Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Legacy Halo

Anybody else think the halo ce pistol was too op?

OP ShinySpartan499

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
so, halo ce pistol. personal speacialty in ce, but a little too op bompared to everything else. anyone agree? what else was op in ce?
Almost the entire community agrees with you, its one of the reasons its a power weapon in Halo 5.
so, halo ce pistol. personal speacialty in ce, but a little too op bompared to everything else. anyone agree? what else was op in ce?
As much as I enjoy Halo: Combat Evolved, it definitely doesn't have the best weapons balance. Especially for the UNSC weapons.
  • The shotguns range is ridiculous.
  • The magnums damage is way too overpowered (who needs any other weapon?)
  • The assault rifle has an insane number of rounds, meaning you can just unload a full clip into an enemy without having to worry about ammo).
  • The sniper rifle has no delay between rounds.
It gets frustrating playing MCC's Ranked 2v2 HCE in which the Pistol is your secondary weapon and the AR is your primary... players always immediately need to switch to the Pistol, of course.

When getting spawn camped against other players with Pistols, you are at a supreme disadvantage to combat them when comparatively spawning with an AR.
I guess you have to start somewhere when designing a pistol, now being considered as a Power Weapon in Halo 5's matchmaking
Me personally, I think Bungie may have accidentally made the CE magnum too powerful. But that's highly unlikely.
Playing through the Library again in CE you can really notice it.
The CE pistol is overpowered but that's what makes it great! You need to keep in mind that Halo: Combat Evolved was a launch title for the original Xbox back in 2001. There was almost nothing but uncertainty with how the game was going to run on a console that Microsoft was debuting for the first time. Bungie nearly cut out multiplayer, entirely, just days before the game shipped.
I think the CE Pistol’s damage was one of the things Jason Jones altered without telling anyone else.

Personally, I never did and still don’t care about balance in CE because it’s from an era where games were focused purely on fun and not clinically and obsessively making sure the damage outputs for each weapon has some flaw in it (not necessarily a bad thing), etc. CE is still one of the toughest games to master and will always remain one of the best. BTB on Blood Gulch will never go out of style.

EDIT: Came back to add that the CE Pistol can still be outmatched by other weapons. The sandbox is quite small compared to H5 and so each weapon has a very specialized role.
Cannon/lore wise makes so much sense. But for H5/ MCC way too OP. Except in Halo CE. For me it seems strangely balanced
It's always bothered me how the shotgun's range decreases basically game after game. I understand for sandbox purposes, but shotguns only being effective at point blank range isn't how shotguns actually work.

Back on topic though - I think the CE pistol is fine, but like someone did say above - it does get annoying when you're spawning in matchmaking and have to constantly switch to your backup in order to be competitive. Makes you think there should be an AR only or pistol only mode for starts in MCC.
It's always bothered me how the shotgun's range decreases basically game after game. I understand for sandbox purposes, but shotguns only being effective at point blank range isn't how shotguns actually work.

Back on topic though - I think the CE pistol is fine, but like someone did say above - it does get annoying when you're spawning in matchmaking and have to constantly switch to your backup in order to be competitive. Makes you think there should be an AR only or pistol only mode for starts in MCC.
A day ago I played a social Halo CE matchmade game with only AR starts.

Agreed about shotguns. They are possibly the most gamified weapon in video games. One shot kill at 10 feet, but slugs disappear at 10.01 feet lol. I get why developers do this and it doesn't make a game less fun, but it still feels weird.
The pistol is still fun to use, in my opinion
I seem to remember that the damage stats for the pistol were a mistake or bug, unintended for the release.
It wasn't. Just because it can kill in 3 shots doesn't mean it usually does. It's very hard to use. Like it's way easier to get a perfect 4 with a BR. Also, what wasn't very powerful in CE outside of the needler?
Of course I'm talking about the first release, if you are saying that because you played a CE version other than the original then you are probably right.
Definitely. A 3-shot kill for a secondary weapon? What the heck Bungie. It should have been a 5-shot kill like in Halo 5. It makes any other weapon (besides a few power weapons like the shotgun and rpg) useless.
I'd argue that the brs in other halo games are way more overpowered, mainly because all the other weapons besides the needler are amazing. The shotgun is basically a sniper, the plasma rifle slows down the enemy, the ar can quick camo and shreds at close range, the plasma pistol can overcharge, the sniper fires really fast, the rockets have a huge blast radius. A good player will make use of every weapon besides the needler, seriously, watch pro gameplay.
As much as I enjoy Halo: Combat Evolved, it definitely doesn't have the best weapons balance. Especially for the UNSC weapons.
  • The magnums damage is way too overpowered (who needs any other weapon?)
  • The assault rifle has an insane number of rounds, meaning you can just unload a full clip into an enemy without having to worry about ammo).
  • The sniper rifle has no delay between rounds.
Meh, about like real life.
No the CE pistol is special and unique in its own way and we love it for that
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2