Forums / Games / Legacy Halo

[Locked] All the armor lock hate?

OP Kienamaru

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I don't understand it. I didn't play much Halo reach but why is it that everyone dislikes the Armor Lock ability? I thought it was pretty useful in both campaign and multiplayer.
I googled "Why do people hate Armor Lock?" and found this answer because I can't be bothered to explain this ever again.

Well, it's mostly because people use it to avoid death. Bad players realize that they are going to lose a fight, so just enter armor lock and abuse the invincibiltiy. It's sole purose is to slow down gameplay.
It was a get out of jail free card. Now they have added it to Halo 4 in a sense but in a different form where players are allowed to live even if their vehicle is blown to hell and back.
^
What them two fellows said. I agree.
1. It negates power weapons and vehicles. You shouldn't be able to survive anything thrown at you with the press of a button.

2. Players survive situations they shouldn't have. Yes, we all have heard the common argument "CAN'T YOU JUST STAND THERE AND WAIT FOR THEIR ARMOR LOCK TO RUN OUT?" This is naive. In regular play, while they are armor locking, they are really delaying until their teammates arrive to save them and finish you off.

3. We have hardlight shield. It's the same thing and, while still flawed, is much better balanced.
It's a broken, abused mechanic that only stalls gameplay. When used by average players it's fine / tolerable. Put in the hands of someone who knows how to play / abuse the mechanic, that's when the hate takes over.
Man, if they would have made Armor Lock so the player using it could still be assassinated it would be perfect. And if they made it last for a shorter period of time... And if they didn't add an EMP blast to the already existing invincibility...

Yup, it is horrible.
Quote:
1. It negates power weapons and vehicles. You shouldn't be able to survive anything thrown at you with the press of a button.

2. Players survive situations they shouldn't have. Yes, we all have heard the common argument "CAN'T YOU JUST STAND THERE AND WAIT FOR THEIR ARMOR LOCK TO RUN OUT?" This is naive. In regular play, while they are armor locking, they are really delaying until their teammates arrive to save them and finish you off.

3. We have hardlight shield. It's the same thing and, while still flawed, is much better balanced.
In a nutshell, this. This literally sums it up. Only a Halo ring could break through it lol :)
Quote:
Quote:

In a nutshell, this. This literally sums it up. Only a Halo ring could break through it lol :)
That's not true. The only reason the Didact was able to survive the Halo rings when they fired hundreds of thousands of years ago was that he used Armor Lock.
This is why I dislike armor lock.
Keep in mind they did alter it in the TU, so that taking damage depletes in faster. Pretty sure a grenade drains the whole thing instantly, so nade>Armor lock.

I was a fan of it. Taking out vehicles with it was funny, and, not to sound cocky, since I was the main slayer on my team, it made sense for me to stay alive in a certain area than making my way back from a spawn.

If anything, from my experience it sped the game up. I kept my weapons, position, spent more time killing than respawning/waiting for shields to recharge.

Double Lock melee fights were pretty dumb, though you get the hang of 'em, eventually.
TO be truthfully when i think about i hated armor probably because of vehicle one hits because the window for someone to lock down and kill you in the vehicle was to large but that's besides the point, it is easy for an experienced player to see someone who had armor because they will purposefully walk out in the middle of the battlefield and wait so you charge them to the window of destruction stop back up and shoot them because the TU made it go away off damage done to it easy, but enough about vehicles armor lock is being blown way out of proportion as to how op it was yes lock fist fights were stupid to deal with but hey your TEAMMATES could always shoot the guy. The ability was made for you stall for your teamates to safe you from dying because you thought you could 6 guys by yourself and realized your couldn't so you armor locked and waited in hopes of back up big deal just have one guy focus him/her if they had no shields when they did it punch them or shoot them when they unlock and it existed in the first place because hey how else did MC and N6 survive falling from outer space and crashing into the planets? armor lock saved them even the tutorial marine in H3 said MC locked his armor so the shields and plating would keep him alive and well bungie wanted to add it to multiplayer because it is a thing in the halo universe
It was incredibly broken. We'd play Team Doubles against two guys using armor lock and there was a way to time it so that when you ran into two on two battles in medium-close range that the only way to beat it was to turn and run, because they either popped out and popped your shield (and did an any-direction melee) because you were too close, or the one with more shield came out early and fired on us while we focused on the guy who was locked down, who then popped back out and massed fire. Then, it would recharge and they'd be back down in it all over again.

In multi-team Elite Slayer it was even worse, because everything was grenades and concussion rifles. Entire teams would use it and clog up a whole hallway which would end up having nine guys, six of which would be dead after the explosions, with the three on the same team emerging victorious with their armor lock and stickies.

I guess in that instance you could say that it was fair because everyone could use it, and it did in some instances make the game fun. But it removed all the skill from it. It was like playing Shipment on COD4 with everybody using the Primary Greande x3 perk, just everything exploded.
Quote:
This is why I dislike armor lock.
Wow, Weaksauce on Armor Locks part.
*Facepalm* Broken mechanic is broken mechanic...
I'm fine if it is used skillfully, like n number 10 of this top 10:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nJNmVu3miE

When it's used to stall... The TU made ALers grenade magnets... Plus, it was a great counter to people who thought they could go on splatter sprees with banshees(yes, there were people who did this -_-).
Well then. See, I didn't play Reach til I believe it was mid summer of last year. and I didn't play it much after Halo 4 came out. I found Armor Lock really useful in campaign and on Multiplayer I used it to destroy vehicles. I'm a camo kid though so I never really abused it. Gotta get my assassinations.

Also, I found this on Youtube about Armor Lock abuse and well I guess it sums it up. I saw most of this as awesome though, not bad or boring. Halo has never been a fast paced shooter to me. Compared to Rainbow Six it's still pretty sluggish. What with guns taking 4 headshots to kill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_bUbklKMAc
Awesome video!

The skilled don't like randomness or anything that adds luck to the mix. The best players prefer skill to determine the outcome of any engagement. As a consequence, they don't like AL, AC or bloom because it adds an element of unpredictability. Sounds boring to me.

They need to focus on Snipers/SWAT, where skill and one-shots are everything.

I may need to try AL after watching that video - never have... :)
Not only does it steal a kill from the more skillful player who just out strafed you but they may be killed in the process if they linger too long to finish you off. It's an ability that makes people fight the AA more than the actual player or that player's true skill.

I've had many encounters against bad players who missed every shot on me, I got him to 1 shot, he armor locks, his teammates roll in, and I have to back off. It's completely stupid. That was my kill and he should have died to suffer the consequences.

In previous Halos (like Halo 3 which I play the most) no one can escape me. They die when they should and suffer the consequences of making bad moves, playing poorly, and taking on a titan they have no business getting in a 1v1 with,

In Reach? Yeah no problem! Go against a player in a situation that should compromise you to death but just keep on mashing that invincibility while you wait for your team to roll in and do work for you.

This is why when I do play reach and kill an armor locker I always shoot their dead body and smack it a few times the rest of the match. They are a prime example of how Halo has gone down the drain. And no, I rarely get killed because of an armor locker, I know better and know how to counter them. I just find is sad that this was even considered an Armor ability. I hate AA's already and Armor Lock just makes it worse.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3