Forums / Games / Halo: Reach and Legacy Halo

Did Bungie purposely make Kat's driving that bad?

OP lNexion 218l

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
As if to say don't get on the turret?
🤔
You should see the friendly a.i. for halo 5
Theyre trying
That would be pretty funny if they did it on purpose. But I don’t think it was intentional. They’ve joked about Kat’s poor driving in some of their videos, so it seems like that was the way the AI driving turned out. To be fair though, it’s been a good idea to drive in solo campaign in basically every situation in every game.
I don't know if she drives worse than any of the other humans since they're all terrible but if so, then I imagine it had to be intentional.
As if to say don't get on the turret?
Her driving and AI on a general note is absolutely terrible. During my Legendary Solo runthrough on ONI Sword Base after painstakingly hijacking a Wraith and keeping it intact, after getting out of the Wraith to active the generators on the one part of the Mission, Kat jumps in the Wraith, and thrusts at me, killing me with it. I didn't shoot her, there were no enemies around. She essentially betrayed me with that idiot AI.

When I respawned and passed that part, when the Pelican dropped off the Warthog, I got her into the driverside, and drove it right at the cliff nearby and jumped out in time, sending Kat to her death. I then hopped into the Wraith and continued with the mission as normal, ensuring that she would not kill me with vehicles again for the rest of the mission.
I don't think I have ever let the AI drive in any halo game they have never been that good but Kat does take it to another level. Even if they are not driving you off a cliff they are not the best at evading fire
🤔
Theyre trying
They tried so hard, and got so faaaaar
🤔
Theyre trying
But in the end, it doesn’t even matter as it’s always a better idea to trust your own driving prowess over that of AI. I have always killed any marines in the area of warthogs, mainly on the Tip of the Spear map, and I always leave Kat behind whenever possible. The AI only serves to make things harder as they insist on hopping in the drivers seat while you’re trying to take out enemies and objectives from a safe location.
🤔
Theyre trying
But in the end, it doesn’t even matter as it’s always a better idea to trust your own driving prowess over that of AI. I have always killed any marines in the area of warthogs, mainly on the Tip of the Spear map, and I always leave Kat behind whenever possible. The AI only serves to make things harder as they insist on hopping in the drivers seat while you’re trying to take out enemies and objectives from a safe location.
They have to fallllll, to lose it alllll
Bungie farewell gift along with armor lock and bloom .
It became a wonderful mistake that we all look back at and laugh.
Give her a break she's only got one arm.
Aur Echo wrote:
Now that's what I call "immersive gameplay"
Funny, I'll have to mention to my wife that even in Halo ladies are bad drivers :D
*violently drives off map*
Aur Echo wrote:
I'm pretty sure she had to use her foot to hit the gas on the Wraith to splatter me when no enemies were around. I think that was intentional, and not an arm malfunction or incompetence XD. Guess all that 'black ink' bothered her XD.
🤔
Theyre trying
Get out.
🤔
Theyre trying
Get out.
No. For I am ze muffin man!
Kat gets a lot of slack for her driving, but there's probably much worse offenders out there (all Halo games have their bad AI drivers). She's surprisingly reliable and accurate on foot, probably the only Noble Team member who can actually use her magnum to it's fullest potential (taking advantage of it's crazy RoF). She's only beaten in range by Jorge, except he has the worst aim.

Want to see a demonstration of this? On LNoS, you can run/sprint into the metal shield near the doorway (leading up to the Wraith) a bunch of times to effectively block the pathway, then run up to the upper level and push Kat down to the bottom. She takes out the Covies being dropped off by the dropship faster than any other Noble Team member.
tuhin94 wrote:
That would be pretty funny if they did it on purpose. But I don’t think it was intentional. They’ve joked about Kat’s poor driving in some of their videos, so it seems like that was the way the AI driving turned out. To be fair though, it’s been a good idea to drive in solo campaign in basically every situation in every game.
Bad allied AI in Reach is likely deliberate sabotage from Bungie. Look no further than the fact that the marines turn extremely slow whenever you wanted to swap guns with them. They also take forever to get into vehicles. Where Wraith turrets are concerned, they spend minutes running into the vehicle (yet they have no issue with stealing your hard-won Wraith and somehow using it against you).
The driving and the shooting is the same with pretty much everyone, the Covenant A.I. just get the better everything but the troopers are agressive like any Elite with the same equipement, it's ruined by their slow turning speed and poor combat awareness that's it.

The A.I. isn't very bright with vehicles that are unable to move in all directions like the common Covenant machine.
The rate of fire is an impossible one, like multiple weapons in that game, an A.I. with a Needle Rifle is even better than Kat, assuming it has the crosshair on a target long enough to unleash another impossible rate of fire, the attack range is also better.

With a Wraith, they usually run into one of the wings (being blocked for few seconds) but if they don't, your allies will usually immediately hop on the turret. The human A.I. takes a seat pretty fast sometimes but I doubt they going to do it Halo 2 style (get off the driver's seat and instantly zip to the passenger one) .
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2