Forums / Games / Halo: Reach and Legacy Halo

Bring Verbally Crucified For Liking Halo 4

OP GrayestPlayer04

Welp... All over YouTube, Instagram, etc. I have just been slandered left and right for my unpopular opinions on halo-related things. Such as "halo 4 is as good as reach!" People can disagree, and thats perfectly normal. We can share our opinions on the halo series without get metaphorically crapped on. Ive had so many people say things among the lines of: "ur not a true halo fan lol" or "ur 15 so ur opinion is not relevent." Thoughts?
I dont think Halo 4 is as good as Halo Reach, but thats awful, people are such jerks.
The Halo community can be a very toxic place, there was actually once a site called Halo2sucks.com. The fanbase right now is divided into 3 parts:
Bungie fans (common).
Fans of both Bungie and 343 (uncommon).
343 fans (rare).
The Halo community can be a very toxic place, there was actually once a site called Halo2sucks.com. The fanbase right now is divided into 3 parts:
Bungie fans (common).
343 fans (rare).
Haha, i just recently learned that halo2sucks.com was ever a thing because I was way too young back in 2005/2006 when the site existed. But you can still find snapshots on the wayback archive. The way we look at halo 5 now was apparently how gamers looked at halo 2 back then. Which begs the question, will we end up loving halo 5 Guardians in the future and give it a second thought? I doubt it, but we'll just have to see.

And I definitely am a part of the 'fans of bungie and 343 catagory.'
Bungie fans (common).
343 fans (rare).
Haha, i just recently learned that halo2sucks.com was ever a thing because I was way too young back in 2005/2006 when the site existed. But you can still find snapshots on the wayback archive. The way we look at halo 5 now was apparently how gamers looked at halo 2 back then. Which begs the question, will we end up loving halo 5 Guardians in the future and give it a second thought? I doubt it, but we'll just have to see.

Same. I was born the same year Halo CE was released (2001), and I'm also a part of that category.
Bungie fans (common).
343 fans (rare).

I highly doubt Halo 5 will be remembered and loved like Halo 2. Halo 2 was revolutionary in many ways such as quick and easy online play over Xbox Live. It was also widely loved by players and critics when it was a current game. To this day, people play on PC. Halo 2 is also popular on MCC. Halo 5 is not nearly as lauded, to keep it short.

So, it’s not accurate to suggest Halo 5 is looked upon currently like Halo 2 was. And I’m willing to bet that most players will happily move on to Infinite when it comes out. I will be one of those players based on what information we have about Infinite. H5 is not a bad game, but a game marred with bad decisions. At one point, it was my favorite MP but not anymore.
Yeah you can't voice your opinion nowadays you either like the original trilogy or you aren't actually a halo fan it seems.
Alright listen, just a couple of things I want to say first. One is that every community, gaming or otherwise, will have its bad apples. And two is that, there are just rude people in general.

So when someone is trying to act like a gatekeeper with you, saying stuff like "ur not a true Halo fan coz you liek Halo 4," you should think about this: The person who just said that to you is some stranger on the internet who likely has no titles, no respect, and can't even be bothered to spell out their words properly. So why should you care about what they think of you and your opinions? Chances are, if they're uncivil like that, they're just angsty kids and young teens trying to vent their frustrations on something.

And also think about this: You voice your opinion, and someone writes a poorly written insult to you because of that. What will that mean for you later? Will it still bother you a year from then? A month, week, or even a day later? If you realize how little their petty insults mean, it probably won't bother you at all.

It's also a matter of where you voice your opinion. Places like the Youtube comment section will always be full of simply toxic people. But in places like here on Waypoint and the Halo subreddit, people are civil. You're welcome to express whatever opinion you have, as long as you're respectful and present it elegantly. Especially if you support your opinions with logic (or nostalgia. Most people like that, too.)

I've always believed that people think it's just "cool" to hate Halo 4. Though it seems more like it's just cool to hate the latest Halo game. Just take a look at this picture. There's a surprising amount of truth to it, if you think about it. Halo 4 just gets extra flak because it stands out more than the others with its loadouts and ordnance. But even now, more people are appreciating Halo 4 in retrospect despite all the backlash it has received.
Rhydon65 wrote:
Alright listen, just a couple of things I want to say first. One is that every community, gaming or otherwise, will have its bad apples. And two is that, there are just rude people in general.

So when someone is trying to act like a gatekeeper with you, saying stuff like "ur not a true Halo fan coz you liek Halo 4," you should think about this: The person who just said that to you is some stranger on the internet who likely has no titles, no respect, and can't even be bothered to spell out their words properly. So why should you care about what they think of you and your opinions? Chances are, if they're uncivil like that, they're just angsty kids and young teens trying to vent their frustrations on something.

And also think about this: You voice your opinion, and someone writes a poorly written insult to you because of that. What will that mean for you later? Will it still bother you a year from then? A month, week, or even a day later? If you realize how little their petty insults mean, it probably won't bother you at all.

It's also a matter of where you voice your opinion. Places like the Youtube comment section will always be full of simply toxic people. But in places like here on Waypoint and the Halo subreddit, people are civil. You're welcome to express whatever opinion you have, as long as you're respectful and present it elegantly. Especially if you support your opinions with logic (or nostalgia. Most people like that, too.)

