Forums / Games / Halo: Reach and Legacy Halo

"AI Reactivity" In Halo 3

OP Legobrick1000

Something really subtle, you probably don't notice it often - but the AI in Halo 3 react in specific ways that are clearly scripted and not random, depending on the actions you take. Currently, I can think of a few examples, and would welcome people to point out any more that I missed.

Mission: The Ark
Probably the best example of this, the very last group of enemies in the level (the Brutes performing the ritual) will not attack you until you kill the Chieftain - as has been pointed out, it's a challenge issued by the Chieftain.

Mission: The Covenant
In this mission, there are three instances of this. First, when fighting the Brute Chieftain in the first tower, ever notice how he won't charge at, or otherwise attempt to attack you, at all - until you kill all the other Brutes? It's a subtle thing that does make the AI feel a little more alive. Secondly, when entering the second tower and getting attacked by Drones, ever notice how if you enter one of the small hallways along the side, all of the drones will immediately fly into that hallway? Sure - this example seems like an obvious AI-thing, move to where you can see the AI, but go and experiment - they do it every single time. It definitely feels scripted.

The third is probably the best. At the beginning of the dual-scarabs fight, when the two hornets land, one of the pilots gets out. The other doesn't. If you hop onto the side of the hornet with the pilot inside, that pilot WILL fly over to one of the scarabs, hover above it until you get out, and then pull back. Once you destroy the scarab's core, that pilot's hornet will land on top of the scarab to pick you back up and carry you to the next one. Granted, this one's a bit "fragile" in the sense that it doesn't work perfectly all the time, but when it does, it's incredibly cool.

There are probably many more examples, but anyway - my whole point for bringing this up, is this is something I definitely hope to see return in Halo: infinite. Your thoughts?
Subtle things like this is what makes Halo games truly great. There’s lots of things you’ll miss if you’re not paying attention carefully. I have high hopes for Infiniti, it seems 343 is taking the time needed to incorporate the little things.
The AI is something I definitely miss from the Bungie games. I did not know about the Hornet pilot flying you over to the Scarab! It really speaks to a game’s quality when you learn something new like this years after it launched. I definitely want to see subtle events like the ones from Halo 3 return. They were Easter eggs in themselves and made me want to play levels again just to see them.
A reason why I love playing Halo 3's campaign. Bungie took the time to program these neat little things that most people would miss. I only learned of that duel with the Chieftain in the Ark because of the Act Man, and I always knew that the Hammer Chieftains always stand back. The latter example is best seen when you're tasked to save the Marines in the barracks in Crow's Nest. After you speak with Johnson, there's a large pack of Brutes with a Chieftain. Note that he'll never charge you until you killed most or all other Brutes or charge at him.
However, I definitely didn't knew about that Scarab one. I mostly just get the pilot out of the cockpit and pilot it myself, disable the legs, destroy the thick protection covering the core, blow the core, repeat.

This is a feature that really should be given an opportunity in Halo Infinite.
Something really subtle, you probably don't notice it often - but the AI in Halo 3 react in specific ways that are clearly scripted and not random, depending on the actions you take. Currently, I can think of a few examples, and would welcome people to point out any more that I missed.

Mission: The ArkProbably the best example of this, the very last group of enemies in the level (the Brutes performing the ritual) will not attack you until you kill the Chieftain - as has been pointed out, it's a challenge issued by the Chieftain.

Mission: The CovenantIn this mission, there are three instances of this. First, when fighting the Brute Chieftain in the first tower, ever notice how he won't charge at, or otherwise attempt to attack you, at all - until you kill all the other Brutes? It's a subtle thing that does make the AI feel a little more alive. Secondly, when entering the second tower and getting attacked by Drones, ever notice how if you enter one of the small hallways along the side, all of the drones will immediately fly into that hallway? Sure - this example seems like an obvious AI-thing, move to where you can see the AI, but go and experiment - they do it every single time. It definitely feels scripted.

The third is probably the best. At the beginning of the dual-scarabs fight, when the two hornets land, one of the pilots gets out. The other doesn't. If you hop onto the side of the hornet with the pilot inside, that pilot WILL fly over to one of the scarabs, hover above it until you get out, and then pull back. Once you destroy the scarab's core, that pilot's hornet will land on top of the scarab to pick you back up and carry you to the next one. Granted, this one's a bit "fragile" in the sense that it doesn't work perfectly all the time, but when it does, it's incredibly cool.

There are probably many more examples, but anyway - my whole point for bringing this up, is this is something I definitely hope to see return in Halo: infinite. Your thoughts?
I think h3 and 4 AI is probably the worse in the series , ironically CE arguably has the best yet it is the oldest and on the weakest hardware .

Mission: The ArkProbably the best example of this, the very last group of enemies in the level (the Brutes performing the ritual) will not attack you until you kill the Chieftain - as has been pointed out, it's a challenge issued by the Chieftain.

Mission: The CovenantIn this mission, there are three instances of this. First, when fighting the Brute Chieftain in the first tower, ever notice how he won't charge at, or otherwise attempt to attack you, at all - until you kill all the other Brutes? It's a subtle thing that does make the AI feel a little more alive. Secondly, when entering the second tower and getting attacked by Drones, ever notice how if you enter one of the small hallways along the side, all of the drones will immediately fly into that hallway? Sure - this example seems like an obvious AI-thing, move to where you can see the AI, but go and experiment - they do it every single time. It definitely feels scripted.

I think h3 and 4 AI is probably the worse in the series , ironically CE arguably has the best yet it is the oldest and on the weakest hardware .
I object. Reach has the best AI. You go easy on those guys and they won't hold back nothing.

I object. Reach has the best AI. You go easy on those guys and they won't hold back nothing.
Reach AI is also super tough but I still think CE AI get the nod, not much between them though.
I decided to replay the Ark missions today on Legendary and found out about these scenarios. The beginning of the Ark, when you’re with the ODST overlooking the camp, if you try to snipe the Brute that’s standing up, it’s seems like he will always instinctively jump back and dodge the bullet. It’s an awesome detail because Bungie probably thought everyone would try to snipe the same guy.

Also during the Brute challenge, there’s a hologram of the Prophet, and the brutes exclaim that he is watching the fight. Truth says something along the lines of “You must win this fight alone, failure would mean something worse than death. Abandonment as we ascend.” If the hologram gets destroyed, all the other Brutes will jump in, since the Prophet isn’t watching anymore.
I have to say the way Bungie did there AI was so unique they weren't just bad guys there for you to shoot at.