Forums / Games / Legacy Halo

Did Halo 4's Campaign age well?

OP mariolanes7788

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I've been playing through all the Halo Games again and when I got to Halo 4 I had the most fun playing it this time than I have in the past. It was weird because I remember disliking Halo 4's campaign when it came out along with a lot of other people like my friends and family, along with reviewers, but now I actually feel like it's a pretty damn good campaign. I've watched some youtube videos on Halo 4's campaign like COGconnected "Halo 4... 4 Years Later" video and in these videos, it seems to praise Halo 4's story though it does say it's a good campaign like me it says it's at least okay. It makes me wonder if it actually aged really well, if Halo 5's campaign was so bad that it made Halo 4's look good, or if it's just me, but I would love some input.
Here's the thing: Halo 4 was always a good game, but because it looked and sounded (and somewhat played) so differently from previous Halo titles, it was understandably dismissed by the fans. You likely enjoyed it a lot more this time around because you no longer had expectations that the game didn't meet as well as the fact that you probably haven't played it as much as you played the earlier games, so it was a fresher experience.
Personally, for me Halo 4 has some major issues. Addressing the campaign; it's too short, it's levels are far too linear and many of the environments and enemies look and feel the same. However, its gunplay is really solid, as fun as you should expect from a Halo game, but it's limited by its environments (likely due to the technical limitations of the software and the inclusion of sprint as a feature).
Regarding the multiplayer, I think the maps are brilliant. Haven, Abandon, Exile, Longbow and Meltdown are all tremendously fun and memorable maps for me. As a more casual player who usually sticks to local splitscreen or system-link multiplayer, I thought it was great. Additions like magnets in Forge were very welcome, and I love what they did to Infection (Flood). I missed the traditional weapon pick-ups though. What they did to Slayer felt a little unlike Halo. Loadouts and Ordnance Drops should have been included in new gametypes without replacing the classics.
At the end of the day, so far even the worst Halo games are much better than any other game.
I've been playing through all the Halo Games again and when I got to Halo 4 I had the most fun playing it this time than I have in the past. It was weird because I remember disliking Halo 4's campaign when it came out along with a lot of other people like my friends and family, along with reviewers, but now I actually feel like it's a pretty damn good campaign. I've watched some youtube videos on Halo 4's campaign like COGconnected "Halo 4... 4 Years Later" video and in these videos, it seems to praise Halo 4's story though it does say it's a good campaign like me it says it's at least okay. It makes me wonder if it actually aged really well, if Halo 5's campaign was so bad that it made Halo 4's look good, or if it's just me, but I would love some input.
In terms of story or gameplay? It has a decent story but it has alot of stuff you have to read up on to understand
I really hated fighting Promethean enemies, in terms of design and their weapon sandbox.
Hokiebird does a pretty good video on it, if a bit melodramatic.
Ditto to what you said, Halo 5 makes Halo 4 look good in comparison, I've been feeling the exact same way...
I feel the story would’ve aged well had 343 gone a different route in Halo 5. The biggest issue I had with Halo 4’s campaign is I felt the levels were slogs to get through... But I actually really enjoyed the game, as the story kept me hooked.
Halo 4 was the first Halo I ever played and I think because I didn't grow up playing the Bungie Halos, I have always really liked the campaign and story from the beginning. Actually I appreciate it more now after playing the rest because I am even more familiar with the characters
I think it's a lot better than the h5 campaign, but I always had issues with cortana being a little too emotional in halo 4, but I guess thats what they wanted to write.
SPC RUTH wrote:
I think it's a lot better than the h5 campaign, but I always had issues with cortana being a little too emotional in halo 4, but I guess thats what they wanted to write.
It's a side effect from rampancy
The story is good but i have heard from other players that you have to read more of the books in order to actually fully understand the campaign. Regarding the multiplayer, i never got on with it but i did again enjoy the campaign.
I can't stand fighting Prometheans but enjoy the story of Halo 4.
Like you, I enjoyed it far more coming back to it after a long time.
I can't stand fighting Prometheans but enjoy the story of Halo 4.
Like you, I enjoyed it far more coming back to it after a long time.
Yh after a while it gets too much with the Prometheans but if you go away and come back after a while it does grow on you but still not my favourite Halo by a long shot to be honest.
Enjoyed Halo 4's story but gameplay lacked in the game plus prometheans are boring to fight.
I played it through and got all the campaign achievements and all I can say is that except for 'Reclaimer' Halo 4 is the only Halo game for which I never replay campaign levels just for fun.
I played through it. I like the Forerunner weapons a bit more than how they are in Halo 5, but that’s about it. I don’t particularly care for the story all that much, especially after Halo 5. While I was streaming the campaign a few days ago, I pointed out a few story flaws. Most of them revolves around “why couldn’t we have just flown here” or “why couldn’t we have just done X?”

The forerunner designs seem way too different from what they were before, I don’t like it as much.
In my opinion halo 5 is better.
I really hated fighting Promethean enemies, in terms of design and their weapon sandbox.
Hokiebird does a pretty good video on it, if a bit melodramatic.
I think hokiebird absolutely nailed it though , I still maintain had they taken another year of development time it would have so much better .
Halo 4 is, legitimately, my favorite. I loved the story, the gameplay was good (not unbearably slow, like the old ones and way better balanced than 5) and the progression system, in multiplayer, was rewarding but also didn't take literal years to complete, if you had anything else going on in your life.
I think the story is a great continuation from Halo 3. The only thing I didn't like was Del Rio, because he was such a jerk.
I think the story is a great continuation from Halo 3. The only thing I didn't like was Del Rio, because he was such a jerk.
Yeah, but he was supposed to be. It made a pretty sweet moment, when you catch up to the Infinity and Lasky's in charge.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2