I've always believed that people think it's just "cool" to hate Halo 4. Though it seems more like it's just cool to hate the latest Halo game. Just take a look at this picture. There's a surprising amount of truth to it, if you think about it. Halo 4 just gets extra flak because it stands out more than the others with its loadouts and ordnance. But even now, more people are appreciating Halo 4 in retrospect despite all the backlash it has received.
Hey! Thanks for your reply. And i saw that image you linked, I thought it was funny.
<p></p>
Despite my being on Halo Waypoint now, I am not much of an internet lurker, so hopefully you'll believe when I say that without bandwagoning, I severely disliked Halo 4. At the time, I kind of felt like giving up on Halo because of it. Initially, I only bought Halo 5 to play with my friend, but I ended up feeling like a lot of my personal grievances had been addressed (for me this was level design and multiplayer mechanics). In hindsight, I think that the main issue was that 343 tried to put too much of their own fingerprints all over Halo. I think they should've been tactically subtle and made changes a lot more gradually over the first few games.

However, the reason why I'm on Halo Waypoint now is because I hate r/Halo and r/gaming. They're intolerably nostalgic and conservative when it comes to Halo. And yeah, on Reddit I would get downvoted anytime I tried to support any part of Halo 5's story, mechanics or general existence. I kind of understand the position people have toward disliking Halo 5, but the gaming community in general can get really abusive and controlling toward game developers.

There's just this really toxic attitude out there right now where rather than offering one's own opinion and debating and discussing the direction they wished the series had gone, they release nitpicking memes, lord over dissenters and tweet profanities at developers. I can not relate to this thought process.

So yeah, I understand where you're coming from. Hopefully you don't get that kind of flack on Waypoint.
That really sucks man. I'm sorry you have to deal with that. The thing is, there are always going to be THOSE people on the Internet no matter where you go, they will talk down on you. Not to say that there aren't a ton of great people, but I can't pretend that it's all good. Just be careful with what you see. If you go deep down the rabbit hole and find more negative comments, which I have done before and regretted, it can feel depressing. Just know that you are allowed to like and enjoy the things you like. It doesn't matter if others try to tell you otherwise. After all, everyone is different, and that's a good thing. Another thing I'd like to add, is that for those people saying "Your not a true Halo fan for liking Halo 4 over the classic games," that's just downright stupid and posts like that are full of crap. You're a Halo fan because you enjoyed Halo 4, right? It makes sense to me. Negative posts like that I now dismiss as trolls.
Dont mind them. I love Halo 4 as well.
At the end, what matters is what you think :)
Welp... All over YouTube, Instagram, etc. I have just been slandered left and right for my unpopular opinions on halo-related things. Such as "halo 4 is as good as reach!" People can disagree, and thats perfectly normal. We can share our opinions on the halo series without get metaphorically crapped on. Ive had so many people say things among the lines of: "ur not a true halo fan lol" or "ur 15 so ur opinion is not relevent." Thoughts?
If you express an opinion on an open forum then you accept the fact that people will offer their thoughts. If you shout your thoughts in a crowded mall then someone is bound to strongly disagree with you eventually, so if you don't want that then you shouldn't be screaming in a crowded mall.
Honestly. Those who claims Halo teaxh was good and better only for be from Bungie and don’t appreciate the piece of Halo 4 are the not the true Halo fans at all. Halo 4 was such a game, yes maybe it doesn’t has the same quality in armors that Halo Reach, but is still an awesome a great full game. The campaign has a great narrative and besides I loved and enjoyed the Noble Team, at the beginning I was kind of hmm angry for the lack of connection with the Halo Fall of Reach novel, what those people that insult you it looks they didn’t read it.

Halo 4 multiplayer was less competitive than Halo Reach, but that is why it was funnier in a part, play it with friends and without caring for your stats made it enjoy it more than Halo 5 Guardians and Halo Reach.
Liking Halo 4 shouldn't be a taboo in the community, it was still an enjoyable Halo game in itself. Of course it wasn't the perfect and live up to the expectations of previous entries but it certainly brought in memorable and amazing moments. We've gotten to see forerunners in game which was a monumental on its own and it felt like the games were beginning to focus a lot more in the story which is always accepted.
Take it all with a grain of salt. Some people hate Reach, for me it's one of my faves. Everyone has their own opinion and unfortunately some are very vocal about the things they hate rather than the things they love.
I'm personally of the mind set that 1,2 (Two is my favorite for multi-player), & 3 are the best. Didn't care for 4. Never played reach, ODST, or 5 (did play a bit of the multi player of 5, it wasn't TERRIBLE).
However, just like what you like and forget about everyone else. There will always (in any Fandom) be someone who has a problem with your opinion. They're toxic and stupid.
I actually purchased a copy of Halo 4 last year along with a second hand Xbox 360 for 20 pounds, had never played any Halo game beyond 3 at that point
Was honestly shocked by how good it looked running on 10+ year old hardware, but the environments (especially the swamp) were pretty dull and uninteresting compared to the more colorful ones from previous installments
Though I have to admit that the part with the mantis really reminded me of MechAssault... (og xbox anyone?)