and save them locally and rip them off the 360 hard drive, player customization will be down for Reach, meaning any screenshots of non-default Spartans will be impossible in 360 Reach, and on MCC reach, there's the broken postprocessioning

In short, to make sure MCC retains the full functionality of the original releases since they will no longer be usable for online play, file share, etc:

• CE, 2, and Reach's visual issues and other bugs need to be fixed (there's so many other small things, Generalkid has like a dozen videos on his channel about this, some competitive CE players have a giant list, various H2 restoration projects have some as well, etc, but those visual issues are the main ones I can think of)
  • The amount of local files needs to be upped to at least like 500 per filetype, frankly I don't see why there's a cap at all, it should support whatever you have room for on your Xbox One (and when it comes to PC, your hard drive there).
  • Support for screenshots and films need to be re-added as they were with original releases, to where you can save them locally as part of your local files (not just game DVR) indefinitely and for them to be put on your file shares. The screenshot renderers should support 4k output, from what I've seen.
Fellas, it's been a heck of a ride. All things must come to an end. While I don't play my 360 much anymore, it's still a punch in the gut. I expected this to happen for a while now however. I'm just glad these awesome games get to live on in the MCC. I've still got one last achievement in ODST. Anyone wanna help?
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Well, thanks for giving absolutely no warning on buying digital copies. Still needed to get two of these, but I was waiting in case a sale or GWG happened.
ronnie42 wrote:
Sorry to say this but I seem to remember that during times of server issues for halo reach all armor customization options would reset to default and be locked.
Are you able to use coded DLC Armor or they will be locked away online? As they are stored on the console not server side thought I'd ask.
Just found out about the sunsetting. Knowing this, a friend of mine and I will probably play a bit more OG Halo 3. We rarely go back, but it does still play like it used to, encounters still play out the same, registration is better though latent at times, but if you've played Halo 3 as much as I have you would know what I mean. Some of my best friendships were made through Halo 3, still going over ten years strong.
ronnie42 wrote:
Sorry to say this but I seem to remember that during times of server issues for halo reach all armor customization options would reset to default and be locked.
Well if true then they have a year to patch these games to prevent this.
Now the question comes... who will stay online the longest when the switch flips... like the Halo 2 crew playing a month after service ended!

Halo 4 MM has been really rough for some time now. Halo 3 had some issues last we tried but BTB was finally doable. Reach was surprisingly solid MM experience last I tried.
Halo has been the SINGLE reason I still play video games. I seldomly play the older titles, and the experiences I have are phenomenal. Knowing that my childhood, is going down to the grave makes me sad. The true Halo 3, and Reach experience can never be experienced again because of it being such an old title, but it being gone is something different. Knowing I have the option to play them again is such a thought, but now knowing I literally cannot go back is chilling.
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
Well if true then they have a year to patch these games to prevent this.
We all know they won't
xJAGOx wrote:
Now the question comes... who will stay online the longest when the switch flips... like the Halo 2 crew playing a month after service ended!

Halo 4 MM has been really rough for some time now. Halo 3 had some issues last we tried but BTB was finally doable. Reach was surprisingly solid MM experience last I tried.
I will be on halo 3 for as long as my 360 lasts
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2