Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Legacy Halo

halo 2 original xbox vs classic mcc graphics

OP DaffodilCow9876

I'm only talking about the classic graphics of Halo 2 on the master chief collection, compared to the original Xbox. I know it has higher resolution, the textures also have more and it runs at 60 fps. But other than that does anyone know if there are differences? If you know one give an example plz
Are you talking about the anniversary graphics compared to the classic, or, are you comparing the classic graphics of the MCC to the original Halo 2?
I'm only talking about the classic graphics of Halo 2 on the master chief collection, compared to the original Xbox. I know it has higher resolution, the textures also have more and it runs at 60 fps. But other than that does anyone know if there are differences? If you know one give an example plz
I would assume there are some differences considering the Halo 2 MCC classic graphics are a port of Halo 2 Vista, not Halo 2 Xbox. So whatever difference lie therein, you would probably find your answer.
As the level of detail of the models is based on the PC version's maximum settings, the geometry does see some level of improvement (though I admittedly don't know the exact extent of the improvement), and the contrast makes things bright and washed out. Those are the only two things I can say with confidence, though if you want to count it, emblems don't display as they did originally (inside of a colored box) in the lower right hand corner of the screen.
On the most recent April Feedback post, the first reply includes someone who took numerous side-by-side screenshots of legacy H2 versus MCC:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/84ad72a8b51847978545f685f651fc15/topics/mcc-feedback-xbox---april-2020/b506ba60-767e-45d6-a491-379dc65ab86f/posts

There is a surprisingly huge difference in which MCC H2 is wildly insufficient - sad, really.
WastedU6 wrote:
On the most recent April Feedback post, the first reply includes someone who took numerous side-by-side screenshots of legacy H2 versus MCC:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/84ad72a8b51847978545f685f651fc15/topics/mcc-feedback-xbox---april-2020/b506ba60-767e-45d6-a491-379dc65ab86f/posts

There is a surprisingly huge difference in which MCC H2 is wildly insufficient - sad, really.
Very sad, and the work done in that post detailing where MCC falls short was incredibly valuable. Now the post and the user are both gone... weird.
Wow, I think we all know why that post might be gone... Good observation. Valuable indeed.
If it's not possible to get full fidelity to the original Xbox versions in MCC, a straightforward solution would be to make the original Halo and Halo 2 available to purchase and play in backwards compatibility, as the Xbox 360 Halo games are.
If it's not possible to get full fidelity to the original Xbox versions in MCC, a straightforward solution would be to make the original Halo and Halo 2 available to purchase and play in backwards compatibility, as the Xbox 360 Halo games are.
It may not be as straightforward as you may think as differences may be caused from the hardware itself like having a digital or analogue television or differences from if you emulate the original xbox compared to playing on the original console.
So worth noting the ports go this order: H2 OGX > H2 Vista PC > H2 MCC XB1 > H2 MCC PC ... as you can imagine... there's been some things lost 4 layers deep.
It may not be as straightforward as you may think as differences may be caused from the hardware itself like having a digital or analogue television or differences from if you emulate the original xbox compared to playing on the original console.
I'm not aware of issues with Xbox Halo 2 being emulated on Xbox 360 (including hdmi-only models of that console). I assume it would require more than flipping a switch, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't technically possible for Xbox One and Series X/S, and less labour-intensive than patching the MCC port.

EDIT: https://halo.fandom.com/wiki/Halo_2_Screen_Shadows So there is apparently a visual glitch when playing on 360, at least with the disc. Depending on how frequently it appears, it sounds relatively minor compared with the discrepancies in the MCC port.
no doulbe shot, quad shot, no super bouncing.

Edit: Oh, graphics..idk it was such a long time ago.
I'm not aware of issues with Xbox Halo 2 being emulated on Xbox 360 (including hdmi-only models of that console). I assume it would require more than flipping a switch, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't technically possible for Xbox One and Series X/S, and less labour-intensive than patching the MCC port.

EDIT: https://halo.fandom.com/wiki/Halo_2_Screen_Shadows So there is apparently a visual glitch when playing on 360, at least with the disc. Depending on how frequently it appears, it sounds relatively minor compared with the discrepancies in the MCC port.
If I remember correctly, these artifacts occur when you hit certain loading sequences. Another issue which can be caused from emulating is reduced performance which can at least be seen with Halo CE (PAL) on Xbox 360. Another game which used to get greatly reduced performance after being played on Xbox One was Halo Reach.