Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Legacy Halo

CE on the original xbox vs backwards compatible

OP UnlikeVoyage623

I was watching an interview with Marty O'Donnell where he says Halo CE only should be played on the original xbox and it didn't play the same on a 360, but I never found any differences. I found it even harder to believe when considering you can play LAN between these 2 consoles. Does anyone know why? Is Halo 2 also different when played on a 360?
I was watching an interview with Marty O'Donnell where he says Halo CE only should be played on the original xbox and it didn't play the same on a 360, but I never found any differences. I found it even harder to believe when considering you can play LAN between these 2 consoles. Does anyone know why? Is Halo 2 also different when played on a 360?
It's not necessarily fundamentally different, but I have to say I do enjoy playing games on what they were meant to be played on.

Playing Halo 2 or CE on my old school CRT TV, especially split screen is a lot of fun with the older controllers. Just gives you a different and more classic feel, instead of just another reskin or graphical upscale, etc.
I don't know about CE, but Halo 2 has a nasty habit of producing ghosting artifacts when played on a 360.
The last warthog run in CE really chugs. Some other framerate hiccups here and there. Also, on the HDMI 360s, you really have to jump through some hoops to get it in 4:3 vs 16:9. Also, on my last playthrough it on 360 it completely skipped a cutscene (into to 343).

Halo 2 does have some ghosting at times. I've had cutscenes stay on screen lol. Causing a rebooting only scenario. Also... good luck getting the H2 1.5 update, along with Desolation & Tombstone maps onto a 360.

They're both 90% playable but you'll run into issues. Halo 3 didn't come out for a bit on 360 so these were a nice hold over. Also, both require a patch to run so need an internet connection.
Okay... I knew I did a write up on another forum. Here were my thoughts right after a CE run through on 360.
Quote:
First off, to those saying Halo CE is unplayable on the 360... come on. Is it perfect... no, but definitely playable. I ran through it with minimal problems. Here are my notes on any issues:

- Some frame drops when more than 2 vehicles and multiple enemies on screen
- Cut scene at end of 343 Guilty Spark level did not play. Jumped me right into the Library level. This would've been very confusing if I didn't know what was supposed to happen here in the story (first introduced to Guilty Spark)
- Some frame drops in Keyes level when 5+ flood on screen
- Significant frame drops as 10+ Flood are on screen in some areas of the Maw

I remember reading on forums back in the day that the last warthog driving scene in the Maw was impossible due to frame rate. Perhaps a later patch fixed this. I had no issues here on my 360E console. Earlier in the Maw, right before you get to the "destroy the 4 reactors" section, I ran into a few rough frame rate spots. Then they cleared up. Worth noting none of the issues above ever caused me to die. I also think some forget Halo 2 runs into a few issues on the 360 as well.
Can you even play halo 2 on 360
Maybe he was talking about how must get things done, something like: a man should pay the dinner, but in video games.
It is a thing of tradition.
Sure, it's backwards compatible. You can play some version of Halo 2 on every single Xbox console, and PC.
znazanz777 wrote:
I don't know about CE, but Halo 2 has a nasty habit of producing ghosting artifacts when played on a 360.
It was a really nasty habit. I think the only difference you'll notice is between the original Xbox controller and 360 controller. There's nothing in game that you'll notice.
Sure, it's backwards compatible. You can play some version of Halo 2 on every single Xbox console, and PC.
That's what I thought too, but I could not find it on the market place, and all my friends say it isn't, but I mean MCC ain't too bad,
That's what I thought too, but I could not find it on the market place, and all my friends say it isn't, but I mean MCC ain't too bad,
All of the legacy games have been removed from the Xbox LIVE marketplace. You can pick up a physical copy for next to nothing these days.
All of the legacy games have been removed from the Xbox LIVE marketplace. You can pick up a physical copy for next to nothing these days.
Oh cool, thanks
I've played Halo CE a little bit on Xbox 360, and it seems fine for the most part, although when playing split-screen, the performance can drop quite a bit, and somewhat frequently. Is it like that on the original Xbox, or does it perform better there?

Also, I did notice the Halo 2 issue where a layer of shapes appears on the screen. Its really the only thing that keeps me from playing Halo 2 on the 360 more often. Which is such a shame, because the MCC can't compare to the beautiful Halo 2 title/menu screen!